PDA

View Full Version : FO: Drops 110-28 - my gray shrug / bolero

hyperactive
09-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi!
I still owe you my second vacation project from this summer. I finally made pics to show.

It is the Bolero 110-28 by Drops. I made it from Drops Nepal (not Alaska) and in a darker color than listed.

This is a really nice and practial piece for sporty dress up. I do like wearing it and get nice compliments about it.

Here it is:

http://images4.ravelry.com/uploads/hyperactive/41014175/DROPS_shrug_9_medium2.jpg

http://images4.ravelry.com/uploads/hyperactive/41014043/DROPS_shrug_4_medium2.jpg

http://images4.ravelry.com/uploads/hyperactive/41014000/DROPS_shrug_3_medium2.jpg

http://images4.ravelry.com/uploads/hyperactive/41014085/DROPS_shrug_6_medium2.jpg

You can find more pics on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/projects/hyperactive/110-28-bolero-in-berry-pattern-and-rib-in-alaska

but I do not want to flood this thread with images.

Unfortunately I now have to make not just 1 but 2 more, since people I really like want to have one. So I need to make it. But there are no deadlines and the wishes go for x-mas for one and a birthday-gift for june for the other and I will make both, no problem.

This piece is such a fun knit!

Jan in CA
09-27-2010, 01:17 PM
That came out great, hyper!

hyperactive
09-27-2010, 01:22 PM
thank you very much! I love wearing it, too.:cheering:

Abbers1026
09-27-2010, 01:52 PM
very pretty nice work

kmaclean
09-27-2010, 02:15 PM
It turned out just lovely! You do beautiful work :inlove:
It looks like it will be a very wearable piece as well, which is great!

Lana
09-28-2010, 11:27 AM
:yay:WAY COOL!!!

It that blackberry stitch?

bambi
09-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Turned out beautifully!

hyperactive
09-29-2010, 03:05 AM
thanks again!
and, yes, the way I know it, it is raspberry stitch, but if there is a difference to blackberry stitch I would look more puzzled than ever :)
my brain is on auto-repeat at night about this stitch as I am waiting for my new yarn delivery to make one just like this for my aunt. I guess it is time I start this project!

JudyD
09-29-2010, 05:50 AM
[quote=hyperactive;1301422]thanks again!
and, yes, the way I know it, it is raspberry stitch, but if there is a difference to blackberry stitch I would look more puzzled than ever :) quote]

Nice work! I believe this stitch is also known as the popcorn stitch and bramble stitch, among others...4 rows for pattern: Row 1: purl across; Row 2: p3 together, k1, p1, k1 in same stitch; Row 3: purl across: Row 4: k1, p1, k1 in same stitch, p3 together.

I'm working on the Cable Bramble Afghan and slip the first stitch purlwise and knit the last stitch. If I can get my camera to work I'll post a photo later today.

Judy

hyperactive
09-29-2010, 06:12 AM
[quote=hyperactive;1301422]thanks again!
and, yes, the way I know it, it is raspberry stitch, but if there is a difference to blackberry stitch I would look more puzzled than ever :) quote]

Nice work! I believe this stitch is also known as the popcorn stitch and bramble stitch, among others...4 rows for pattern: Row 1: purl across; Row 2: p3 together, k1, p1, k1 in same stitch; Row 3: purl across: Row 4: k1, p1, k1 in same stitch, p3 together.

I'm working on the Cable Bramble Afghan and slip the first stitch purlwise and knit the last stitch. If I can get my camera to work I'll post a photo later today.

Judy

yup, that is how it works. You just work yourself into trance but I am now SO good at kpk in the same stitch... it is just one seesaw motion for me. I am looking forward for the new one I will make (and just wait for my yarn, right now. The same one again.

WandaT
09-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Great job! It turned out fabulous! No wonder you have requests to make more!! :)

MerigoldinWA
09-29-2010, 08:40 AM
A lovely shrug, hyperactive. :muah: Two more though. You are a good friend.

margz3
09-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Very nice! I particularly like shrugs with the longer back - this one looks like a perfect length!

hyperactive
09-29-2010, 12:06 PM
thanks!
The girl that I got the second request from is a VERY good friend who would and will do anything for me. She does get the shrug for sure. She has offered to pay the yarn. If I "just make it" I will take her up on that. If I make it as birthday or x-mas present, I will just give it to her. Then that is my gift and that is that.

