PDA

View Full Version : Shawl Help!

Fenton
10-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Hello out there! :aww:

I'm trying to make a shawl for the first time and I'm lost. Can anyone help me understand how this thing is
going to grow?

Here is the pattern:

Cast on 2 stitches, leaving a tail of approx 2"

Row 1: K1, yo, K1.
Row 2: Knit.
Row 3: K1, yo, knit to last stitch, yo K1.
Repeat rows 2 & 3, leaving enough yarn for two more rows plus bind-off, ending on Row 2.
Next Row: Kfb, *yo, K2tog, repeat from * to last 2 stitches, yo, Kfb, K1. Knit one row and bind off loosely.

I got all the way to row three, but I ran out of stitches after I knitted the last one...I had no way to yo...did I mention I'm a new knitter!

suzeeq
10-09-2010, 10:13 PM
A YO doesn't include a stitch, it goes between stitches and adds a stitch. On. R 3, you have 3 sts so you k1, yo, k1, YO and k1. On row 5 there's 5 sts so you work them as - k1, yo, k3, yo, k1.

Becky Morgan
10-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Row 3: K1, yo, knit to last stitch, yo K1.
...I ran out of stitches after I knitted the last one...

You knit to the last stitch, but don't knit it yet--yarn over first and THEN knit it. Easy mistake, especially if you're new.:wink:

Fenton
10-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks for all the help, that makes sense! Now here is a dumb question...how do I get the dumb thing to grow?

Repeat rows 2 & 3, leaving enough yarn for two more rows plus bind-off, ending on Row 2.
Next Row: Kfb, *yo, K2tog, repeat from * to last 2 stitches, yo, Kfb, K1. Knit one row and bind off loosely.

Fenton
10-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Thanks for all the help, that makes sense! Now here is a dumb question...how do I get the dumb thing to grow?

suzeeq
10-10-2010, 12:34 PM
They left out a few words - Repeat rows 2 & 3, until desired length, leaving enough yarn for two more rows plus bind-off, ending on Row 2. Basically, repeat the 2 rows (R 3 has the incs on it) until you have enough yarn left for 2 more rows, do the last 2 rows then BO. You should leave enough yarn for about 3-4 rows - the 2 rows and the BO usually takes enough yarn as 1 rows.

Fenton
10-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks a million Sue!!! You are awesome!!! I'm going to work on it right now!!!!:cheering: :knitting: