PDA

View Full Version : sock fiber question

dddebbb3
10-17-2010, 10:00 AM
I don't make 100% wool socks anymore because they wear out too quickly. I usually try to get as much nylon in the blend as possible, but I just bought some lovely Noro that's 42% silk, 40% cotton, and 18% wool. My question: is silk nearly as durable as nylon? Will this yarn make decent socks that will last more than a few wearings, or should I make the foot out of nylon or acrylic blend and save the Noro for the leg?
What would you experienced sockers do if you were me?

Jan in CA
10-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Good question. :thumbsup: I've made several pairs of socks and the only ones I still have left are the first few pairs I made with sock yarn that included nylon! I won't make socks of any yarn w/o nylon now. I just bought some Berroco Vintage (http://www.berroco.com/shade_cards/vintage_sh.html) last night for house socks that is worsted weight, but includes 10% nylon. It's not made for socks, but I suspect they'll hold up due the nylon content.

If the yarn you want doesn't have nylon you can use Wooly Nylon to reinforce sock heels and toes. You carry it along with the sock yarn.
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd13380
http://www.amazon.com/Wooly-Nylon-Thread-1000m-Spools/dp/B0027DTZS6

borealowl
10-17-2010, 04:50 PM
I can agree with that. Having made socks with a variety of yarns and too many with Wool Ease the ones that have lasted the longest were a wool and nylon mix. The best ones were Patons Kroy Socks of which I have made five pairs. They soften up with washing and wear well. I also like Lorna's Laces.

knit2btied
10-18-2010, 02:31 AM
Your silk will make the sock very strong, but it will also probably mean special washing care. You'll need to be careful with it, or risk losing your sock a different way yet! :(

(voice of experience)

Mazie
10-18-2010, 11:08 PM
I have used the Patons Kroy yarn for socks but cannot, personally, wear socks with any wool content. The Kroy works well for my daughters, and they love them, but I am still on the hunt for the "best sock yarn", if you find it, let me know, M'kay?

dddebbb3
10-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the advice - especially the warning about washing silk blends! I'll probably try the woolly nylon, which I haven't used before. I'd love to hear more about sock fiber blends (both good and bad) if anyone else has input.

dddebbb3
01-23-2011, 05:35 PM
I don't make 100% wool socks anymore because they wear out too quickly. I usually try to get as much nylon in the blend as possible, but I just bought some lovely Noro that's 42% silk, 40% cotton, and 18% wool. My question: is silk nearly as durable as nylon? Will this yarn make decent socks that will last more than a few wearings, or should I make the foot out of nylon or acrylic blend and save the Noro for the leg?
What would you experienced sockers do if you were me?

Update: I finished the socks made of Noro silk/cotton/wool blend. I carried coordinating threads and used small needles in the foot section for durability. I've worn them a few times and of course don't know yet how long they'll last, but FYI I'm disappointed in the leg section. The silk/cotton just doesn't seem to have the memory of wool, and the socks are kind of floppy. So, lesson learned - I think 85% wool/15% nylon or acrylic is best for socks.

Jan in CA
01-23-2011, 08:01 PM
I wouldn't use acrylic either. It doesn't breath so they don't seem as comfortable to me. Whatever you choose make sure it's got some nylon or polyester in it for strength. :thumbsup: