PDA

View Full Version : Gauge Issue!

billfantastik
12-14-2010, 01:28 AM
Hello,

My project calls for a gauge where 14sts/16rows gets you a 4"sq in a size 10.5 needle. I got a 3" sq. Going up to size 13, I'd get the right gauge, but the yarn would be too loose for the project.

My boyfriend (whom I'm knitting for) measures 37" around the chest, which puts him in b/w sizes small and medium. Should I just go with the size 10.5 needle knitting a medium sized sweater or go up to a size 13 and knitting him a sweater that may be a tad big on him?

Thanks!
Kat

Jan in CA
12-14-2010, 01:42 AM
What yarn does the pattern call for and what are you using? I wondering if you are using a different gauge.

dddebbb3
12-14-2010, 07:54 AM
Don't go to the larger needles if they make the fabric too flimsy! I did this once and was really sorry I did.

If my back of envelope figgerin' is right, the pattern calls for a gauge of 3.5 stitches per inch, and you're getting 4.66. You want a 37" chest. Multiple 4.66 x 37, see if the directions for one of the larger sizes has about that many stitches in the chest, and just follow the directions for that size.

Remember to allow for ease. My personal preference is to make a sweater a little too big than too small.

suzeeq
12-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Sounds like the pattern needs a bulky yarn and you have a worsted, or else you knit tight. You could try an 11 and see how that goes, but it may be too thin for your yarn. You don't want the sweater the same size as his chest measurememt though, men like sweaters that are 2-4" larger than they are. So you actually want something about 40" around. Multiply your gauge times 40 and see which larger size is closest to that measurement (might be medium, might be large) and use that. But for the lengths, where it says to knit to X inches, use the measurement given for the smaller size.