PDA

View Full Version : Endpaper Mitts

hyperactive
10-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Hi!
I have seen them around the web a bunch. Now I am making them. The Endpaper Mitts by Eunny (http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/11/endpaper_mitts.html)

Here is my progress after Friday night, Saturday night and some of Sunday.

http://images4.ravelry.com/uploads/hyperactive/43444255/endpaper_mitts_2_medium2.jpg

http://images4.ravelry.com/uploads/hyperactive/43444188/endpaper_mitts_1_medium2.jpg

The mitts will be a gift for a good friend of mine for x-mas. After 1000 ideas what to make for her finally got me into the yarn shop and looking around and when seeing this yarn I knew what to make.

The yarn is "Cool Wool Seta" by Lana Grossa - 30 % silk, 70 % virgin wool.

The pattern work drove me nuts. I did not make it to memorize the repeat within the first mitt so there is a little mistake in the thumb gusset pattern. But I will keep it this way. The second one is getting a lot quicker and easier.
The Fair Isle and Weaving is not my problem, as you know. But the repeat... silly but true, I do admit it.

(PS: The slow-mo-video of the weaving technique is online in my blog and a text-explanation will follow).

Jan in CA
10-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Those are so pretty!!

hyperactive
10-25-2010, 06:18 PM
thank you. I am into the thumb gusset of the second one (about half way up the thumb part). I would be happily knitting away, but it is late and I need to go to be (after midnight here). I am getting a lot quicker on this. I should probably not have been working on them when I was flatened by a tiring week on Friday night. I think that started me out badly with them. But the feel good and they are nice to work up once you make friends with them.

My friend just loves this tone of greenish blue. She was actually wearing a shirt in that exact color today and said that was one of her favs. Well, that shirt might get an accessory soon. Why not.

Slim
10-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Wow they're beautiful! Great colorwork.

hyperactive
10-26-2010, 04:03 AM
thanks, slim!
color work becomes one of my trademarks at the moment, I guess. Well with so many people asking about the woven inside, I felt like I should do more of this and for xmas presents it is nice: looks effective and goes pretty smoothly - once you figure it out :)

When they are done I will post pics of the inside, too. That will show the woven strands and double thickness - comes in handy for mittens, really.

The yarn is just forming a very tight fabric with such small needles. I hope that will be liked.

aprilbetty
10-26-2010, 05:36 AM
Your colorwork is beautiful -- perfectly even stitches. I have looked at your video once, but am going to look at it again. I love colorwork, but have had no luck with it.

hyperactive
10-26-2010, 06:32 AM
Hi!
thanks for the compliments. It really is not so hard.
When you do the stranding the way I do - or any other woven way, really - you do not have that tension problem so much. No floats means more even work... that is the other benefit.

I am currently working on a text-and-photo-instruction. I will shout out loud when it is done. Maybe that will be easier for everyone to follow - since the pics are standing still. And: Everybody is a different learning type. Some need to hear, some need to see, others prefer to read... so maybe I can help some people on with good color work instruction. I will do my best.
(did you also see my slow-mo-video? was that helpful?)

WandaT
10-26-2010, 07:55 AM
They are gorgeous!! Thanks for the videos!

kmaclean
10-26-2010, 09:49 AM
They look wonderful! I'm sure that your friend will LOVE them! :inlove:

You really do beautiful colorwork, and it's great to see that you are putting so much effort into providing learning resources for those who wish to learn your techniques. I found your video extremely helpful in attempting my first colorwork project, so hopefully others who are interested in giving it a try will check out your resources on the subject and find themselves acquiring a new knitting skill! :knitting:

Lana
10-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Your knitting is always exquisite.
But what truly amazes me is that you knit so beautifully and fast,
and still find time to make videos to teach the rest of us. :yay:

margz3
10-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Those are so nice! I have only dabbled with color work - not awful, but not great either. I will check out your videos soon, thanks!

hyperactive
10-26-2010, 11:49 AM
oh, it is really no big desal. I am telling you.
For me this is just a project. OK, one that demands more concentration than some, but just a project nontheless.

I am totally humbled by the response to my videos. I will try to make the process clear even to the last one who wants to learn. I would sit down with each and every knitter to teach in person, but that just won't work.

