PDA

View Full Version : Book Recommendation to Learn Crochet

luvmeowers
08-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Hello!

I have been knitting for a few years and am really interested in learning to crochet. There are so many books out there that I just don't know where to start. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for beginner books. :)

Thanks!

MGM
08-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Aaack! Don't go out and buy a book! There are so many great resources online where you can learn to crochet for free. I'll offer my website as one: www.HookedOnNeedles.com (http://www.HookedOnNeedles.com) and I would love to teach you how to crochet! I even take requests for video tutorials!

I know there are lots of others as well, and plenty of people in this forum ready and willing to help out.

MGM

luvmeowers
08-24-2010, 08:36 PM
I've already found your site. It was part of my inspiration for wanting to learn. :)

Unfortunately, our wi-fi doesn't work so I can't get internet in my living room (yet!) where it is most comfy to hang out.

MGM
08-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Bummer! Come to my living room and I'll teach you in person! Wouldn't that be fun? I hope you can make some use of my videos anyway, maybe to get you started, then you can go get cozy and practice!

MGM

lenaznap
08-25-2010, 01:00 AM
My favorite crochet book(s) that helped me when I was teaching myself were the Harmony Guide crochet books. I don't have them handy, but I'm pretty sure that in addition to loads of stitches, it had some very helpful introductory material that talks about basic stitches, construction, finishing, yarn & hook selection, etc. I'm not sure it is in print anymore, but many libraries probably have them.

luvmeowers
08-25-2010, 01:03 PM
:yay: MGM - That would be fantastic! You are so inspirational. I just love your web site. When it's time for me to purchase my sewing machine, I'm coming to you for suggestions!

MGM
08-25-2010, 03:03 PM
:aww: Ah shucks, thanks!

I don't know how much help I'll be when purchasing a new sewing machine! Mine is over 26 years old and I don't think they make machines like mine anymore...it's a Singer, completely mechanical, with one-step buttonholer and bobbin winding right inside the machine. No fancy bells and whistles, but a real workhorse. I have not looked at machines since I purchased mine, and I really hope I don't have to for a very long time. They are so expensive now!

Have fun with your crocheting!

MGM