PDA

View Full Version : FO: Stashbuster Xmas Ornament/Package Ties

CountryNaturals
10-13-2010, 12:52 PM
I made this to be a cat-friendly Christmas tree ornament, but it would also work for a baby-safe ornament or gift package tie-on. It only takes about a half hour to make one.

http://countrynaturals.com/knit-crochet/images/Products/ornament.jpg

Here are the instructions:

http://countrynaturals.com/knit-crochet/ornament.html

kmaclean
10-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Cute!

ArtLady1981
10-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Neat idea! :thumbsup:

Lana
10-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Clever idea for decorating gifts.

Cat enticing for sure. Not sure about cat safe though.
Our cats chewed up anything yarn they could sink there teeth into.

CountryNaturals
10-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Clever idea for decorating gifts.

Cat enticing for sure. Not sure about cat safe though.
Our cats chewed up anything yarn they could sink there teeth into.

AARRGGHH! We had one like that. My MIL crocheted us a gorgous afghan that had to go live in the cedar chest cuz that #@$%& cat chewed on it.

At least these are 100% cotton and unbreakable, so that makes them more "cat-friendly" than glass ornaments, but then we've also had cats that would climb the Christmas tree, so nothing is really safe.

I know one cat person who hangs her tree from the ceiling and another who hangs hers from a wall. We had to stop using icicles cuz our cats would eat them. (Don't ask about the subsequent litter adventure.):ick:

Lana
10-19-2010, 12:29 PM
AARRGGHH! We had one like that. My MIL crocheted us a gorgous afghan that had to go live in the cedar chest cuz that #@$%& cat chewed on it.

At least these are 100% cotton and unbreakable, so that makes them more "cat-friendly" than glass ornaments, but then we've also had cats that would climb the Christmas tree, so nothing is really safe.

I know one cat person who hangs her tree from the ceiling and another who hangs hers from a wall. We had to stop using icicles cuz our cats would eat them. (Don't ask about the subsequent litter adventure.):ick:

This was entertaining and brought fond memories of our Siamese that laid the the radiator next to our artificial spruce and smacked that the ornaments until the tree spun around in it's stand.

My younger daughter's one cat chewed the edge of her crib afghan my MIL crocheted. What a challenge to find three different colors in sport weight yarns to match for repair, 35 years later. They could never leave shoes with ties out of the closet because the cat literally ate the laces, the little plastic ends and all.

melmac51
10-22-2010, 01:49 AM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Love the ornament/package topper!! I laugh because we've had cats (and even dogs!!) over the years who've tried to get at everything "yarn-y". You just have to sit them down and have a serious talk with them. I give ours the "Cats (or dogs...depending on who's getting the speech) are not allowed to pounce, chew, swat, eat yarn in this household." Believe it or not, after a few fusses at them, it works! My goofiest cat will sit on the table and watch the yarn feeding from the center pull, and I know he's itching to get it, but he just watches, wistfully...

CountryNaturals
10-22-2010, 10:42 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Love the ornament/package topper!! I laugh because we've had cats (and even dogs!!) over the years who've tried to get at everything "yarn-y". You just have to sit them down and have a serious talk with them. I give ours the "Cats (or dogs...depending on who's getting the speech) are not allowed to pounce, chew, swat, eat yarn in this household." Believe it or not, after a few fusses at them, it works! My goofiest cat will sit on the table and watch the yarn feeding from the center pull, and I know he's itching to get it, but he just watches, wistfully...

We had a Siamese cat that was obsessed with yarn. My mother came to visit. She was also a yarn and cat person. I had found a fabulous sale of yarn scraps by the bag and bought out the whole lot. My mother was helping untangle and re-wrap those scraps, which had yarn all over the house. Every night, when we had finished working on the yarn, we would cover it up, stash it under couch cushions, or put it in bags. The next morning we'd find yarn wrapped around chair legs, wound around the stair banisters, zigzagged all over the floor. It was a hilarious disaster. My mother was determined to outsmart the cat, so every night she found more creative ways to hide the yarn, but every morning we found a similar mess. Until then, I had never seen my mother defeated, but after 3 days she finally gave up and went back home mumbling and shaking her head. :roflhard:

MerigoldinWA
10-29-2010, 05:44 PM
That would make a nice package bow replacement. Neat idea. :thumbsup: