PDA

View Full Version : Bernat Mystery Afghan CAL

ShanaHoo
08-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Just got the e-mail from Bernat about the Mystery Afghan Crochet-along on the Bernat blog. Anyone else thinking of participating? I think it could be crazy fun, but I don't think I'm excited about using Softee Chunky--- I wish there were more color choices. I'm thinking about using an ombre for one of the contrasting colors and matching solids for the other four.

Shandeh
09-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Hello happy crocheters! :waving:

Just wanted to let you all know about the Mystery Afghan Crochet-Along on the Bernat Yarn website. It will be starting September 22nd, with new clues released every week.

Here's a link to the CAL: http://bernat.com/CAL2010intro/

I'm just a beginner with crochet, but I'm joining in so I will learn a few things. Are any of you participating?

Rosey2376
09-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the link :muah:

I'm SERIOUSLY tempted. I have too many other things I should be doing (like 'proper' work for one). But it sounds intruiging.

I'm new to crochet too, and I'm not sure I can get Bernat Softee Chunky, but sounds like fun :mrgreen:

ShanaHoo
09-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Hello happy crocheters! :waving:

Just wanted to let you all know about the Mystery Afghan Crochet-Along on the Bernat Yarn website. It will be starting September 22nd, with new clues released every week.

Here's a link to the CAL: http://bernat.com/CAL2010intro/

I'm just a beginner with crochet, but I'm joining in so I will learn a few things. Are any of you participating?

I really want to, but I'm having a bear of a time picking colors. :???:

I'm not a beginner, but I've never done a CAL before.

Shandeh
09-08-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm new to crochet too, and I'm not sure I can get Bernat Softee Chunky, but sounds like fun :mrgreen:
You can use ANY chunky yarn. I'm making my afghan with Bernat Baby Coordinates Chunky, and I'm not making as many squares as everyone else, because I have arthritis. My blanket will be baby-sized.

I really want to, but I'm having a bear of a time picking colors. :???:
I know what you mean! It's especially hard to choose, since we don't know what it will look like when it's complete. I guess we should choose light colors where they have designated light shades, and the same goes for dark colors. But, I believe it will look nice no matter what colors we decide to use.

MGM
09-08-2010, 11:02 PM
This sounds like fun! I need to make a wedding gift afghan for my nephew, so perhaps I'll pick yarn for this project in the colors his bride-to-be likes.

Thanks for the link, Sandy!

MGM

OffJumpsJack
09-09-2010, 10:58 PM
:doh:

An mystery afghan CAL sound intriguing but I am putting all my time in trying to finish a baby blanket before the baby out grows it. Afghans are big and the baby blanket is my largest project so far (40" x 40" with just about 22" of length done.) :oops:

mspwrz
09-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Sounda like fun. I may try to do this ad I have not crocheted much lately.

ShanaHoo
09-14-2010, 09:29 PM
I finally picked colors and ordered yarn (not realizing that the coupon code for 25% off expired on the 4th, GRR)!

I kind of took my cues from the Summerset Ombre because I liked the way those colors fit together... and then I filled it in with colors I thought would be interesting to use (mostly the new ones)... I think my afghan will end up looking kind of fall-ish?? Crossed Fingers :eyebrow2: :think:

Rouge (6)
Fern (2)
Redwood (2)
Pumpkin (2)
Bronze (7)

Kind of dark, but most every other project I've done this year has been pinks or blues (or BRITE), so I think working with dark earthy colors will be a good change.

Anyone else able to pull the trigger yet?

Shandeh
09-15-2010, 01:14 PM
This sounds like fun! I need to make a wedding gift afghan for my nephew, so perhaps I'll pick yarn for this project in the colors his bride-to-be likes.
Good plan! :thumbsup:

An mystery afghan CAL sound intriguing but I am putting all my time in trying to finish a baby blanket before the baby out grows it.
I know how you feel! I have WAY too many projects on the needles and hooks right now. But, I think my spirit thrives on confusion and chaos. :roflhard:

Sounda like fun. I may try to do this ad I have not crocheted much lately.
Go for it! :)

I finally picked colors............I think my afghan will end up looking kind of fall-ish??
Oooo! Pretty colors! :inlove:

MGM
09-15-2010, 03:04 PM
I just ordered my yarn through Herrschners.com using the promotion code EH1 for free shipping (good through 9/30) and saved over $11 in shipping costs! The forest yarn is backordered but only for another few days. I substituted the lavendar for pumpkin for a more cozy look.

