PDA

View Full Version : How fast can you whip out a sweater vest?

CoolWool
12-21-2010, 01:56 AM
This is my first garment and it's pretty basic. Just a garter stitch shell with very little hoopla (from the chicks with sticks book). Anyway, it's taking a really long time. I started two weeks ago and knit for at least an hour per day... and I've only finished about 10" of the back. *sigh*

Anyway, here are my questions for you other advanced beginners (and pros - go ahead, rub it in). Do you knit one project at a time, finish it, and then move on? Or do you have several irons in the fire for when you get bored (like I'm getting)? Or maybe you're able to whip out sweater vests in your sleep? Guess I'm just needing some encouragement or something...

:knitting:

Jan in CA
12-21-2010, 04:02 AM
You have a couple questions here. No way could I whip out a sweater vest in only an hour a day. It always takes me longer to make garments. And yes I have several projects going at the same time. Sometimes you need a break.

kmaclean
12-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Larger projects, especially garments, are going to take you longer to complete. Beginners often start with smaller projects that will provide "instant gratification" when they are completed quickly, so when you move to a larger project such as a sweater vest you may feel like it's taking forever (at least, that's how I felt when I made my first sweater!).

Just remind yourself that it's a large project and that you're only working on it for an average of an hour per day ... so it may take awhile to complete. It will be very satisfying when it's finally finished, I promise!

In the meantime, you could always work on another smaller project at the same time to keep things interesting for yourself. I usually have a couple of projects on the go at any given time ... one may be a larger/more complex project such as a sweater, and the others are usually smaller (such as a hat or pair of mittens). That way when I have time to knit I can choose which project I feel like working on (eg. if I'm watching TV or talking to someone I probably won't choose a complex project to work on since it requires more concentration).

Good luck! :knitting:

CoolWool
12-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Man, I'm wondering how much you guys knit per day. If I'm working on a cozy or something small, I can knit for a few hours. But this sweater makes me SLEEPY. lol Plus it doesn't help that I need a large size, so I'm knitting 98 boring garter stitches back and forth. By the 4th row or so, I'm yawning. :zombie:

It'll be AWESOME when it's done though. So I'll just keep plugging away.

suzeeq
12-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Garter stitch is boring whether it's a scarf or a garment. You could mix it up a little, doing a few inches in stockinette st so you have 'stripes' of different stitches.

CoolWool
12-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Garter stitch is boring whether it's a scarf or a garment. You could mix it up a little, doing a few inches in stockinette st so you have 'stripes' of different stitches.

I totally agree! Not only is it boring, but it's going to look a little strange too. I'm about 10" up on the back panel though. Not too sure how I'd change it up at this point... Unless I try it out on the front panel. Maybe I will! :D

Mike
12-21-2010, 12:12 PM
I can make a sleeved sweater in a month. I can also take a year to make the same sweater if I only work on it for an hour here and there. To get one done in a month it takes every free moment and I have a lot of free moments.

It depends on what I need to get done but I generally have more than one thing going. When I get sick of working on the same big thing I put it down and make a wash cloth. I generally don't have 2 large knitting things going on at the same time.

Mike
12-21-2010, 12:15 PM
so I'm knitting 98 boring garter stitches back and forth.

That's not so boring once you don't have to look. You can watch a movie while you knit.

suzeeq
12-21-2010, 12:41 PM
If you decide to make the front all stockinette (leave the lower border in garter for a couple of inches though) make sure you go by measurement to match the length of the back, not rows. Garter rows are 'shorter' than stockinette so there's more of them per inch.

To switch to stockinette now, just purl a row instead of knit it, then alternate knit and purl rows.

CoolWool
12-21-2010, 12:55 PM
That's not so boring once you don't have to look. You can watch a movie while you knit.

I'm not to that point yet. Alllmost.... I've only been knitting a few months. But you're right. Can't wait 'till I'm at that point! :yay:

trvvn5
12-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Thats what I do. I knit while I watch TV. Especially if its a show that I find kind of boring. I can knit up a sweater in about a month if I am working on well. Especially if its stockinette in the round. I can fly on that kind of sweater.

I'm not to that point yet. Alllmost.... I've only been knitting a few months. But you're right. Can't wait 'till I'm at that point! :yay:

bambi
12-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Yeah, well, I've been knitting a really boring pattern, mostly ST st, about 250 st worth, for TWO YEARS! I have finally come to the last set of decreases. :woohoo:

http://www.unicornbooks.com/pattern_RTsaddleshpo.asp

In that time, I've completed lots of other projects. So, in answer to your question, yes, I knit several projects at a time.

knitcindy
12-22-2010, 10:01 AM
I just finished up my first sweater and it took me a couple of months to finish. Of course, since I have at least 3 projects OTN at the same time, I don't know exactly how long it took!!!

I currently have 1 big afghan project "on the back burner" so to speak; as well as several smaller projects going all at the same time. That way I have something small I can grab on my way out the door when I'm headed to the Dr's office or somewhere where I'll be waiting for awhile. My afghan is getting big enough where it has to spread out on the floor, so I only work on it at home.

Soooooo, long story short, I do NOT work on one thing at a time.

Happy knitting,
knitcindy

kmaclean
12-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Yeah, well, I've been knitting a really boring pattern, mostly ST st, about 250 st worth, for TWO YEARS! I have finally come to the last set of decreases. :woohoo:

http://www.unicornbooks.com/pattern_RTsaddleshpo.asp

Oooh I like that pattern! I've bookmarked it for my husband .... but hearing that it's taken you two years so far I'm a little hesitant! :rofl:

RuthieinMaryland
12-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Hi! :waving:

Maybe it's me, but I never object to being able to flake out in front of the TV with my knitting in my lap, especially when it's something repetitive like garter stitch.

The first year I really got back into knitting I made 17 garter stitch scarves for gifts and I was in heaven! (So were the folks who got them!) Yes, it can get a little mind-numbing but still soothing in its own way.

I've moved on to more complex projects now, of course, and I've noticed that if I pay attention to smoothing out the motions I use to make the stitches, my speed increases and I get lots more knitted than I normally would!

Good luck with your progress. Keep us "in the loop" :roflhard: on your projects!

Ruthie :hug:

CoolWool
12-22-2010, 08:43 PM
TWO YEARS! Holy... (Cool pattern though!) Well... I finally went to my LYS today for the first time and ended up buying some baby alpaca for a pair of mittens. So now I'll have 2 pojects OTN. *sigh*

CoolWool
12-23-2010, 05:33 PM
I think I just hit upon a great idea for Chritmas gifts for several little girls on my list.
baby alpaca mittens...??

Jan in CA
12-23-2010, 09:17 PM
baby alpaca mittens...??

I think that was spam so I moved it.