I have always been a fast knitter and I am trying to take on projects that have more effort so that I do not go through projects too fast. (cost of wool, lack of closet space and such :) )

The internet also gives me the chance to show things and then I get questions and then... you know... that is all just logical. And it DOES seem to help some people. So I am not sooo far off the path.

lgoddard
10-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Such beautiful work! I will check your video out when I get up the nerve to attempt something like this. You really knit beautifully

newwooley
10-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the video and the Mitts are beautiful. I'm working on a colorwork sweater now and I'm weaving using the Philosophers method. I watched your video and I'll be trying your method as soon as I pick up my sweater again. I found an error in the chart and I'm waiting for a corrected chart. Your method looks a lot easier and quicker. thanks again for sharing.

hyperactive
10-27-2010, 06:06 AM
Hi!
Thanks for the encouraging words. I have finished the pattern part on the second mitt and will only have to do the top cuffs tonight. So that was going a lot faster the second time around. I was probably just being a wimp about it on round 1.

The Philosopher's wool method is great! If you can knit with both hands (which I can not really). And I do not know how fast you can get with it. My method works relatively smoothly so it can be sped up with practice.

I will be happy to hear about your results!

aprilbetty
10-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Hi!
I am currently working on a text-and-photo-instruction. I will shout out loud when it is done. Maybe that will be easier for everyone to follow - since the pics are standing still. And: Everybody is a different learning type. Some need to hear, some need to see, others prefer to read... so maybe I can help some people on with good color work instruction. I will do my best.
(did you also see my slow-mo-video? was that helpful?)

I did go back and look at the slow-motion. My main problem is that I knit the English style, throwing the yarn over instead of picking it up from the left hand. I tried the Continental style once and my tension was too loose, and I got too nervous. Since I knit for relaxation, I gave up. Your knitting is so smooth and even. I am going to try again as soon as I finish my grandchildren projects.

kmaclean
10-27-2010, 04:37 PM
I did go back and look at the slow-motion. My main problem is that I knit the English style, throwing the yarn over instead of picking it up from the left hand.

I am an English knitter as well. When I was working on my first colorwork project just recently I used a combination of Hyperactive's videos and THIS VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsbQ1kKltCo)I found on YouTube. The video I've linked demonstrates the same principle that Hyperactive uses, only it is done by an English style knitter. It helped me to convert what Hyperactive was describing into the English knitting style.

I will point out that Hyperactive's video's are much better/clearer because of the camera view ... she positioned the camera behind her so that the viewer gets to "look over her shoulder" and see the knitting being done from the same point of view that they would see it when they are actually doing the knitting themself. The YouTube video above uses a "head on" camera view, which isn't ideal, but using the two videos in combination I was able to grasp the concept fairly quickly.

Anyways, I just thought I would re-post the link for you (or any other English knitters) in case you find it helpful in getting started! :thumbsup:

hyperactive
10-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Hi!
thanks for the compliments. I have the opposite problem: I do only knit Continental and even though I tried English I have made the stitches but never a project like that. So...

Kmaclean found this video here:

stranded knitting English style (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsbQ1kKltCo)

maybe that is just what you need? I have total compassion with you, since I have the opposite problem :)

bambi
10-27-2010, 10:17 PM
They are beautiful! I know your friend will enjoy them.

aprilbetty
10-28-2010, 08:25 AM
I am an English knitter as well. When I was working on my first colorwork project just recently I used a combination of Hyperactive's videos and THIS VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsbQ1kKltCo)I found on YouTube. The video I've linked demonstrates the same principle that Hyperactive uses, only it is done by an English style knitter. It helped me to convert what Hyperactive was describing into the English knitting style.
:thumbsup:
Thanks for the helpful video and suggestions. Thanks, too, Hyperactive (I tried to multi-quote, and could not figure it out). I am determined to learn how to do colorwork evenly, with no floaters, but right now I am really enjoying the "cablework" that I am doing.

hyperactive
10-28-2010, 09:08 AM
good. cables I love, too!

melmac51
10-28-2010, 08:12 PM
I really like those mittens! The colorwork looks perfect to me. The only thing I can't figure out is, why do they call them "end paper" mittens? Do you know? Am I missing something?

:??