This will be fun!

MGM

Rosey2376
09-16-2010, 02:13 AM
I'm struggling. I really want to do this, but I just haven't got the capital to buy all the yarn at once. I'm skint!

I have a stash of chunky wool from a sweater I'm gonna frog. So at least I have the right kinda yarn, the right gauge. Its a multi-coloured thing, so its not gonna show stitches too well.
http://www.knitandsew.co.uk/Sirdar_Click_Chunky_with_wool_Wild_112.htm

Have been to the LYS and bought 4 different plain balls of the same yarn so that I have options.

Its so hard to know what to do. I cant work out how 45 8" squares is going to make a 52x68" afgan, so I cant plan out which colour I should use and whether I can get away with the Click Chunky.

So mine is even more of a mystery than most.
I am so impatient!

Shandeh
09-16-2010, 11:04 AM
I just ordered my yarn through Herrschners.com using the promotion code EH1 for free shipping (good through 9/30) and saved over $11 in shipping costs!
Cool! I know you're excited! I sure am. :woohoo:

I'm struggling. I really want to do this, but I just haven't got the capital to buy all the yarn at once.
I know how you feel! Lots of times, I will use 40% Off coupons at AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, or Michaels, to buy yarn one skein at a time - one or two purchases a day. It's slow, but it works! I think your chunky yarn should work well for the project. :thumbsup: Good luck!

MGM
09-18-2010, 04:14 PM
My yarn shipment left Chicago at 1:31 this morning! I love being able to track shipments on UPS! I am just hoping the first installment of this pattern does not call for the forest yarn as that is still back ordered!

Anyone else doing color substitutions on this one? The lavendar didn't seem appealing to me, so I substituted pumpkin. I thought the greens looked fabulous though!

MGM

Shandeh
09-19-2010, 03:35 PM
I just got my yarn a few days ago! Woo Hoo!
I'm using Bernat Baby Coordinates, and will not make as many squares as everyone else. Mine will be a baby blanket.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4107/4998753397_2e49d1e7a5.jpg

MGM
09-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Oooh Sandy, I like it! It will be so fun to see all the different afghans that come from this event.

MGM

ShanaHoo
09-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Yay, I got mine today!

Shandeh
09-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Whoa! GORGEOUS COLORS, ShanaHoo!
:thud:

MGM
09-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Wow, those are gorgeous colors! Mine should be here tomorrow! Love the UPS tracking feature!

MGM

Rosey2376
09-21-2010, 04:30 AM
One day to go and I've got ants in my pants :nails:

Might have to knit something today, just to pass the time :X:

ShanaHoo
09-24-2010, 10:26 PM
I don't know how I did this to myself (I think my sister wanting to practice crocheting so she can join the charity crocheters group at school probably had something to do with it), but I went to start my gauge swatch and realized that I have size H, I, K, L hooks, but no J!! Why did I not realize this until now? :doh: Craft store trip for me tomorrow! I'm so anxious to start working on the first clue!

melmac51
09-28-2010, 01:32 AM
...okay...i'll give it a go. :thumbsup:

Shandeh
09-28-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm enjoying working on it so far! I can't post any photos, because Bernat has asked the Bernat Bloggers to provide our photos and comments for the yarn website. So, you guys have seen the only photo I can share so far. My yarn! :teehee:

Keep watching the Bernat Blog (http://blog.bernat.com/) for my updates!
Here's the first post:
http://blog.bernat.com/2010/09/27/bernat-staff-and-bloggers-get-hooked-on-the-crochet-along/

Looking forward to seeing all your blankets here! :hug:

MGM
10-06-2010, 10:45 PM
I was able to finish one of the Clue #3 blocks in about an hour this evening. That included working 4 rows, ripping it out, then working it over again to get the right size! I really like the V stitch and the Fern color. I think it would make a very pretty wrap or shawl!

