PDA

View Full Version : Intarsia first timer!

tschoenike
09-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Hi there,

I'm attempted intarsia for the first time in a child's sweater. It is a polka dotted pattern and I know that I need to use "bobbins" or separate threads of yarn for each polka dot. But do I need to use separate strands of the primary color as well? Here's the chart that comes with the pattern - they are small dots - only 4 stiches wide. I'm finding that they are puckering in at the edges and so I'm figuring I'm doing something wrong.

tschoenike
09-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Hi there,

I'm attempted intarsia for the first time in a child's sweater. It is a polka dotted pattern and I know that I need to use "bobbins" or separate threads of yarn for each polka dot. But do I need to use separate strands of the primary color as well? Here's the chart that comes with the pattern - they are small dots - only 4 stiches wide. I'm finding that they are puckering in at the edges and so I'm figuring I'm doing something wrong.

Sorry the attachment didn't take the first time - here is the chart.

Jan in CA
09-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Are you sure you aren't supposed to do that using stranding (fair isle)? Normally intarsia is used for large blocks of color that you wouldn't want to carry the yarn across.

I wouldn't even attempt this one using intarsia myself. Because yes, you usually have a bobbin the main color on either side of the secondary color.

hyperactive
09-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi!
you CAN use seperate strands of the main color.

I personally would just strand it behind the dots. That will be less efford than tying in all the ends when you are done.

If you run a strand for 4 stitches you may want to twist your yarns.

you can just do that by dropping your strands and twisting them once around one another (or halfways if you manage). Or you can go the royal road of true mulitcolor knitting as here: http://www.philosopherswool.com/Pages/Twohandedvideo.htm

I knit Continental style and work both strands over my index finger but with dots this small I would probably just pick up every time.

hyperactive
09-14-2010, 04:19 PM
I just want to add that I do think "partial intarsia" is useful here: work with seperate strands of the dot yarn It will not be so useful to carry that color across just for those dots.

tschoenike
09-14-2010, 04:59 PM
I just want to add that I do think "partial intarsia" is useful here: work with seperate strands of the dot yarn It will not be so useful to carry that color across just for those dots.

That's what I've been attempting. I guess I'm having problems with the twisting. I did figure out one thing I'm doing wrong when I change from the solid color to the dot color but I'm still struggling with how to "twist" the yarn when switching from the dot color back to the solid color since I'm attempting to carry the solid color across on the "wrong side" of the piece.

hyperactive
09-14-2010, 05:44 PM
just look at the piece: you want to twist the yarn around one another so that there is no hole when you change from one to the other.

But I meant: weave in the strands that you carry by twisting the yarns around every 2 stitches.

I do not have time tonight to make a video. Otherways I would.

But look at the link I gave you. She shows how she does it (probably the most elaborate way of all!)

What way do you knit? Yarn in left or right hand? Once we know that we can probably get you better help.
I am working on a 2 color project now after finishing one that had 3 colors in several parts. I am getting better by the day :)

tschoenike
09-15-2010, 06:40 AM
just look at the piece: you want to twist the yarn around one another so that there is no hole when you change from one to the other.

But I meant: weave in the strands that you carry by twisting the yarns around every 2 stitches.

I do not have time tonight to make a video. Otherways I would.

But look at the link I gave you. She shows how she does it (probably the most elaborate way of all!)

What way do you knit? Yarn in left or right hand? Once we know that we can probably get you better help.
I am working on a 2 color project now after finishing one that had 3 colors in several parts. I am getting better by the day :)

Thank you for your help. I typically knit yarn in the left hand. I incorporated the above technique and it seems to be working although I need to work on keeping my tension in the dots the same as the rest of the piece. The more I get done I think that's my main problem but that link definitely helped me figure out the "twisting" to prevent holes in the piece at the color changes.

happylittleknits
10-04-2010, 10:56 AM
I am going to check out the videos posted above!! Thanks so much for posting them. I am trying to knit intarsia in the round...ugh.... the pattern is a phoenix and it varies as to how many stitches there are across and then there are some background stitches in the middle which lead to stranding!! I have taken it out about 5 times and I am going nuts. I hate when I have what "I think" is a brilliant idea and it causes me days of aggravation. Thanks to the OP for posting the question and for all those who are so helpful!! :muah:

Jan in CA
10-04-2010, 11:05 AM
I am going to check out the videos posted above!! Thanks so much for posting them. I am trying to knit intarsia in the round...ugh.... the pattern is a phoenix and it varies as to how many stitches there are across and then there are some background stitches in the middle which lead to stranding!!

Intarsia is usually done flat. That's not to say it can't be done in the round, but it's more complicated. The videos we have are very good, but they won't help with intarsia in the round. I saw this the other day...a new video with new techniques for knitting intarsia in the round.
http://www.interweavestore.com/Knitting/Video/Inside-Intarsia-Anne-Berk.html