PDA

View Full Version : OTN: Irish Hiking Scarf

crazykntter83
01-01-2011, 03:55 PM
I've been working on this since Thursday night. I haven't gotten as far as I would have liked to yet, but I like the way it's turning out. This is my first cable project, so let me know what you think and if it looks like I've screwed up anywhere lol.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs013.snc6/166363_486052844164_509789164_5656406_2214413_n.jp g

CoolWool
01-02-2011, 12:39 AM
Oh it looks COOL!! :heart: I love cable and have yet to try it. Is it difficult to master? I don't even have a cable needle yet...

Jan in CA
01-02-2011, 01:50 AM
It looks great!

Cabling is one of those things that looks so impressive, but is actually much easier than you'd think. The hardest part is learning to keep track of where you are so the cables cross on the same row. I use a set of linked markers that make it easy to do. :thumbsup:

kittykins
01-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Hey you're doing great!:woot: I made myself finish up some Fan and Feather dish cloths before I started on my Irish Hiking scarf. With those out of the way, the first thing I did this morning, (after getting the coffee going:teehee: ), was to settle in my comfy chair and cast on. Only done one cable row so it doesn't look like much yet. Keep us posted on how yours is going.

Jan-What are linked markers and where do you place them?:shrug:

Breezed
01-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Jan-What are linked markers and where do you place them?:shrug:

I was curious about this as well. I looked it up but still not sure what to do with them. I haven't tried cabling yet myself but I was going to make a sampler scarf soon. I'm trying to find a pattern that has as many techniques as possible already in it.

Arielluria
01-02-2011, 06:09 PM
It looks great. I've made 2 of the Irish Hiking Scarves and 1 Palindrome (which is like a reversible IHS). I love mine & it's probably my most worn F.O. Great job, isn't it wonderful to realize how easy cabling is?????????

crazykntter83
01-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Actually the scarf it Pallindrome, I've just been calling it the Irish Hiking Scarl for some reason! I dunno, I weird lol. Cables are actually amazingly easy. I've just been just a dpn that's a few sizes smaller than my knitting needle. Seems to work really well. I think I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that in order for the cables to show well, that it'll need to be blocked. If so, does anyone have any recomendations as to how to block it? Thanks! :mrgreen:

crazykntter83
01-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Just wanted to post a quick update pic of the scarf. I did roughly 32 rows of knitting last night, which probably isn't all that much, but I'm pretty proud of myself. :)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs744.ash1/163628_487547694164_509789164_5689257_2010232_n.jp g

kittykins
01-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Jen, you are really movin' along! I maybe have about half as much as you do done on mine, but I can really see how lovely the cables are turning out. I'm also extremely glad I chose to do the reversible, (Palindrome), pattern! Did you ever say what yarn you're using? Love the color! I also have 2 other projects going so I'm trying to alternate between all of them. I seem to need to have AT LEAST 2 things going at the same time. It helps to keep my brain cells alert. (Well, hopfully:teehee: ) Jeanie

crazykntter83
01-04-2011, 03:08 PM
lol I can't have more than one project going, otherwise I get distracted by the one of them, and won't complete the other one til god only knows when. I'm using Hobby Lobby's I love this yarn! The color is navy. I'm ready to finish this up and move on to gloves lol.

HSRCampbell
01-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Crazyknitter, it looks great, thanks for the update! I have been hemming and hawing over which one to make for a friend who asked for one, and I think I'm almost sold on Palindrome.

Arielluria
01-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Great job. Blocking will relax all the stitches and make the cables stand out even more, yes. My favorite method of blocking is to put a picnic table cloth on my bed (King sized), diagonally for a long item like a scarf....and pin it down with T-pins.

MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE you close off the bedroom if you do this. I put a baby gate up to keep the dogs out (kids too if you have them), because if they eat even one of those T-pins it's $1000 at the vet or more! To dry more quickly I put a small floor fan on the bed, the circulating air makes it dry much faster.

WandaT
01-11-2011, 09:46 AM
It's looking wonderful!! What a beautiful blue!

ArtLady1981
01-14-2011, 03:20 AM
The IHS is such a classic! Yours is coming right along!
And the Palindrome is just like it, only reversible!

Debkcs
01-14-2011, 04:06 AM
I've made three or four, it's four, Palindrome scarves in different weights of yarn. There is nothing to it, once you get going, and it sort of becomes automatic. You don't even need a cable needle, as long as the TV doesn't distract you too much. Ask me how I know that :doh:

So far, the one I made up in Malabrigo is my favorite. Unfortunately, made it for the woman who does my hair, so I don't get to see it too often.

Keep going, and be sure to show it to us when it's done, pretty sure you'll love it.

crazykntter83
01-14-2011, 10:50 AM
I've made three or four, it's four, Palindrome scarves in different weights of yarn. There is nothing to it, once you get going, and it sort of becomes automatic. You don't even need a cable needle, as long as the TV doesn't distract you too much. Ask me how I know that :doh:

So far, the one I made up in Malabrigo is my favorite. Unfortunately, made it for the woman who does my hair, so I don't get to see it too often.

Keep going, and be sure to show it to us when it's done, pretty sure you'll love it.
It an extremely easy pattern to remember. Once I figured out how to do the cable(still a newbie with that :blush:) it was super easy to remember. Even for me forget everything! :rofl:
It's getting really big. I've been working really hard on it. I am determined to finish it today. Once I have it finished I will be definitely be posting pics!!! I would right now, but it needs to be washed bc it has animal hair on it. Next time I am getting a plastic baggie to put my project in!!!!! Thanks for the support guys!!! :mrgreen: :hug:

Jan in CA
01-19-2011, 03:07 PM
I will make a new post this afternoon explaining the linked markers and link to it here as well. :thumbsup:

ETA: Okay, here's the link to the post about linked markers.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1312663#post1312663