PDA

View Full Version : KNITTING HELP!

hharroun
01-01-2011, 09:14 PM
I am making a scarf, and every time I make it, the project ends up twisting. I am just knitting every row, so nothing complicated. Does anyone know why the scarf doesn't lie flat and twists instead?

luvmykid28
01-01-2011, 09:31 PM
I am making a scarf, and every time I make it, the project ends up twisting. I am just knitting every row, so nothing complicated. Does anyone know why the scarf doesn't lie flat and twists instead?

I am guess that it is twisting because you haven't knit enough rows yet. If so just keep going and the weight of the knitting will soon pull the scarf down.

hharroun
01-01-2011, 10:06 PM
I am guess that it is twisting because you haven't knit enough rows yet. If so just keep going and the weight of the knitting will soon pull the scarf down.

I will knit the entire scarf and it still does it

luvmykid28
01-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Can you post a picture? It would be easier to know what is going on if we see it.

suzeeq
01-01-2011, 11:56 PM
If the scarf is very narrow it'll twist around too. It could be that you're knitting the sts so they're twisted and that will bias the whole thing, or the yarn is spun so that it biases. If you could post a good closeup that shows the sts, it may help.

hharroun
01-02-2011, 04:05 PM
I don't know how to post a picture. the individual stitches aren't twisted. it is the whole project. instead of the scarf lying flat, the edges spiral around. it happens every time i knit. I have a picture but i don't know how to post it on here.

Jan in CA
01-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Is the scarf in stockinette stitch? That is knit a row, turn and purl the next? If so then that is normal and the only way to fix that is with a border that is a non curling stitch. 5 or more rows/stitches works best.

A very narrow scarf in any stitch will often curl anyway.

If the picture is on your computer make sure it's not larger than 800 pixels wide on the longest side..smaller is actually better. Then you can click the paperclip to attach it.

suzeeq
01-02-2011, 05:24 PM
She said she's knitting every row, so it's in garter. That will happen on narrow pieces, it could happen when sts are twisted, or it can happen when the yarn biases. (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/FEATwhyply.html)

So a picture or more information would be helpful, thanks for showing how to do it.

hharroun
01-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Thanks! I just noticed all the stitches were twisted. I figured out how to make them straight, so I think my problem has been solved :)

She said she's knitting every row, so it's in garter. That will happen on narrow pieces, it could happen when sts are twisted, or it can happen when the yarn biases. (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/FEATwhyply.html)

So a picture or more information would be helpful, thanks for showing how to do it.

suzeeq
01-02-2011, 11:34 PM
That should help as long at you've got enough sts to make it about 6" wide or more.