PDA

View Full Version : Knitting related fiction

Debkcs
11-20-2010, 07:20 AM
So, I'm taking a writing course and as one of my passions is yarn in any form, my instructor has suggested I write a fictional story about a knitter. Not a mystery, too many of those. I've wracked my brain, but all I've come up with is Merlin sitting in a cave explaining to an owl why he knits. :roflhard: (Need to lay off the Mexican food and drink before writing.)

Any suggestions?

TIA!

cftwo
11-20-2010, 01:41 PM
When I look back on pieces I've done one of the things I remember is what happened while I was knitting/stitching that piece. There's the piece I was working on when I was dumped by a guy I hadn't realized I was in a relationship with. There's the piece I was working on when my cat was dying. There's the piece I made from yarn I found while visiting a good friend (where we dragged her DH to yet another yarn store :) ). My point is that you could tell the story of a knitted piece, and may be able to weave some flash-backs into the story. So maybe Merlin has a finished sweater or cape or whatever: what story does that sweater have?

wellslipmystitches
11-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Tia, You've chosen a character from the 12th century, with connections to magic. Go with that and think of not just how to knit but all the things that are involved.

Certainly Merlin, a wizard, could conjure up any pattern, so how would he do that? .. what would he use for needles? ... but he must still acquire the type (maybe magic) yarn from magic animals that have never been found on earth before. A wizard can do that easily. He just has to know the territory and the right incantation.

Why does he have to knit and for what reason? King Arthur's knights are suffering a very cold winter and are in desperate need of warm undies or non-itchy jock straps or a magic yarn to repel spears cause their armor is at the shop getting a much needed WD40 treatment??? It can be silly or sane. It's up to you. Have fun with it. Invent everything if you're going to stick with the magic theme. Your subject has unparalleled possibilities.

Knitting is magic anyway and if you research some of the history you might be able to tie it in with your story. I've never written anything without some necessary research and I always begin my ideas with, why was it done, or why did it happen the first time? Enjoy your assignment and good luck!
Jean

Lighting57
11-21-2010, 04:00 PM
WOW, Jean you seem to really have the head for this sort of thing. Perhaps you should write a book as you discribe. I'll read it if you do.

wellslipmystitches
11-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Surely, you've heard, everyone has a book to write. You need to focus on writing not reading as per your teacher's request.

I'm glad if my words have been a little bit helpful. Be sure to send me your final draft.
Jean

Debkcs
11-22-2010, 08:09 PM
This class has been a lot of fun, but a lot of work. There are many story ideas here, and I appreciate all of them.

Hmm, a mystic jock strap has many possibilities.

Thanks everyone~~~~~