PDA

View Full Version : FO and pattern:"I don't believe in scarfs" - men's hat and scarf

hyperactive
10-02-2010, 12:06 PM
My husband did not believe in scarfs. Well, he wanted a hat. Then he did get the matching scarf and started loving it.
Since many are on x-mas prep and my search for men's patterns has been without much result, I thought adding another pattern to the online-world would be nice. Also my mother in law was hoping for an instruction. Therefore I am just writing and charting my pattern up. It will be available this weekend in my blog (I am almost done).

Here are pics:

http://images4.ravelry.com/uploads/hyperactive/41555122/cabled-scarf3_medium2.jpg
http://images4.ravelry.com/uploads/hyperactive/41554014/cabled-hat1_medium2.jpg

More pics later.

When making this I didn't have any pattern on hand so I just whipped up the pattern as I went. Now I wrote it out. I made the pattern by freaking my husband out when he had to try the hat on with the dpns inside. No stitch was harmed in the procedure. :)

The chart for the scarf I originally sketched onto a supermarket reciept in lack of any other paper. Now I am making another chart, don't worry.

here is the link to my blog-post about it that will hold the pattern link sometime this weekend:

http://hyperactiveknitting.blogspot.com/2010/10/i-dont-believe-in-scarfs-cabled-hat-and.html

Jan in CA
10-02-2010, 12:19 PM
That's beautiful!

hyperactive
10-02-2010, 12:38 PM
thanks, Jan.
I added the link to my blog post for more pics and the link later.

Edit: I finished up faster than I thought. The pattern is now available together with more pictures:

http://hyperactiveknitting.blogspot.com/2010/10/i-dont-believe-in-scarfs-cabled-hat-and.html

kmaclean
10-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Great job ... thanks for sharing the pattern link!

aprilbetty
10-02-2010, 02:15 PM
I love the hat and scarf. Thanks so much for the pattern. I think it will be perfect for my 2 SIL's.

Arielluria
10-02-2010, 02:57 PM
I love your cables, along with the color you chose, it's very manly.

hyperactive
10-02-2010, 03:23 PM
thanks, guys.
The color and yarn were actually the pick of my husband. We were in JoAnn's on our trip to his family in NH and he checked out the yarns. His beard has the exact same color as this yarn and his hair is just a little darker, so this is a perfect match for him.

He has been wearing it around town for a few days now and says, that girls and women turn around for him - he thinks it's the scarf's and hat's fault :)

The yarn is easy to work with and dirt cheap for any yarn (8oz for 5 $ this spring), comes in a few colors and looks good and natural. In addition it is actual wool so it really is a good price. I wish I could get it here in Germany!

I could have made the same set of 2 twice from this, so this would have been very efficient.

@aprilbetty:
Have fun making it. It is a really easy and quick knit, since there are so many plain rows between the cables, it still looks like a lot, I think.

mks22300
10-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Very nice!

ArtLady1981
10-03-2010, 03:08 AM
Nice work! The designs are equally suitable for either sex! Versatile!

hyperactive
10-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Hi!
thanks, yes I am thinking of making the same set for myself, more or less. We'll see.
The good thing about a scarf / hat like this is that the pattern is interesting enough to be worth knitting but plain enough not to be too flashy.
I mean: you can do a lot to it by the color of course. Hot pink or curry yellow are not my colors anyway but you know what I mean. But any natural color like brown, white, off-white, black or any shade of gray will make a perfect uni-sex gift (maybe to prepare for an "emergency" gift to anyone... just because it does not really need to be decided beforehand.

Lana
10-03-2010, 09:02 AM
thanks, guys.
The color and yarn were actually the pick of my husband. We were in JoAnn's on our trip to his family in NH and he checked out the yarns. His beard has the exact same color as this yarn and his hair is just a little darker, so this is a perfect match for him.

He has been wearing it around town for a few days now and says, that girls and women turn around for him - he thinks it's the scarf's and hat's fault :)

You mean he had not noticed the girls turn around for him until he wore his new hat and scarf?

It is a stunning pattern! BRAVO :yay:

hyperactive
10-03-2010, 09:42 AM
@Lana: Well, he claims it is hat and scarf. I think it may be him, but maybe also because few people were actually wearing hat and scarf since it was cold alright but still september.
Well, I want to believe that hat and scarf did add.

Thanks for the praise!

WandaT
10-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Beautiful patterns and I love the soft color. Great set for either sex!!

margz3
10-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Very nice - and versitile! I love the color you choose :thumbsup:

bambi
10-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Very nice set! Thanks for the pattern.

Slim
10-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Ooh, those are very nice and masculine.

hyperactive
10-07-2010, 05:00 AM
thanks everybody. I thought I might be hitting the spot for everybody's x-mas knitting projects. But that topic alone in my blog (that is only on the net for a little more than a month at ALL) has about 300 views alltogether, my blog as whole is nearing 1000 views. Thank you, everybody. I feel honored!

MerigoldinWA
10-11-2010, 05:06 PM
I guess you made a believer out of him. :lol: Very attractive hat and scarf set.