PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Knitting Resolutions - Follow Through!

Shandeh
01-02-2011, 06:59 PM
It's that time of year again! Time to make promises that you can actually keep.

Tell us your knitting resolutions for this year! :)

Maybe you want to learn a new stitch...
Or try a new pattern...
...use a different yarn.
...organize your stash of yarn.
...set up a craft room in your house.
...subscribe to a knitting magazine.
...buy a whole new set of knitting needles and supplies

As for me, I resolve to finish up all the projects I've still got on the needles. (A HUGE task!) :shock:

I might have to hire some pinch knitters. :teehee:
:X: :guyknitting: :knitting:

Breezed
01-02-2011, 07:05 PM
My plans are
1. cable sampler scarf
2. lace sampler scarf/stole
3. master socks (failed first attempt and haven't tried again)
There is more I wanted to list but I can't recall right now.

appercat
01-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Major ones?

To finish the 2 afgahns/blankets I have on needles...
To knit an ovarian cancer survivor a scarf in the teal....

Minor ones? Hopefully to do a few christmas gifts earlier for next (this) year.

Jan in CA
01-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Wait..that's what resolutions are? I thought they were things we promise, but have no intention of keeping even though we can. :lol::lol::lol:

I suppose I should finish up my projects on the needles, but.... I really, really want to start something new!!

hookedonknitting
01-02-2011, 11:55 PM
I want to finish this dang shawl and start something I haven't tried before. I really want to make some toy for my kids but I have also been thinking of socks lately...so who knows a sock monkey maybe? :)

RuthieinMaryland
01-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Hi! :waving:

So many things I knit tend to just roll out the door as soon as they're finished, blocked and wrapped. (Sometimes I don't even get to wash them first, the recipient just clutches them and refuses to let go!):)

As a result, I haven't been taking photos or even making a list of the things I finish off. It would be nice, I think, to have that on hand so I can look back over the year and see my progress. And also it'd be nice to be able to share the pictures with other knitters!

So, for the new year, I'm doing a log of my finished projects and taking photos of all my finished work.

Also, I will FINALLY finish the book I've been working on forever involving how to design your own kitchen cotton knits! :clink: I just started one of the final projects for it tonight, so I'm on my way! :woohoo:

Hope all here have a wonderful new knitting year!

Ruthie :hug:

CoolWool
01-03-2011, 12:16 AM
1. Finish that dang sweater vest.
2. Join a knitting group.
3. Learn how to cable.
4. Learn how to use two circular needles. (!??)
5. Start an after-school knitting club in the fall, which of course will be called "COOL WOOL SCHOOL." heh

:thud:

Smee
01-03-2011, 01:25 PM
1. Finish the few projects I have on my needles (OU hat, hat/glove/scarf set, my girl's UT hat)

2. Of course to accomplish all that I have to learn to knit finger-gloves.

3. I want to knit something for myself that is NOT a simple neck gaiter. I want to knit a sweater. Just for me. In colours I like and a style I like that is not just off the rack that everyone has.

4. Knit a pair of socks for the hubster. He wants some good socks that don't make his feet sweat but are super comfy. He's found some he's going to try through Under Armor, but if I can make some similar, I'd rather do that for him.

TEMA
01-03-2011, 03:16 PM
To explore new possibilities for patchwork knitting and applique as regards to knitting art... whether it be for the wall or for the sweater.
To not listen to that not so quiet voice that tells me I can't possibly do it when, in the end, I can.
TEMA

Daylilydayzed
01-03-2011, 07:06 PM
My New Year Resolutions are these
1. Learn to knit socks
2. Knit my D-I-L her shawl I promised for Christmas
3. Knit something for me out of my ball of yarn called Daylily

crazykntter83
01-03-2011, 10:22 PM
1. Finish the few projects I have on my needles (OU hat, hat/glove/scarf set, my girl's UT hat)

2. Of course to accomplish all that I have to learn to knit finger-gloves.

3. I want to knit something for myself that is NOT a simple neck gaiter. I want to knit a sweater. Just for me. In colours I like and a style I like that is not just off the rack that everyone has.

4. Knit a pair of socks for the hubster. He wants some good socks that don't make his feet sweat but are super comfy. He's found some he's going to try through Under Armor, but if I can make some similar, I'd rather do that for him.
Ok, I just saw that you're making an OU hat. Are you from Oklahoma?????? If so, I'm from the Tulsa part. I just moved here from GA almost 9 months ago to be with my gf, and have been wondering if there were any fellow OK knitters out here. Sorry to get off topic for the rest of you reading it, I just got super excited lol.
Ok, so my knitting resolutions is to finish the scarf that I'm working on. Next, I want to learn to make gloves. After that, I want to make a hat to match the scarf and the gloves. Then, I want to try to make a sweater. And last but not least, I want to learn to make socks. Oh, and I also want to take more time out of each day to work on my knitting. With so many projects that I'm wanting to try, goodness knows that I'll need it lol. So, expect to see me in the how to section a lot asking questions as I will be learning a lot of new things lol.
:knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting:

TrueIconoclast
01-04-2011, 12:03 AM
That's a very good question! This year, I want to:

1) Learn how to increase beyond YO
2) Learn how to decrease beyond K2Tog/P2Tog
3) Learn to use DPN's and circulars
4) Learn intarsia

Shandeh
01-04-2011, 04:45 AM
Wait..that's what resolutions are? I thought they were things we promise, but have no intention of keeping even though we can. :lol::lol::lol:
:roflhard:
That's true of all my OTHER resolutions! (losing weight, getting my house organized, etc.)

As a result, I haven't been taking photos or even making a list of the things I finish off. It would be nice, I think, to have that on hand so I can look back over the year and see my progress. And also it'd be nice to be able to share the pictures with other knitters!
My favorite place to list my knitting and crochet projects is Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com/)! :heart:

.........Start an after-school knitting club in the fall, which of course will be called "COOL WOOL SCHOOL." heh
:thumbsup:
I teach knitting lessons to kids, and love it! You'll have a blast. Good luck!

.........Knit a pair of socks for the hubster.
Silver's Sock Tutorial (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/) will help with that one.

To not listen to that not so quiet voice that tells me I can't possibly do it when, in the end, I can.
:thumbsup:

....Learn to knit socks
Silver's Sock Tutorial (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/)

Knit something for me out of my ball of yarn called Daylily
Cool! :wink:

Learn how to increase beyond YO.........Learn how to decrease beyond K2Tog/P2Tog
You'll see illustrations and videos on all sorts of increases and decreases here on the KH website. Amy did a great job of putting them together on their own page! :)
Increases (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases)
Decreases (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/decreases)

Learn to use DPN's and circulars
A great way to learn to use both is to make a hat in the round. You start off at the bottom of the hat on a 16 inch circular, then finish off the top on dpns when it gets too small to fit on the circular needles.
I think the hardest part of circular knitting is the very first row, where you join in the round. So, I made a video on YouTube just for that part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ajp0QUWYkk

Learn intarsia
Just pick a simple pattern with one design, like a star or a heart, and go for it!
Here's a simple design for making a happy face with a name above it: Happy Faces (http://www.patonsyarns.com/pattern.php?PID=4266&cps=21191)

crazykntter83
01-04-2011, 12:55 PM
That's a very good question! This year, I want to:

1) Learn how to increase beyond YO
2) Learn how to decrease beyond K2Tog/P2Tog
3) Learn to use DPN's and circulars
4) Learn intarsia

oooooooooooooooooooh I want to learn how to do insarsia too!!!! Yet another thing to add to my "to learn" list!!! :roflhard:
I need to go ahead and write all of the knitting accomplishments that I want to get done!!

Woodi
01-04-2011, 02:43 PM
I want to resolve to:
- knit something other than scarves and socks, afghans and hats...maybe a sweater? gadzooks, no courage for this, would need a class, or a ....what are those people called who coach you? ...oh yes, a "coach", hehe.
- get up some courage to buy a few things from KnittingDaily site (Interweave mag.)
The last time I tried, there was a silly coincidence of my credit card being hacked the very same day I had placed an order with them. and someone bought themselves a computer and a plane ticket, using my number (not my card, it wasn't stolen). I had accidentally left my purse in a donut shop for a few hours - got it back intact, but someone had cleverly copied my name and numbers, then went online and made some purchases.
So at first I thought the theft was because of my online purchase of Interweave mag and a book.....so I haven't been back there to complete my order (which was cancelled cuz my cc had to be changed). But I sure would like to! - they have the nicest patterns, and teaching videos I've ever seen anywhere!

