PDA

View Full Version : FO: Cable & Eyelet Hat

kmaclean
11-16-2010, 11:15 PM
This cable & eyelet hat is for my grandmother's birthday this weekend. I used this pattern (http://jlyarnworks.blogspot.com/2008/07/hermiones-cable-eyelet-hat.html) by JL Yarnworks, and Paton's Canadiana yarn in "Medium Green Tea".

I love the color ... it's perfect for my grandma. Overall, I think it turned out really well (although if I made it again I would make it a little shorter).

ArtLady1981
11-17-2010, 01:21 AM
This hat is absolutely righteous! You did a perfect job of knitting,
and also chose the perfect yarn for the pattern! Way to go!

WandaT
11-17-2010, 09:54 AM
It turned out PERFECT!!! Great job!

Jan in CA
11-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Pretty! I love cabled caps.

mks22300
11-17-2010, 08:26 PM
One of my favorite Hermione hats! Great job!!

MerigoldinWA
11-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Pretty hat! I love the color you used. Your grandmother will be very happy with it. :heart:

bambi
11-19-2010, 12:23 AM
Beautiful! Love the colorway!

Slim
11-20-2010, 07:34 AM
I love the combination of eyelets and cables in this hat, and the color you chose. Beautiful!

DontCallMeDora
11-21-2010, 03:25 PM
I've made that hat...absolutely gorgeous. Job well done!

margz3
11-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Very pretty!! I love the eyelets with the cable - so unique!

auburnchick
11-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Beautiful hat!! I love those cables!! GREAT job!

kittykins
12-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi kmaclean!
I have fallen head over heels for this hat! Just love the pattern and you did a beautiful job of knitting it. Here's my question: In all the years I've been knitting I've yet to try circular needles or dpn's. For the life of me, I don't know what's been holding me back. (What's the worst thing that could happen....maybe do a bunch of frogging? Good grief I've certainly done plenty of that in the past.:frog:) Well that's about to change after the holiday season is over. No more procrastinating! I don't think I'd have any problem with this pattern itself,(cables. etc). If I did, I know I could come here for help. I'm just wondering if I should maybe start with something like a simple beanie to sort of get used to knitting in the round first?... Feedback from you and anyone else would be deeply appreciated! Thanks! Jeanie

kmaclean
12-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Hi kittykins!

This really is a very pretty hat ... and the pattern itself is not difficult, I haven't done many intricate patterns before and even I had this pattern memorized after one or two repeats. :teehee:

As for knitting in the round ... It really isn't as difficult as it seems. It sounds like you've had a fair bit of experience with knitting flat, so I would definitely give it a try. I much prefer knitting in the round to having to seam things at the end! It's probably not necessary, but you could always do a small "test" project (such as the simple beanie you suggested) to practice the technique first. That way you could try out a couple of different methods of circular knitting to see which is most comfortable for you - for example, I favour the Magic Loop method for most of my circular knitting (less needles in the way and I only have DPNs in very small sizes) but I know there are lots of people here who hate Magic Loop and would much rather use DPNs. :thumbsup:

kittykins
12-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the advise! One of my (many) flaws is that I tend to "over think" when it comes to anything I haven't tried before. Making something much more complex than it is.Then when I finally do it, I could kick myself and wonder what the heck was the big fuss about. I'll probably end up being one of those knitters that totally gives up straight needles!:roflhard: Seaming is not one of my favorite things to do, so learning this is going to make me a much happier knitter.

kmaclean
12-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Definitely! I mean, it's only knitting ... right? Worst case scenario, you end up having to rip it out and try again! :teehee:

Ronda
12-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Great hat! You did a great job.