For my aunt (the 1st request) I make it for money (her idea). She wants to contribute 70 my way (the yarn is about 20 at drops) and feels like she is getting something awesome for a very low price. She does not knit but is willing to pay. This, though, I promised, is the only payjob I take for now. I do have a job and make more money in it than I could with knitting (I think). I need my spare time to be spare. But for once... she just helps me finance my yarn shopping and justified the order I placed this weekend that contains several other small amounts I needed and I only pay once for shipping.

All good on that side of things. Just a LOT of raspberry stitches.

melmac51
09-29-2010, 08:48 PM
I love that shrug! Great job!!

ArtLady1981
09-30-2010, 01:13 AM
OooooLaLa! You look absolutely gorgeous in your shrug! The knitting is impeccable. The ribbing bands are perfect! No wonder you have so many compliments and "orders" for 2 more! Very inspirational knitting! KUDOS to you!

hyperactive
09-30-2010, 09:16 AM
I feel honored!
For me the question usually is: Why should it not look like this? But then again you are blind to your own work in a way (which also makes you love the ugly things, so it is alright).
I will soon have my yarn!!! And then I go about making the twin for my aunt. I will be more than happy to change to another color, when making the one for my friend. :)
I have noticed, though, that the shrug looks a lot better on skinnier people. But well, I am not, so I love it the way it looks on me. But I will make it the same size for both others (they tried it on) and it looks really good despite the difference in shape.

mks22300
10-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Very nice, I like that stitch!

hyperactive
10-02-2010, 05:44 PM
thanks, it is a fun stitch and a fun pattern. The effect is great, too. And amazingly the backside is all flat! I could hardly believe it when I found out!

Jaxhil
11-06-2010, 01:07 PM
That is really pretty!

hyperactive
11-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Oh thanks. I just finished the second one (for my aunt, this time). I love wearing mine!

Lighting57
11-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Dito to all the comments. This is very pretty and I love that stitch.
I want to make my daughter something to wear other than socks and a scarf set. She is 5' 1" tall, I think a US size 16 up top and an 18 on the bottom. Do you think this would look well on her or would it draw attention to her size?

Could you post a link to the pattern? Thank you.

hyperactive
11-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Hi!
you might not want to use a flashy mulitcolor yarn :)
But I would make it any size, really. A little bigger is a good fit, I found, since my bolero looks a little better on people who wear a size smaller than me.

The pattern comes in sizes S to XXXL, so your choice is wide :)

here is the link: Bolero (http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=110&d_id=28&lang=us)

It is a really fun knit.
If you want the shoulders to be wider / the sleeves to be longer than in the pictures, you can just add more stitches when you get to the increase row. 12 get added for all sizes, so you can just add a multiple of the stitch... that is a matter of personal taste.

Your daughter will love it!

by the way, I do not know my "top size" in US, but my pants are size 14, usually. So that is not soooo far off. And I am 1.68 meters tall (I do not have a calculator here, right now). Just for reference

Lighting57
11-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Hi!
you might not want to use a flashy mulitcolor yarn :)
But I would make it any size, really. A little bigger is a good fit, I found, since my bolero looks a little better on people who wear a size smaller than me.

The pattern comes in sizes S to XXXL, so your choice is wide :)

here is the link: Bolero (http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=110&d_id=28&lang=us)

It is a really fun knit.
If you want the shoulders to be wider / the sleeves to be longer than in the pictures, you can just add more stitches when you get to the increase row. 12 get added for all sizes, so you can just add a multiple of the stitch... that is a matter of personal taste.

Your daughter will love it!

by the way, I do not know my "top size" in US, but my pants are size 14, usually. So that is not soooo far off. And I am 1.68 meters tall (I do not have a calculator here, right now). Just for reference

Thanks! I'm off the download the pattern now.