With the first two blocks, my gauge was right on target with the pattern, but with this clue, I had to increase my beginning chain to 31 to get the 8 inch width, then I worked 14 rows to get an 8 x 8 square. It's actually 8 x 8 and a little extra like maybe a quarter inch, but once the squares are put together, this little difference will work itself out. I'm not worried about it.

I'm glad this clue requires 8 blocks so I'll be able to work on it each evening, and next Wednesday won't seem so far away!

Sandy, thanks for posting about this CAL. I'm so glad I joined up!

MGM

Shandeh
10-07-2010, 09:52 AM
I like the V-stitch too! But, man oh man, I had to start that square about 5 times before I got it right.

I was in the midst of the 6th time, when I remembered reading someone's post that they understood the 2nd clue better after looking at the chart. So, I took a look at the chart for the 3rd clue, and finally saw where the stitches should line up. :doh:

I'm gonna look at the charts for reference from now on. Makes the pattern so much easier to understand! :thumbsup:

mspwrz
10-07-2010, 04:45 PM
I ordered my yarn today for th CAL. I have the first three clues downloaded and printed so I can catch up quickly as soon as the yarn arrives. I am hoping to use this as a Christmas present for my Mom. :woot: I chose the following colors: Walnut-6, Mauve-7, Forest-2, Pumpkin-2 and Bronze-2. My thought was that the two darker large lots would create a reverse colorway from the original suggestions since they replace the two lighter colors. We shall see since it is a mystery! It will complimment the neutral colors in her room anyway.

Shandeh
10-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Oooo! I just love reading the NAMES of your colors, Rhonda! :inlove:

mspwrz
10-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Oooo! I just love reading the NAMES of your colors, Rhonda! :inlove:

I kinda wanted to do brites for myself but could not make the choices I really wanted. Mom will like it. Later, I want to make an afghan for myself and I want to make a blanket of various colored blocks and strips 6x6, 6X12 and 12X12 kind of like the charity blankets. It would be fun to collect blocks from my kniting and crocheting friends but not sure how to do that.

MGM
10-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Not so sure how I feel about clue #4! I think it's kind of interesting to have a multicolored block, and one that uses several different height stitches to make the pattern, but good heavens! So many ends to deal with! Glad there's only four of this block needed! I suppose I'll reserve final judgment on this block until I see how it fits in with the whole design.

What do you think about clue #4?

MGM

mspwrz
10-14-2010, 04:22 PM
I just got my yarn in the mail yesterday and I am already working on the Clue #3 blocks. I have been lucky that my guage has been good on the first two blocks but the third is off. I am going to have to go up a size to get it.

On the Cllue #4 blocks,... I kinda like the idea of a multi-colored block. I think the end will justify the means once it is finished. It will also break up the monotony of single colored blocks.

One observation about the CAL... There sure have been a LOT of people whining and complaining. These folks need to get over it and quit stressing out. RELAX, have fun and enjoy the process. Sometimes we have to FROG things. Life is to short to let it wreck your day. Sorry. but it has really started to bother me how many people are gripeing and complaining about the clues and not getting pictures till a week later. HELLO! It is Mystery Crochet-A-Long!!!!

Sorry to vent like this but I HATE when compliners sap the fun out of things. I am going to have to kick them off my energy bus!!!:thumbsup:

Enjoy the CAL and Happy Crocheting!!!

Shandeh
10-14-2010, 09:57 PM
I have learned SO MUCH in this CAL! :shock:

When I first started, the only thing I knew how to do was "free-style" crochet. :teehee: I knew how to do single-crochet, and half-doubles, but nothing else. And I could only read VERY basic patterns.

But, now I know how to do singles, half-doubles, doubles, and trebles! And I'm actually understanding what I read in the patterns! :woohoo:

There is hope for me after all. :)

Rhonda, I'm with you about the complainers. Ugh! :roll:
I find that a lot in some of the Ravelry groups too. It's nice to come in here and talk to positive people. :hug:

MGM
10-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Rhonda, I had the gauge right for the first two also, but for #3 my block ended up too small. Instead of increasing my hook size, which would make the feel of the crocheting different than the first two blocks, I made the beginning chain 31 and worked 13 rows to get my 8 x 8 block. In my previous comment on this, I had only finished one block with 14 rows which ended up a little too big but ended on the row indicated in the pattern. I decided to end on the row before to get the correct measurement instead, and all my blocks turned out exactly the same, 8 x 8.

