PDA

View Full Version : Cabled Chapeau Newsboy Cap Help Please

Lighting57
10-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Found on Ravelry

Cabled Chapeau Newsboy Cap

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cabled-chapeau

Could someone that has made this cap please explain to me how the brim is attached? The pattern itself is well written except for the placement and attaching of the brim. It states almost nothing, which doesn’t make sense. Seems to me that if I’m going to the trouble to list the pattern and picture, I would want all parts to be well written and understood. I wouldn’t want someone to get this far and quit because the pattern is vague at this point.

According to the pattern the brim is worked and folded in half. Looking at the picture it appears that the folded edge is on the outer edge of the brim with the worked edges being sewn to the cap. I have tried this and it just doesn’t look right. The shape of the piece as it is attached to the cap looks backwards, as if the part that would curve on the outer edge is sewn against the caps edge.

Please help if you can. Thanks.

Ingrid
10-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Did you put the brim around the plastic? That seems to make the shape. Or did that not work? Maybe email the person who posted it?

bambi
10-19-2010, 10:12 PM
There are a few people on Rav who mentioned tips after knitting the hat. Have you looked at those? I just can't visualize what she wants out of the pattern by her instructions, either.

Lighting57
10-20-2010, 12:21 PM
I haven't had time to do a lot of search because I am on dial up. I have made the piece for the brim and folded it over. She doesn't state whether to sew the folded edge to the cap or the rounded edge. The picture shows the folded side out, but I've tried that and it just doesn't look right. I'll cut the brim itself when I get it figured out.

I posted on ravelry too, but I haven't received any help yet. Thanks.

suzeeq
10-20-2010, 02:37 PM
The folded edge should be the outside edge when it's assembled; the CO/BO edges would be sewn to the cap.

Lighting57
10-21-2010, 02:21 PM
The folded edge should be the outside edge when it's assembled; the CO/BO edges would be sewn to the cap.

I agree with this. My drawback was that when you do this the shape of the folded brim fabric is opposite the shape of the brim. The sewn edges are curving out like the brims outer edge yet my mind and everyone else states to sew the sewn edge against the cap.

I sewed the edges together and slipped the brim inside, with the sewn edges on the outer edge. I then pushed and turned the knitted piece so that the sewn edge was on the inside curve. I then attached it to the cap and finished it. I plan to make matching mittens. I already have a scarf to go with it and will post pictures when all are finished.