PDA

View Full Version : Going to be newbie granny forgot to knit

KarenInTacoma
10-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Snuggly Wuggly Pocket Pals blanket off at the starting gate:
Our daughter announced 4 weeks ago that she was 5 weeks pregnant, Yippie as she is our only child and just turned 37.
So I just started knitting a baby blanket after 38 years of no knitting, oh dear! Getting back on the bicycle is a little ruff at 62; but got the first 15 rows of 165 sts of K1 P1 contrast done, then told to Break. Next row (WS) [I hope this means just where I left off] MC, P13. M1. *P14. M1. Rep From *to last 12 sts. P12. 176 sts.
Ok do I cut 4" of contrast color and tie a knot of main color leaving 4"and just begin with MC, P13. ect?????? I pretty much get the code after that, just don't want to mess up the Break business & MC.
Karen

Jan in CA
10-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Welcome to Knitting Help! There's a lot of us "older" knitters here along with the younguns.:teehee: Some of us are just picking up the needles again, some have knit all those years and some are like me.... learning a new hobby later in life. You're not alone. :thumbsup:

Generally you don't have to cut the yarn as long as you are just doing a few rows of the new color. You'd just twist the yarn at the side..that is bring the new color under the old color and knit so it's not leaving a big loop. If you are doing more than a few rows of the alternate color though it's probably best to cut it. I wouldn't tie knots though. I'd just leave it and then weave in the ends nicely when you're done. They won't come undone as long as you weave them in well.

KarenInTacoma
10-05-2010, 06:09 PM
:happydance:
Thanks Jan;
I gave up on anyone coming to my rescue so got out the sissors and whacked the contrast off. The main color of the blanket is 32" prox, but mine will no doubt be 42:roflhard: simply because I try to knit tight, but I guess soft is just my nature. So cutting was the right thing to do.
I appreciate your jumping in to let me know I didn't blow it and the tips on the ends. I gave all my tools of the homemaking trade to my daughter when she went off to college to help her with her design major. I had to go out with coupons in hand to buy all new gear, man is stuff expensive in this millennium! God bless coupons!
Again, thanks Jan
:muah:
Welcome to Knitting Help! There's a lot of us "older" knitters here along with the younguns.:teehee: Some of us are just picking up the needles again, some have knit all those years and some are like me.... learning a new hobby later in life. You're not alone. :thumbsup:

Generally you don't have to cut the yarn as long as you are just doing a few rows of the new color. You'd just twist the yarn at the side..that is bring the new color under the old color and knit so it's not leaving a big loop. If you are doing more than a few rows of the alternate color though it's probably best to cut it. I wouldn't tie knots though. I'd just leave it and then weave in the ends nicely when you're done. They won't come undone as long as you weave them in well.

Jan in CA
10-05-2010, 07:15 PM
You need to have more patience with answers... I posted within half an hour of your question. :lol:

I have no idea what the blanket looks like because I couldn't find it online so I'm glad it worked out. :thumbsup:

Yes, all this stuff can get expensive. May of us use interchangeable needles so we most of the sizes we'll ever need other than a few here and there. :teehee:

KarenInTacoma
10-07-2010, 01:05 AM
You need to have more patience with answers... I posted within half an hour of your question. :lol:

I have no idea what the blanket looks like because I couldn't find it online so I'm glad it worked out. :thumbsup:

Yes, all this stuff can get expensive. May of us use interchangeable needles so we most of the sizes we'll ever need other than a few here and there. :teehee:

Thanks again Jan,
My post might take longer given my service provider on the internet, so it was hours passing and I just needed to get on it!!!
I purchased the "Boye" Circular Knitting Needles kit that has #2-15 with cable lengths from 20"-36" (with connection connectors for the various sizes) again with a 40% coupon off a Michael's, and JoAnn has the same item with the same coupon, retail $70 B4 coupon.
The blanket is coming along just fine with your help and I just finished my first row of pattern of the main color. I am sure that no one else is interested, but goodness, the M1 just about broke my hope. Lord how does anyone pluck that little sucker from the back without losing the knit loop? That first line of increase took me 2 hours. I was so tired and frustrated I quit for the day. Today I got the first row done of the square pattern of K8 P8 repeat 8 times and tomorrow I begin the reverse. Woohaa, my wheels are turning again and I did not fall off the bike, :roflhard:
Again, thanks Jan!!! :muah:

Jan in CA
10-07-2010, 01:42 AM
Which increase are you doing? There are several...
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases

KarenInTacoma
10-07-2010, 12:29 PM
M1 is all the pattern stated, so I went to your trusty Glossary and there were 3 choices M1 no video, M1A wasn't the right title, but M1L, aka M1, M1F video having the M1 in the title is what I chose. I only had to watch it 33 times to get 11:thud: M1's on the row. I am pretty sure I had to use it with a cable knit afghan that I made in my 20's, which I am happy to say I still use and love that 2 tone blue afghan, my personal binky :inlove:!!
I just want to say that your Glossary and support team are true keepers and total lifelines! Keep up the good work all of you mentors with KnittingHelp and Jan especially you for taking me under your wings.
Karen
Which increase are you doing? There are several...
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases

suzeeq
10-07-2010, 01:50 PM
You can also find M1 on the Increases page.

KarenInTacoma
10-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I don't see another M1 until I get finished with the blanket then make the pocket to attach to it for the little doggie or bear, can't decide which one to make. Bear is at this link: http://www.michaels.com/Lil%27-Bear-Pal/25861,default,pd.html?start=21&cgid=projects-yarnandneedlecrafts-loopsandthreads
They have darling little doggie or bear booties to match as well.
Thanks Knittinghelp pals:grphug:
Karen
You can also find M1 on the Increases page.