PDA

View Full Version : projects for money

amala
10-28-2010, 02:20 AM
i am knitting my first project that will not be a gift. I am donating it to a silent auction. I'm not sure how to go about pricing the item for the auction. is there a method or formula that most people use when selling their items to determine the price? any suggestions would be helpful.

Jan in CA
10-28-2010, 03:21 AM
During an auction people bid on it..so are you looking for a starting price or something?

We need to know what you are making and what kind of yarn (name and fiber) to help, too. For instance a hat in acrylic and a hat in alpaca would probably be priced differently.

amala
10-28-2010, 03:40 AM
it's a silent auction and the woman running it wants to know what i think the starting bid should be. it's a throw or small blanket made from lion brand homespun. i just wasn't sure if it's the kind of thing when pricing that you price it based on what you paid for the yarn or what.

kniftybits
10-28-2010, 06:48 AM
Hi Amala,
I've coordinated silent auctions for nonprofits, so I hope this helps. Your price is more than the cost of the yarn, because you are adding value by knitting the yarn. Your time is worth a lot. To get an idea of how much, try visiting etsy.com and seeing what shopkeepers are valuing hand knit throws at. Once you've determined a price (and don't undervalue yourself) set the starting bid at 30-40% of the total price. I hope this helps! Good luck and good for you for donating! Cheers!

RuthieinMaryland
10-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Hi! :waving:

I've made two afghans out of Homespun and I just wanted to let you know that you've made a great choice.

I made one afghan for me and I love it! I call it my magic blanket since I get so comfortable under it I usually end up napping! :) In fact, when I've let my husband use it, he does the same thing.

The other Homespun afghan I made was for my cousin who absolutely treasures it. He huddles under that thing all winter. We have some pretty nasty cold spells here and he just loves to come in from work and wrap up in that afghan like a mummy and thaw out! :woohoo:

So whoever gets your afghan will have a real cozy treasure! Thanks so much for being so generous!

Happy knitting,

Ruthie :hug:

ArtLady1981
11-01-2010, 02:56 PM
I read somewhere...to charge a penny per stitch plus cost of yarn.