PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as small circular loop with large knitting needles?

knitAbikini
12-27-2010, 12:15 PM
For instance, like a US 10 8" circular? It appears that all the very small circulars are also small in needles size (00, 0, 1, 2, etc). It seems to me it is perfectly possible to manufacture a larger size needle like a 10 on a small circular loop. Anybody know of something like this? (I know DPNS are an option, just curious about the world of circular needles)

Thanks!

suzeeq
12-27-2010, 12:22 PM
There are some 9" circulars, but usually in smaller sizes I think. Many people don't like to use such short ones because the needle tips are smaller than on regular circs.

You don't need to use either dpns or short circs; look at the Advanced techniques page for videos on Magic Loop and knitting with 2 circulars for small items.

knitAbikini
12-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Sue, thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for!

suzeeq
12-27-2010, 03:26 PM
There's also a single loop variation (http://purplesagedesigns.wordpress.com/2009/01/09/tutorial-single-loop-instead-of-magic-loop-for-knitting-in-the-round/) of the ML where you only have one loop and it doesn't need as long a needle.

fatoldladyinpjs
12-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Double points are a pain. I, too, use the magic loop method with circulars. I use circulars for everything, knitting in the round and straight back and forth knitting. I'm not losing needles inside the sofa anymore.