PDA

View Full Version : Casting Issues

shannonp
11-18-2010, 01:53 AM
I am new to the knitting world but decided to give it a whirl! I have needles, yarn, a book, and good ol' YouTube. What is giving me problems is casting. Yup, can't get past the basics. :)

At any rate, I feel like I have the process down fairly well, but none of the knots are lining up. Everything goes well until the 7th stitch and then I have no idea what is going on. Am I pulling too tight or just inconsistently?

Thank you!!

suzeeq
11-18-2010, 09:15 AM
In what way are the knots not 'lining up'? The main thing is to just get some loops on the needle. Or you can try another cast on method, there's several of them.

Jan in CA
11-18-2010, 12:13 PM
There are videos at the top of the page you can watch. When you're learning it's more important to just do it and tension and even stitches come later with practice.

hyperactive
11-18-2010, 12:43 PM
which cast on method are you working with? as said above, there are several ones.

If I had just learned casting on for ever and ever, my stuff would not have come out.
When I teach knitting, a lot of times, I do the first cast on and let people try their knit stitches for a while. THEN I teach them to cast on on their own. That gives them more confidence and quicker success.

But when learning on your own, casting on - some way or another - comes first.

Really, any way that gives you loops over the needle is totally fine for a starting point.

When watching the videos up top, try the knitting on method. That is fairly simple and really works well with a lot of projects.

casting on is as much a sience as a lot of other things in knitting. Get the basics rolling and then become a master by and by.

Have fun with knitting.

PS: if you have 7 stitches cast on for now... well then work them. Just do it. No one says that there is a recommended or mandatory number of stitches to work for a first test piece. 7 is good.
Next time you will know more and make it past 7.