PDA

View Full Version : Reading beret pattern

Mizukuro
09-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Hello, I've just started knitting and I was wondering about what this part of the beret pattern meant "When decreasing, ensure that the number of sts decreased corresponds with the number of yarn overs. Where this is not possible, work K1 instead."

Here is the rest of the pattern:
Wave Lace Stitch Pattern:
Row 1 (RS): k1, *k2tog 3 times, (k1, yo) 6 times, k1, k2tog 3 times; rep from *, k1
Rows 2 and 4: p all sts, including yo's
Row 3: k

CO 154 sts. Purl 1 row.
Work Wave Lace Stitch Pattern.
When work meas 6.25" (16 cm) ending with Row 4 completed, dec on Row 1 by omitting all yo's - 106 sts
Cont in pat and dec every 4th row 2 more times - 10 sts
K 1 row.
Cut yarn, leaving a long tail. With tapestry needle, thread tail through remaining sts and pull tightly to close top of hat. Weave in ends on WS.
Pick up 154 sts along CO edge.
K Row 1, dec 72 times evenly across row by working k2tog - 82 sts
Work in garter st (knit every row) until band meas 2" (5 cm).
BO.

I am also not sure about the part that says dec every 4th row 2 more times. Do I continue to decrease in the 1st row or am I now doing it in the 4th row, and if so how? Thank you so much :).

suzeeq
09-05-2010, 01:15 PM
This part "When decreasing, ensure that the number of sts decreased corresponds with the number of yarn overs. Where this is not possible, work K1 instead." is for the dec section. So if you've decreased but don't have enough sts for a full repeat, do k1 instead of k2tog.

Dec on the first dec row, then every 4th row after that one (the 5th, 9th, etc after the first dec row.

Mizukuro
09-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Thank you so much. :) :) :) :) :)