PDA

View Full Version : How many times to rip back before giving up?

Irishmam
07-31-2010, 03:44 PM
I am trying to knit what I thought would be a simple and quick pair of slippers for my DD but it just is not knitting up the way I want/expected. It may be the pattern I chose or the yarn (she chose a 'rainbow' coloured 100% acrylic!).

So far I have ripped back 3 times and am now changing pattern.

What has been your own record number of rip-backs to the beginning before you gave up?

irishmam

suzeeq
07-31-2010, 08:03 PM
I dunno, maybe 5 or 6....

cindycactus
07-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Depends how much I like what I am knitting. Last fall I knitted two sweaters for my Great Granddaughters and I loved them and was determined to get them done. Ripped back 10 or 12 times. It was worth it. But if I really don't like how something is coming out I won't do it more that once or twice.

hyperactive
08-01-2010, 11:00 AM
An entire project? Not SO many times.
But parts of it/ beginnings... well 4 or 5 times, I guess.

My horror in ripping was this really nice ribbon style yarn, white, relatively thick that I had this spring. I had bought 2 balls, and could not get any more at that point (NOW they carry it again, duh!)
But I wanted to make something for a newborn out of it. Well, not so great. I tried like 6 different things. Everything turned out wobbely and thick, stiff, not good.

I finally knit a had with some lace pattern - for myself. I did rip that one out about 3 times, too.

Well, the string looks good. But I have not the least idea what would be the perfect pattern (drop stitch tunic maybe?) for it.

So that yarn I did rip out more then 10 times (compliments to the yarn: it did not suffer).

Good luck with your slippers!

Lana
08-01-2010, 12:32 PM
:shrug:

Please note my signature.

hyperactive
08-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Lana, your signature has always amused me! :)

Lana
08-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Lana, your signature has always amused me! :)

Happy to oblige. :woot:

Seriously, I think of ripping as just part of the knitting process.
I have decades of experience!

WandaT
08-03-2010, 08:10 AM
LOL - I, too, will rip as many times as it takes for me to be happy. I'm known as the Queen of Ripping in my knitting group. BUT, sometimes (after lots of ripping) I surrender to either the pattern or the yarn and decide they weren't a good match, then move on to either a different pattern or yarn.

Crycket
08-03-2010, 01:04 PM
to my content...

I don't think I have ever given up on a project because of frogging. A few times before I have to put it down and come back to it...but never forever!

hyperactive
08-04-2010, 05:26 PM
I just need to add: I just ripped the same head for a stuffed animal 4 times and I do not know what this try is going to end up being. I already had it sewn on once, but took it off again. But it shall be perfect and that is hard, so trying will be the key!

trvvn5
08-06-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm obstinant. I'll keep ripping until I get it. I will not let a pattern beat me.

Irishmam
08-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Oh Blimey! (please read with stong English accent)

Now I feel a complete quitter! :( I obviously was not that in love with the pattern to start with.

Irishmam