ArtLady1981
10-29-2010, 03:53 AM
Oooo la la! Just in time for winter! This is really inspiring work!

hyperactive
10-29-2010, 04:32 AM
thanks, girls!
I have just begun the "Musica" mitts with the cleffs on them for my sister in law so stranding is the theme of the month at the moment.
I will also make another set of endpapers for myself in 2 tones of berry (merino wool, nice and soft). I just can not decide if I want them with a design of my own or with the same repeat. I will have to make up my mind.

The Musicas (http://coalabaer.wordpress.com/anleitungen-pattern/) went quickly so far, doing a few changes like a longer cuff (and maybe a longer thumb gusset for extra width) and I was not expecting that gloves from fingering weight would go so quickly with fair isle. But they do. One night and I am 2/3 done with the left hand. So that will not be too bad, really.

My endpapers I will have to make special, since they are mine. But the deciting takes so loooong.

Fingerless gloves are such a quick knit for gifts, I can only recommend that to everyone. Desgin yourself silly, use the existing desgins out there or just make them plain, textured or striped... anything goes and they are very effective.

Why on earth are they called "endpaper"??? I have no clue. maybe someone can explain that to me as well?
That would be very apreciated!

hyperactive
10-29-2010, 03:10 PM
I just wanted to show my new fair isle mitts. Musica (Pattern I found on Ravelry)

http://images4.ravelry.com/uploads/hyperactive/43749409/musica_1_medium2.jpg

http://images4.ravelry.com/uploads/hyperactive/43749531/musica_2_medium2.jpg

http://images4.ravelry.com/uploads/hyperactive/43749670/musica_3_medium2.jpg

This is the first one, mainly this worked out in one night and a little finishing.

MerigoldinWA
10-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Yours are looking nice. I made most of one of these and lost interest. I haven't frogged yet, but probably will. I didn't like the look of the cast on they promoted for these, I suppose it looks fine when they are worn though.

I just noticed the Musica Mitts below here. I haven't seen those before. Cool.

Why are they called End Paper? I know the answer to this. :lol: Can't remember how I found out. In old books they often used pattered paper inside the front and back covers that had interesting pattern designs. These are either taken from one such pattern or just reminiscent of "end paper".

hyperactive
10-30-2010, 02:40 AM
Ha!
Thanks for the explanation of the name! That makes sense. A paper structure could well be.

I actually like that Italian Cast on (I found a video showing it but now heard of a workmate - who knits, too - that she does something else for an Italian cast on... maybe there are term confusions again?). What I like is the actual invisible cast on edge that also mostly matches the bind off they do: stretchy as the fabric, seamless beginning and no bulk. But any tubular cast on may do as well.
Had I desgined something like this, I would have probably started with a provisional cast on right underneath the pattern (with that one set up round needed) and then worked the cuff down from there in the end, then you would have a perfect match for both ends.

I am actually making another pair of fingerless mitts soon, since now I want one for myself. I will take the base of the endpaper mitts and use the design I improvised yesterday evening. It consists of swirls ranking up the mitt and will be identical on top and bottom of the mitt and mirrored on the other hand. Let's hope it looks as good in knitting as it does on paper and especially in my head. I will post pics ofcourse, and if anyone is interested, I will share my charts.

hyperactive
10-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Oh, I owe you an update. This morning I finished my musica mitts. one more project done for x-mas. I am getting there bit by bit.

http://images4.ravelry.com/uploads/hyperactive/43794408/musica_4_medium2.jpg
http://images4.ravelry.com/uploads/hyperactive/43794522/musica_5_medium2.jpg
http://images4.ravelry.com/uploads/hyperactive/43794594/musica_6_medium2.jpg

More pics in my Ravelry projects.

They were a much quicker knit than I thought. I also got along with the pattern better then I thought. After I was partially done with no. 1 I did make enlargement copies of the chart to be able to tell the lines appart better and use high lighter pens in 2 colors (every other line and then the color repeats 4 rows later).
That helps you even through the most strange charts.

I did pick up 6 stitches over the thumb, not just 4, since the thumbs fit better in my eyes and enable the motion more.

hyperactive
11-01-2010, 06:52 PM
I am restless - and we had a hollyday so I had an extra day to this weekend.
I finished a hat and also the first one for my Grapevine Mitts.
The design is basically a modification of the endpaper mitts - but I did change more than just the design. These mitts are for myself this time.
Sorry for the color appearance. The light was not good in here.

http://images4.ravelry.com/uploads/hyperactive/44043985/Grapevine_1_medium2.jpg