For clue #4, I have taken care of all the ends so the block looks much less like it's having a bad hair day, and I think I like it! I noticed in the instructions it says that the single crochet rows are the right side of the block, but I actually prefer the side which shows the colored stripes from the right side, so I will use that as my right side.

I agree about the complainers on the blog! My goodness, if you are not having fun doing this project, don't do it! But if you have something constructive to share which might be helpful to someone else, let's hear it! If I didn't enjoy this, I'd rip it all out right now and move on. Instead, I'm checking the calendar only to find out that the next clue is still almost a whole week away... time to practice patience!

Have fun with your blocks!

MGM

mspwrz
10-15-2010, 12:12 AM
[QUOTE=MGM;1302868]Rhonda, I had the gauge right for the first two also, but for #3 my block ended up too small. Instead of increasing my hook size, which would make the feel of the crocheting different than the first two blocks, I made the beginning chain 31 and worked 13 rows to get my 8 x 8 block. In my previous comment on this, I had only finished one block with 14 rows which ended up a little too big but ended on the row indicated in the pattern. I decided to end on the row before to get the correct measurement instead, and all my blocks turned out exactly the same, 8 x 8.

I would have tried that had we talked earllier. Since I almost have three done, think I will keep it on this block. If it happens again, I may wait and find out what others are doing first. I want to keep up and my focus this weekend will be catching up. I am looking forward to starting on the striped blocks. I was afraid I would start a firestorm by venting but I HATE when people suck the fun out of things. I am making this for my 80-year-old mom and it is a huge project because I have such a busy schedule. I am determined to have fun or I will not finish it!

Shandeh
10-15-2010, 02:48 PM
I haven't focused so much on gauge for mine, since I'm a beginner (and I'm working on about 10 other knitting projects at the same time). I have just been happy to finish each square.

If I can't get them to block to the right size, I'll just add a border of single crochet around the ones that are too small. :wink:

mspwrz
10-15-2010, 03:53 PM
This is the first time I have ever done a guage swatch and I did it because I was following all the complaints about the guage being off in the Bernat Blog. I figured I had better check the guage and mine was spot on for the first two. Adjusted easily for clue # 3. I have one more block to go then I can start clue # 4! I will be totally caught up this weekend. I have even thought about starting a second afghan from stash yarn for a second christmas present. I do not want to overload myself though.

ShanaHoo
10-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Ah, you ladies crack me up! I'm having the exact opposite situation with my guage-- My squares for the first two clues are a bit too large, but my V-stitch squares are spot-on PERFECT. :rofl:

I'm a bit behind right now (had to finish some baby projects, mom came to visit, missing some equipment), but I'm hoping to catch up this weekend.

Doing the V-stitch squares was fun for me because it brought back memories. When I was 18 I made myself a blue and orange afghan in all V-stitch after I recieved my letter of acceptance from the University of Virginia (Go 'Hoos!). Obviously, I was excited.

mspwrz
10-17-2010, 09:43 AM
The Clue # 4 block is so pretty in all the colors! It is a little time consuming to make because of the color changes but the result is so worth the time. I made the first two at a football game last night without checking the guage but they turned out perfect.

MGM
11-08-2010, 05:22 PM
I finally finished all 16 blocks for clue #5 last night and made 2 blocks of clue #6. So now I just have to finish two more of clue #6 and then work up clue #7 before Wednesday to be caught up!

How's everyone else doing?

MGM

Shandeh
11-09-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm caught up, because I am not making as many blocks as everyone else, since mine is a baby blanket. I really love the way the squares look, when crocheted with Bernat Baby Coordinates Chunky. I had never used that yarn before, and just LOVE working with it! cloud9

Bernat hasn't posted all of the bloggers squares on the website yet, but I have agreed to keep my photos offline so they can publish them. If they don't post our photos, I'll post them here soon. Time will tell!