View Full Version : Baby Drops Jacket

07-30-2010, 12:15 AM
I just finished this little set. It is Baby Drops 17-1. I have some annoying mistakes, like the button placement. But when I noticed it I was too far past it to feel like doing it over (again). I also learned I'm not good at Rev St st in the round. Techknitter suggested doing it as St st and turning it inside out. Good idea, but I was too far to go back on that too. Next time I'll know better.

07-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Didn't you knit it flat? Then Rev st st would just be like knitting st st except the purl rows are on the RS...

Looks good though - I should really look through Drops patterns and do more of them.

Jan in CA
07-30-2010, 12:34 AM
That's really cute! Was the button band added after then? I like EZ's method of doing buttonholes on a seamless, but knit flat pattern. You just put a buttonhole on both sides of the same row and then when you sew the button on you close the hole. If it's a regular buttonhole and not a YO you could still do the YO on the button side. They always match that way.

07-30-2010, 01:20 AM
Sue, the sleeves were knit in the round and then the works added together to form the yoke.

07-30-2010, 01:32 AM
Thanks. I think it is a cute pattern.

The pattern said to knit one of the button bands that is built right on, I call it a self button band. But I didn't do it that way. I like picked up bands better and did it that way.

I tired the new Tulips buttonholes by Techknitter. I did the whole buttonhole row once and counted and I had gained a stitch at each buttonhole. So I worked on my buttonhole swatch some more and did it over. After that time I counted again. One extra stitch for each buttonhole.:?? I have no idea what I'm doing wrong with the buttonhole. I can do it on the swatch where I only have 8 stitches to keep track of but give me 63 and I mess up. :lol: The buttonholes looked all right so I didn't want to try again, I just knit 2 stitches together at the left edge of each buttonhole on the next row. They look perfect. I guess my concentration/and or unfamiliarity with the buttonhole caused me to mess up the spacing.

07-30-2010, 03:16 AM
Everything you knit turns out wonderful, Judy, and this is no exception! Meh, so there are a few little glitches! Won't matter a bit on the baby!

Did you block it? Full soak block? Sometimes that straightens out the uneven stitches that you mentioned were bothering you.

This is an ADORABLE design! I love it to pieces!!!!

07-30-2010, 04:49 AM
I like it a lot. It is a very classic piece. I think babies should have selfmade outfits.

And I am a fan of the drops page. I am soon making another jacket for myself from the new collection.

07-30-2010, 07:37 AM
It turned out adorable!!! I wouldn't worry about those "glitches" - you're probably the only one who will notice them. :) Great job!!

07-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Ahhh, yeah, that would be a pain on dpns or circs. Though I don't mind purling, don't know if I could do small sleeves in the round purling every round.

Great job, none of your 'glitches' are visible.

07-30-2010, 10:34 AM
You are too hard on yourself. I think that is beautiful. You are the only one who sees flaws, no one else will see a thing wrong. Precious sweater and hat.

07-30-2010, 12:07 PM
ArtLady, I washed it and dried it in the dryer to "block" it. :) I'm glad you like it anyway (despite its flaws). Thanks. :hug: I really liked the design too. In some nicer yarn it would be very neat. If I did it again I think I would not do it all Rev St st though.

07-30-2010, 04:37 PM
I think it is super cute!

How I wish I had babies to knit for...

08-02-2010, 09:28 PM
That is an adorable pattern, and your knitting is beautiful. With a few changes it would be perfect for a baby boy, too.

08-05-2010, 04:17 AM
You did an excellent job! I love how the edging mimics the cables. Is that edging knitted or crocheted?

What I hate more than doing seams, is working on DPNs.

I have one important suggestion:
On the front edges of the bonnet, where the tie comes through the beading, cinch up the tie just a tad and then bring each side of the tie through the last opening again to secure it, so it can never get accidentally tighten too much around baby's neck.

08-05-2010, 04:30 AM
We knitters are so hard on ourselves! The jacket is adorable, as is the cap; it's amazing how much fun it is to see our little ones in the things we knit for them.

08-05-2010, 12:58 PM
The edging is crocheted. It is a simple chain up 4, dc in the first of those chain stitches, skip a ways and sc, then begin again with the chain.

Thanks for the suggestion about the ties. And thanks for looking.