PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Deathflake Earflap Hat

kmaclean
10-05-2010, 08:57 PM
So, as some may recall I'm currently working on my first stranding project. I'm using this pattern (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/earflap-hat-fingerless-mitts--slipper-socks) as the basis for my project, and incorporating the Deathflake chart (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/deathflake-chart). Everyone here has been really great helping me get started (Hyperactive's videos on float weaving have been a huge help!), so I thought I'd share my progess so far. For my first attempt at stranding, I feel like I'm not doing too bad so far!

I've finished the first 10 rows of the chart, and it's going much faster now that I've got the hang of it :yay:

The last photo shows the wrong side of the work ... by constantly weaving the two strands of yarn around each other as you work you avoid having large "floats" on the inside of your project. This was especially helpful as there are several areas of my project where I continue in one color for as many as 8 stitches.

Lana
10-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Welllll, all I can say is

WOW!!! :yay:

hyperactive
10-06-2010, 06:34 AM
Impressive! I wish my first stranding jobs had looked lijke this! I am glad I could put you on track and funny enough: The deathflake is on my x-mas knitting list for a hat for a friend of mine.
Great job, just keep it up! :cheering:

Slim
10-06-2010, 07:35 AM
That's looking great! Can't wait to see the finished hat.

kmaclean
10-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the encouragement!

My knitting time is a little bit limited right now, but hopefully I'll have it finished soon. I'm really hoping that it fits ... I'm getting a little concerned that my gauge may have changed a little from my initial swatch :???:

Oh well, if nothing else it will have been a learning experience! :teehee:

hyperactive
10-06-2010, 10:15 AM
are you working flat or in the round? if flat you can always add in a band of ribbing or garter stitch between the 2 edges and widen it up. I have done that on kiddy cloth that the baby was threatening to be too big for :) And I will do that on my wrist warmers, which turned too tight.

kmaclean
10-06-2010, 11:06 AM
No, unfortunately I am working in the round (which is probably why my gauge seems to be slightly different - my swatch was worked flat). :sad:

It's not looking THAT much too small, so I'm hoping it will work out ok. I'm using 100% wool, which I've been told will hold it's shape better than other fibers when blocked ... so if necessary maybe I can stretch it out a little bit at least. :??

hyperactive
10-06-2010, 11:43 AM
stranding does tend to stretch less than just one-color knitting. So your gauge may be different because of the pattern, mainly.
Real wool will have some give and can most likely be stretched a little.

If you work in the round, though, you can just try it on right now. Slide all stitches to the cable (or best: use a second circular to slide at least 1/3 of the stitches to - it can be same or smaller size) and slip it on. It's long enough for that.
It would suck if you did all the work and had no usable result in the end. Rather rip back now than throw out later, you know?

kmaclean
10-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the tip ... I hadn't really thought about trying it on while it's still in progress!

I would hate to start over, but I suppose it would be better than ending up with something unwearable. I'll try it out tonight when I get home before I continue knitting!

kmaclean
10-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Good news ... it seems to fit ok so far! :woot:

You're right that the part of the hat with the stranded pattern is a little tighter. I suppose that's generally what happens ... I'll have to keep that in mind for future projects :teehee:

WandaT
10-07-2010, 07:23 AM
It's looking great!! Glad it's fitting - nothing like getting so excited about a project only to have to rip it out and start over. Been there done that! LOL

bambi
10-07-2010, 10:02 PM
That is simply AMAZING!!! I have done only one fair isle project so far and it didn't look that good!

ArtLady1981
10-08-2010, 02:16 PM
This is gonna be niiiiiccce!