PDA

View Full Version : FO: Nintendo DS Lite sock

Breezed
10-05-2010, 02:37 PM
I have completed my second project YAY! I am so happy especially after having to rip the ribbing section because I somehow knitted both sides together. Silly me. I was surprised I actually managed to rip it and re knit it correctly instead of starting all over.

Free pattern http://kathrynivy.com/patterns/free/seamless-ds-sock/

I used wooden DPN's, in the suggested sizes #6 and #5. And the yarn I used was Sensations Rainbow Classic Pattern in Turquoise Rainbow. I bought this yarn on clearance to practice knitting. It seems like a lower quality yarn. But it came in handy for this little project. I also added the I-cord wrist strap that wasn't in the original pattern.

The sock is for my boyfriend's 10 yr old niece because she doesn't have a cover for hers and it is getting really beat up.

Such little projects teach so many new things. I am really enjoying this.

Breezed
10-05-2010, 03:03 PM
For some reason I couldn't attach photos in the initial thread so adding in reply.

MerigoldinWA
10-05-2010, 03:42 PM
That yarn worked up so nicely on that project. The niece will love it.

I actually managed to rip it and re knit it correctly instead of starting all over. Good for you!! Learning to fix mistakes is so important, because there will always be mistakes to be fixed, and not having to start over....Priceless.

Such little projects teach so many new things. You are so right. And you never quit learning in knitting. A long time ago I asked a lady I really admired as a master knitter, "How long did it take you to learn everything about knitting?", and she answered, "I don't know everything about knitting." I didn't really understand her answer at the time, it seemed she knew everything. But now I know what she meant. No one knows all there is to know, that is what is so fascinating.... there is always more to learn.

I am really enjoying this. So glad to hear that. Knitting is a really neat enterprise.

kmaclean
10-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Great job! You're right that the yarn suited the project well ... it's super cute and I'm sure she'll love it :yay:

Adding the I-Cord strap was a great idea too ... keep up the good work! :knitting:

WandaT
10-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Congrats! It turned out wonderful!! What's next?

hyperactive
10-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Congrats! You made it and there is the FO and can be admired! Great work. Sometimes I think that smaller projects teach you even more, since things can be more intricate to do small shaping and design.

And you never quit learning in knitting. A long time ago I asked a lady I really admired as a master knitter, "How long did it take you to learn everything about knitting?", and she answered, "I don't know everything about knitting." I didn't really understand her answer at the time, it seemed she knew everything. But now I know what she meant. No one knows all there is to know, that is what is so fascinating.... there is always more to learn.

I totally agree. A good knitter is one that finds at least one solution for most problems. The better a knitter is the less there is to worry about, the more options he/she finds for each problems, the more sure he/she is about selecting a good method for solving an issue and the better things turn out.
If anyone told me they knew everything about knitting, I would get a good laugh and test it. I might call for "how-to"s on Moebius, Portugese knitting, seamless round cast ons and such. More than one option per problem, please.... and even if all questions got answered... I wouldn't believe that that is "everything".
If even I make it to come up with usage of technique that I can not find anywhere else in books or internet... then there is a lot more to discover and dive into and we should set out every day to find it! ;)

Chose something nice for your next project - and treat yourself to some yarn you really like. It does not have to make you broke, but it should make you satisfied.

margz3
10-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Nice work :thumbsup: I'm sure she will love it! Great idea adding the Icord!

ArtLady1981
10-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Oh that is so nice, and useful! What a great gift!!!

NorthernIrelandKnitter
10-10-2010, 04:24 AM
Well done! I was interested to see your pattern as I have not seen any patterns like this online - I have knitted several phone covers, a DS Lite cover and a pot holder in this style, but used a pattern from a magazine. Once I completed a few, I was trying to think of other things I could make from this basic pattern. I then moved on to hats using the same technique, with one based on a pattern using 2 straight needles and another based on a pattern using circular needles.

Have fun with the technique! I love it.

Gillian

Lana
10-15-2010, 07:46 AM
That is beaUtiful! Knit to perfection.

This seems worth repeating.

You are so right. And you never quit learning in knitting. A long time ago I asked a lady I really admired as a master knitter, "How long did it take you to learn everything about knitting?", and she answered, "I don't know everything about knitting."

I started knitting seriously nearly 50 years ago. I still look for new techniques to try, and when I can't find one, I invent my own.
I'm limited now by what my hands can manage without too much pain.
I'd say knitting has become more of an obsession than a hobby for me.
There's always something new out there.
ENJOY! ENJOY!! ENJOY!!!