PDA

View Full Version : FO: My very 1st project

Breezed
10-01-2010, 04:53 PM
I am a beginner knitter, learning from wonderful videos on this site and others. I had originally started a scarf from a "learn to knit" DVD but that didn't work out well. I ran out of yarn before completing it only to find out it is discontinued from my local store. The pattern I have now completed was a free card from Joann's. This was a simple knit stitch all the way through to 26", giving it a twist, and sewing the ends together. I used Lion Brand Homespun bulky yarn in Covered Bridge Red. I picked up the card in the store and my boyfriend and I both said "totally Frannie!"; his mother. So my very first project will be given to her for Xmas. I think I may add a small brooch to it, since she loves those things. I've only browsed this forum so far and this is my first post but I just love this place and everyone of you seem so helpful and nice. I am inspired by many of you to continue learning and becoming a great knitter (I hope).

kmaclean
10-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Welcome to KH!

I think you'll find that everyone here is really helpful, and it's a great place to share your knitting accomplishments.

Congrats on completing your first project ... it looks like it turned out great! :yay:

Jan in CA
10-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Welcome to Knitting Help!

That's a beautiful project and you're very brave to do your first project with Homespun.. :zombie:

Breezed
10-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks, both of you. I didn't know the difference between yarns really and found this on sale at a local store. I even did two strands together for a bulkier look too!! I thought I wasn't going to be able to continue shortly after starting but figured out how to manage it somehow.

Lana
10-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Welcome to an especially nice message board.

Congratulations on a very nicely knit scarf
and your photos show it off well.

Love that bit of whimsy next to your bookcase.

Breezed
10-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks Lana. That is sackboy from the Playstation3 game Little Big Planet. I definitely did not make it' I'm not that good yet. A friend's Mom made it for me. He is adorable and the head and limbs are movable so I occasionally reposition him in the windows.

sgtpam
10-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Very nice...:yay:
I like Homespun; but you'll find lots of knitters have trouble with it or just don't like to work with it because it tends to be "splitty". If you like it though, it comes in a lot of gorgeous colors:knitting:

Welcome

igklico
10-01-2010, 07:59 PM
agreed, first project in homespun is quite brave.

Slim
10-02-2010, 06:29 AM
Very pretty! It will make a lovely Christmas gift.

ArtLady1981
10-03-2010, 03:14 AM
I think that was so ingenious and smart to give it one twist and then stitch the ends together! The outcome is very creative and artistic! What started out as a simple, plain knit scarf (and there's nothing wrong with plain and simple!) turned out to be very chic! I'll give this a try myself!

Kudos, kiddo! You're on your way! Very inspiring!

ArtLady1981
10-03-2010, 03:14 AM
I think that was so ingenious and smart to give it one twist and then stitch the ends together! The outcome is very creative and artistic! What started out as a simple, plain knit scarf (and there's nothing wrong with plain and simple!) turned out to be very chic! I'll give this a try myself!

Kudos, kiddo! You're on your way! Very inspiring!

hyperactive
10-03-2010, 08:33 AM
great project and very nicely done. Keep it up and be admired on x-mas day when handing it over (this is one that you can not send over there but be there when it gets unwrapped! Enjoy the praise!)

Just do not forget to make stuff for yourself, too.

What did you do with your too short scarf? You cuold just buy a very different yarn and make to "end sections" with that until it is long enough. even if you have bound off already. Just pick up the stitches along the cast off edge or make the pieces seperately and sew together in the end. Then the work was not in vain!

WandaT
10-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Congrats!! You did a great job!! Welcome to the world of knitting and KH!

margz3
10-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Very nice job! Excellent for a first project :thumbsup:

Breezed
10-05-2010, 02:21 PM
@hyperactive - for the too short scarf I ordered the yarn online and still waiting for it. It's common yarn I guess just no longer carried at my local store. I will finish it as soon as it arrives but wow it's ugly! :)

MerigoldinWA
10-05-2010, 03:29 PM
That is just lovely. I've seen ladies wearing those. I like the look of garter stitch. Very nice gift for your boyfriend's mother.

Oceanrider
10-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Hi - I also bought myself a DVD to learn the basics of knitting last month. The school bus stop is right outside my door and all the children heading to school gave me a push to DO something new this September. I garter knitted a scarf and decided to make a garter stitch hat to match. I was shocked it actually came all together! I was really frightened to finish the stitches off the needle and pull it all together - Shocked really that it Worked! YEAH - Between YouTube and other sites I could refer to them for what all those abbreviations meant in the pattern. Now, I'm wondering where I should go next....any suggestions? I'm thinking a vest might be nice. Do you think it might be too much too soon?
Thanks so much for any advice. :yay: :yay:

bambi
10-07-2010, 09:58 PM
It is a lovely scarf! I'm sure anyone you gift it to will be thrilled. Welcome to KH and come back often.

Sassycanuckkniter
10-10-2010, 12:36 PM
You did a fabulous job, and I think i will do this scarf for my mom for Christmas. Though she's a bigger lady so I will add a couple inches. I'm going to email you a couple questions on this project.

Breezed
10-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Hi - I also bought myself a DVD to learn the basics of knitting last month. The school bus stop is right outside my door and all the children heading to school gave me a push to DO something new this September. I garter knitted a scarf and decided to make a garter stitch hat to match. I was shocked it actually came all together! I was really frightened to finish the stitches off the needle and pull it all together - Shocked really that it Worked! YEAH - Between YouTube and other sites I could refer to them for what all those abbreviations meant in the pattern. Now, I'm wondering where I should go next....any suggestions? I'm thinking a vest might be nice. Do you think it might be too much too soon?
Thanks so much for any advice. :yay: :yay:

Good job! I have not tried anything larger yet like vests. I am just continuing to find and work on smaller projects for now, although I have started to learn how to knit a sock, in the round, on dpn's, which is a big challenge so far. I get lost a lot and have to spend most of my knitting time figuring out where I left off! lol But I enjoy it.

Breezed
10-10-2010, 05:45 PM
You did a fabulous job, and I think i will do this scarf for my mom for Christmas. Though she's a bigger lady so I will add a couple inches. I'm going to email you a couple questions on this project.

Thanks. I believe I have answered all of your questions, if you have more, feel free to message me again. Hope it works for you.