PDA

View Full Version : Knittingaid - a tool for those with physical issues

hyperactive
11-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Hi!
the title is a little awkward since I did not know how exactly to describe it. I found this on youtube and looked at the website.

The knittingaid is a tool that helps you to knit when you can not hold the needles right due to physical issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUnldRBYH3o

This video brought me to the website:

http://knittingaid.com/

and then I thought that maybe some of you might need this (judging from questions we hear in the forum), might like this or know someone who might want to give it a try.

Mind that: I have not seen one in person, I have not used one and I just came across it online. No judgement of mine on the product.

But maybe someone has used or seen it and has an oppinion to share?

kmaclean
11-19-2010, 10:08 AM
What an interesting concept! I'd never heard of that before. I wonder how effective it is? :think:

dddebbb3
11-22-2010, 07:56 AM
I'd love to hear from someone who's used this before my own hands get too gnarled to hold needles. Supposed there's one that could be used with circulars?

RuthieinMaryland
11-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi! :waving:

Knitters like you, Hyperactive, are part of what makes this site so valuable.

Thanks so much for forwarding this information along. I'm sure it will be useful to some already and it's good to know that in future the rest of us have options that will allow us to continue knitting!

You're very thoughtful and it's appreciated!

Happy knitting,

Ruthie :hug:

hyperactive
11-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Well, I just thought of all those questions here about how to continue when things are physically difficult (due to age, illness, accident, or something like this).

My grandmother that taught me knitting was working on straight needles all the time. She was mainly making pullovers for my brother and me and for herself. She was suffering shoulder and neck issues and had problems with her joints.

From her docotor she learned that holding the straight needles with the weight of the knitting pulling down on that lever was the issue she suffered. So she switched to circular needles entirely and was happy with knitting for many years later.

That is my reason why I switched to circular needles a LONG time ago in my childhood and never bought straight needles (other than dpn, of course).

Now we empty my grandmother's house after she died and first my mother found a bunch of old straight needles (that are now residing with me), then I found a box with about 20 circulars in many different length and sizes. Also some dpn, cable needle and "quick knit needles" (those that are like circulars but with a stopper on the end and not connected sides).

For a lot of crafts you can make life easier if needed. And knowing how... makes it a lot easier.