PDA

View Full Version : Felting

blueygh2
11-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Yay!

I'm back after a long while.

And just the other day, I went to a yarn shop and bought some yarn to knit or crochet felted things. Great.

What am I gonna do with it though....

I shouldn't leave house in an inebriated state of mind.

Leads to questions like: I got yarn. I like yarn. But what will it ever be or become?

Oh, the cashier, male, asked if I had the right needles. Almost as if this was the first time I was buying yarn. So yeah!

WandaT
11-02-2010, 06:47 AM
Congrats!! Feels good doesn't it? Can't wait to see what you decide to do with your new goodies!

cindycactus
11-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Hats..I love doing felted hats. :knitting:

RuthieinMaryland
11-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Hi! :waving:

It's really good to see you back with us again. I was wondering where you got to and 'lo and behold, here you are! :yay:

I was just reading about felting (also more accurately called "fulling") in Claire Crompton's "The Knitter's Bible". It has an excellent article on the process itself and some wonderful pictures that show a properly fulled piece and one that's gone too far over into nothing but a tangled, matted mess.

I was thinking that slipper socks would be a great candidate for it, especially since there's so much extra warmth once the process is done. And I'm sure a lot of craft stores have non-slip bottoms that you could apply to avoid accidents. In fact, in the latest Herrschner's catalog I saw some liquid "rubber" and some great templates in the shape of cat's paws, stars, half moons and such. I'd bet that Michael's, AC Moore and/or Hobby Lobby would have something similar.

Whatever you choose to make, please keep us posted. And again -

WELCOME BACK! :clink:

Happy knitting,

Ruthie

ArtLady1981
11-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Hats..I love doing felted hats. :knitting:

I have more than a few felted hats on my radar! I love the look!
I just have to get off my duff and do them!

I do like the felted look for bags, hats and slipper/shoes.

borealowl
11-13-2010, 03:21 PM
I made an easy felted purse with one skein of Patons Classic Wool in brown tweed and the same pattern in black. It is in an old issue of knitty.com with a maple leaf on the front but I made it plain. One of Paton's pattern booklets has an easy slipper pattern I would like to try.:wink: