PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Oddball Orphan Blanket - "Fiesta"!

Shandeh
08-31-2010, 08:50 AM
Hello amazing charity knitters!

Believe it or not, we are starting up another large Oddball Blanket. This morning, I finished up a blanket we worked on over the past few years, and it's on the way to an orphanage in Mexico. (Josiah and Bethany Children's Home (http://www.lastdaysministries.org/Groups/1000021295/Last_Days_Ministries/Orphanage/Orphanage_Today/Orphanage_Today.aspx))
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/4944481537_966fce621b.jpg

Now, we are starting up our second blanket for the orphanage.
I finished the first section last night, and it's FULL of color!
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4094/4944554917_85d756097e.jpg

We have 12 knitters. Each knitter will knit for about 5 inches. (Keep in mind that every row has 200 stitches.)

If you would like to join in on knitting some sections of our blanket, just reply here. :hug:

I will need the following information from knitters:
Name, mailing address, pets? smoker?, allergic to pets?, allergic to tobacco?

I arrange knitters so that all allergic knitters are first in line, then we finish up with pet owners and smokers. When the blanket is complete, I will finish it up, give it a good wash, and mail it to the orphanage.

Here are our instructions for working on the blanket:
http://oddballknitters.blogspot.com/2007/09/oddball-lapghans.html

HollyP
08-31-2010, 10:54 AM
You know I am in!

mspwrz
08-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Are the large blankets worsted weight acrylic? I would like to participate if possible. I think it would be fun to do this!

Shandeh
08-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Are the large blankets worsted weight acrylic? I would like to participate if possible. I think it would be fun to do this!
Yes ma'am! We actually use any washable worsted weight yarn. Acrylic or blends. I would love to have you participate in our blanket, my friend! Just send me a private message with your name and mailing address, and I'll add you to the list.

I also need to know if you are allergic to pets, and if you are a smoker, or are allergic to tobacco. I like to arrange our knitters so that all allergic knitters are first in line. Smokers and pet owners are last. When our blanket is complete, I finish it up, give it a good wash, and mail it to the orphanage.

Shandeh
08-31-2010, 06:09 PM
You know I am in!
Yay! Thanks Holly! :cheering:

I know your mailing address. Now, remind me if you are a pet owner, smoker, or have any allergies. Just send me a private message. :hug:

mspwrz
08-31-2010, 08:53 PM
I also need to know if you are allergic to pets, and if you are a smoker, or are allergic to tobacco. I like to arrange our knitters so that all allergic knitters are first in line. Smokers and pet owners are last. When our blanket is complete, I finish it up, give it a good wash, and mail it to the orphanage.

I am a non-smoker. I am NOT Allergic to pets but have a dog, so you can put me further down the list of knitters if you need to. I have pleanty of acrylics and blends in my stash as well. Thanks for including me!

Shandeh
09-01-2010, 02:51 AM
Thanks Rhonda!
I just got your private message, and sent another message asking for the info you just provided. So, just ignore that message.
:hug:

yarncharmer
09-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Shandeh,
The first blanket you all did is beautiful :) I may be able to help with the new blanket but will let you know for sure in a couple of days. I just wanted to point out that your link with the directions say to knit for 3 inches but your post says 4 inches...

Happy Knitting!

msbookie
09-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Count me in too! We're a non-smoking house but we do have pets. I'll send you a PM with all my other details.

Beth

msbookie
09-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I'd like to be a part of this one also!

Shandeh
09-01-2010, 11:37 AM
The first blanket you all did is beautiful :) I may be able to help with the new blanket but will let you know for sure in a couple of days. I just wanted to point out that your link with the directions say to knit for 3 inches but your post says 4 inches...Happy Knitting!
Thanks! I've decided to use fewer knitters than the usual amount for this blanket. So, we will be knitting an inch more. I think I will make a new page of directions for the orphan blankets. Thanks for letting me know about the discrepancy!
:thumbsup:
Count me in too! We're a non-smoking house but we do have pets. I'll send you a PM with all my other details. Beth
Thanks Beth! :hug:

purlingkitten
09-01-2010, 11:50 AM
I would like to help with this blanket. Sending pm with info.

krismorales
09-01-2010, 02:37 PM
I'd like to help with this blanket also. We are a non-smoking house, but have a dog. I can pm my address to you. :woot:

ewalker
09-01-2010, 06:41 PM
I would like to participate. We do have a dog who lives in our home but she does not bother my knitting.

I am allergic to cats in a big way and smoke makes my asthma flare up. Thats all.....

