PDA

View Full Version : Is this scarf masculine enough?

N0obKnitter
10-12-2010, 04:50 PM
http://home.online.no/~tu-mell/beginnerreversiblescarf.cfm

I'm thinking about knitting a scarf for my DH...will this one be masculine enough?

JudyD
10-12-2010, 05:12 PM
I would consider the scarf in the "unisex" category. Of course, the color you select will also make it masculine.

Judy

mspwrz
10-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I Agree with JudyD. The scarf pattern is generic, the color will make it masculine or feminine. Good luck!

kittykins
10-12-2010, 06:13 PM
I agree with the above comments. The color will play a major part in making it masculine looking. I see you live in Colorado so I'm assuming you'd like this scarf to provide some (real) warmth? If I were you, I'd go with a heavier weight yarn and larger needles if need be. What about Lion Brand's Fisherman's Wool in one of those lovely heather shades? Jeanie in TX

Jan in CA
10-12-2010, 06:43 PM
I agree as well. As long as you don't make it a stereotypically "girl" color you should be fine. :thumbsup:

Mike
10-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Scarves are one thing I like crochet over knitting for myself. Something about tight knitted scarves that don't look right on guys to me.

That stitch pattern however has that look of crochet that I like. I'd wear it and may even make it for myself

bambi
10-12-2010, 09:41 PM
It looks great! I think it is unisex. Though the pattern says sock, sport or DK, I would probably use aran/worsted on it. It might look delicate with the other weights.

OffJumpsJack
10-12-2010, 10:46 PM
http://home.online.no/~tu-mell/beginnerreversiblescarf.cfm

I'm thinking about knitting a scarf for my DH...will this one be masculine enough?

If you pick manly colors. See what he has hanging around in his closet (or maybe the ones on the floor that he wears the most.) :roflhard:

I seem to recall the guys making a list of patterns they liked on another thread long ago.. Search, and you may find it. ;)

sorifes
10-13-2010, 01:21 AM
I agree it is the colors. My BF doesn't like scarves. I made him a neck warmer in black and he loves it. He's glad I knit because it's cold up here when you have to work outside all day :D. A good ribbed scarf makes both boys and girls warm and happy too :)

Jeremy
10-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Yes.

N0obKnitter
10-13-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm gonna use brown cascade yarn for DH's scarf and red cascade for step-son's scarf. :)

ArtLady1981
10-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Very much so! It is, IMO, a unisex design. Very suitable for guys and gals.

hyperactive
10-16-2010, 08:17 AM
perfectly alright. The color choice sounds good, too. But do not use yarn that is too delicate, either. Thicker or rougher yarn can do the trick.
I made this scarf for my husband (pattern on ravelry, I am "hyperactive" there, too.) and really liked the Lion Brand Fishermen's wool. Keeps warm, looks manly, is easy to work with, is a quick knit and cheap to buy, in addition.

PS: Yes, men's favorite colors you find on the bedroom floor! I agree!