Elaine

sgtpam
09-01-2010, 08:49 PM
I'll take a spot on this one...non-smoking, one dog and lots of yarn!:knitting:

Shandeh
09-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Thank you, my friends! We are filling up with knitters quickly on this blanket! :woohoo:

PeattieWa
09-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Please sign me up! Becky No Pets, non-smoker!

Shandeh
09-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Please sign me up! Becky No Pets, non-smoker!
Thanks for joining us, Becky! :hug:

Shandeh
09-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Right now, I have 8 knitters on this blanket, and I need 8 more. So, we are halfway ready!

This list is NOT in order. Just need to confirm all those who are participating.

Shandeh, mspwrz, HollyP, msbookie, purlingkitten, krismorales, sgtpam, and PeattieWa.

Anyone else want to join us in knitting this blanket for charity? If necessary, I can ask Ravelry knitters to join us, but I wanted to check with KHers first. :heart: :hug: :heart:

traceleighj
09-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Right now, I have 8 knitters on this blanket, and I need 8 more. So, we are halfway ready!
Hi Shandeh! I can join too!!

Shandeh
09-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for joining us, Tracie! :cheering:

ewalker
09-07-2010, 05:16 PM

This list is NOT in order. Just need to confirm all those who are participating.

Shandeh, mspwrz, HollyP, msbookie, purlingkitten, krismorales, sgtpam, and PeattieWa.

Anyone else want to join us in knitting this blanket for charity? If necessary, I can ask Ravelry knitters to join us, but I wanted to check with KHers first. :heart: :hug: :heart:

I would like to participate. Non-smoking home with one dog who does not bother my knitting. I am very allergic to cats.

Shandeh
09-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Hi Elaine! :)
Thanks for joining in our charity blanket project! :heart:

All I need now is for you to send me a private message here in the forum, letting me know your name and mailing address.

HollyP
09-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Replying so I can subscribe to the thread. Also I have to say I love how generous KHers are with knitting for charity!!!:grphug:

gmmarton
10-09-2010, 04:46 AM
Hi Shandeh,

I'd love to participate with this Oddball Project if you still need knitters. No pets, no allergies, non-smoking house...I will PM my school addy just in case you don't have it any more. And if I am too late for this project, no problemo.

Thanks for posting the info about the first blanket heading out to the Mexican Orphanage. That sure is one beautiful blanket. So glad to have worked on that one too!

Best always,

Gail

Shandeh
10-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Thank you, Gail! :muah:

I really want to keep this project in the Knitting Help Forum only. Right now, I have 10 confirmed knitters. (Still waiting for more information from yarncharmer and ewalker.)

I will wait until October 13th, then we will get going.

dawn1838
10-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Thank you, Gail! :muah:

I really want to keep this project in the Knitting Help Forum only. Right now, I have 10 confirmed knitters. (Still waiting for more information from yarncharmer and ewalker.)

I will wait until October 13th, then we will get going.

I would like to knit on this blanket. Add me to the list. No allergies, non-smoking, but I do have a dog.

Shandeh
10-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Hi Dawn! :)
Would love to add you to the group. Just send me a private message with your name and mailing address, and I'll put you on the list.

Shandeh
10-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Thank you all for your quick response! :)

Now, our list is final. There are only 12 of us, so we will need to each knit 5 inches on the blanket. (I am knitting two sections - one at the start, and one at the end.)

Please only knit for 5 inches on your section, because the blanket needs to be 65 inches long. This will make it the correct size for a bed at the orphanage. :thumbsup:

Here is our list of knitters, in the order they will be knitting:

Shandeh (NC) - completed
dawn1838 (NC)
ewalker (GA)
HollyP (VA)
msbookie (TN)
gmmarton (CT)
traceleighj (MN)
PeattieWa (WA)
purlingkitten (WA)
krismorales (CA)
mspwrz (TX)
sgtpam (TX)
Shandeh (NC)

Does this work for everyone?

ewalker
10-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Fine for me.

Thank you all for your quick response! :)
Now, our list is final. There are only 12 of us, so we will need to each
knit 5 inches on the blanket. (I am knitting two sections - one at the start, and one at the end.)

Please only knit for 5 inches on your section, because the blanket needs to be 65 inches long. This will make it the correct size for a bed at the orphanage. :thumbsup:

Here is our list of knitters, in the order they will be knitting:

Shandeh (NC) - completed
dawn1838 (NC)
ewalker (GA)
HollyP (VA)
msbookie (TN)
gmmarton (CT)
traceleighj (MN)
PeattieWa (WA)
purlingkitten (WA)
krismorales (CA)
mspwrz (TX)