Anyone else afraid to order from Interweave? maybe I could telephone my order in....
-

Woodi
01-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Thank you so much for posting the video on how to join in the round - it's always been a tough one for me. Much appreciated!

kittykins
01-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Let's see.....
1. Learn to knit with circular needles.
2. Learn to knit with DPN's.
3. Knit some socks and mittens.
I first want to get a good grasp of "knitting in the round" and that I think, is going to open up a whole new world of knitting to me. I've been knitting for decades and still remain intimidated by circular needles and DPN's. I can't explain why!! Well since my precious son bought me a computer, (which I'm slowly getting the hang of:wall:), and I found KH:muah:, I feel I now have so many wonderful members/friends here that will help me when I stumble. Oh, I think there will be some major stumbling going on.
THE BEST TO EVERYONE IN THE NEW YEAR!

crazykntter83
01-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Let's see.....
1. Learn to knit with circular needles.
2. Learn to knit with DPN's.
3. Knit some socks and mittens.
I first want to get a good grasp of "knitting in the round" and that I think, is going to open up a whole new world of knitting to me. I've been knitting for decades and still remain intimidated by circular needles and DPN's. I can't explain why!! Well since my precious son bought me a computer, (which I'm slowly getting the hang of:wall:), and I found KH:muah:, I feel I now have so many wonderful members/friends here that will help me when I stumble. Oh, I think there will be some major stumbling going on.
THE BEST TO EVERYONE IN THE NEW YEAR!
Trust me, I know exactly what you mean about dpns and circulars being scary. When I first tried dpns, I thought that I would drop the stitches or something. And all those needles....very intimidating!! But, I started knitting, and didn't drop one stitch! So my best advice to you, is just go for it! You'll be glad that you did!! :)

Crycket
01-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Finish everything I start...no matter how frustraiting...

Shandeh
01-04-2011, 11:43 PM
I want to resolve to: - knit something other than scarves and socks, afghans and hats...maybe a sweater?-
I've knit a few sweaters, but still want to make a cozy one to wear around the house, to keep me warm. Up until now, I was worried about the LOOK of them, instead of the comfort. I think I'll try making one with Bernat Denimstyle on the Bernat Blog. That yarn looks nice and cozy.

Thank you so much for posting the video on how to join in the round - it's always been a tough one for me. Much appreciated!
cloud9 You're welcome! I love helping people. :heart:

I first want to get a good grasp of "knitting in the round" and that I think, is going to open up a whole new world of knitting to me.
Go for it! :thumbsup:

Finish everything I start...no matter how frustraiting...
ME TOO! Crossed Fingers

Shandeh
01-05-2011, 01:24 AM
If you want to add "Charity Knitting" to your list of knitting resolutions, here is a quick project for you. Baby Hats for this charity are due before the end of February.
Save the Children - Caps for Good (http://www.goodgoes.org/caps?msource=ncassgge1110#&slider1=1)

Mokumegane
01-05-2011, 09:01 AM
(snip)

As for me, I resolve to finish up all the projects I've still got on the needles. (A HUGE task!) :shock:

I might have to hire some pinch knitters. :teehee:
:X: :guyknitting: :knitting:

:: raises hand :: I'll knit for you! Maybe my resolution will be that I start making Christmas presents before summer is over... :aww: It gets hectic near Christmastime!

nerbatron
01-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Socks: I am trying toe up and am fine until I get to the heel
Cables: I just got cable tools as a free gift when I ordered some needles, I took it as a sign that I needed to learn.
Finish two of the blankets I have in progress and work on booties for a friend's baby due in May.
Softies: try a couple I'm thinking they aren't as hard as they look
:knitting: Crossed Fingers

crazykntter83
01-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Cables: I just got cable tools as a free gift when I ordered some needles, I took it as a sign that I needed to learn.
Finish two of the blankets I have in progress and work on booties for a friend's baby due in May.
Softies: try a couple I'm thinking they aren't as hard as they look
:knitting: Crossed Fingers
If you have them, you might find that dpns work as a better cable needle. I recently started working on cables for the first time, and I found that I really didn't like the cable needle. I find that a dpn a few sizes smaller than my knitting needle works a lot better for me. Either way it goes, good luck!! :)

rachejm
01-05-2011, 12:58 PM
1. Use up some stash yarn - its getting a little unmanageable and I want to tackle it before it gets any worse!
2. Finish my long neglected Log Cabin blanket.
3. Knit a sweater number 2 - I did one a couple of years ago, recently found a couple of patterns that I love!
4. Knit some Christmas gifts - didn't have time to do any this year so I thought I'd get an early start!

Mokumegane
01-05-2011, 01:04 PM
If you have them, you might find that dpns work as a better cable needle. I recently started working on cables for the first time, and I found that I really didn't like the cable needle. I find that a dpn a few sizes smaller than my knitting needle works a lot better for me. Either way it goes, good luck!! :)

I find that I like the cable needles that are more like a safety pin- lock into place and there's NO way it'll come out. However, I take knitting everywhere and all, so there's always a chance during travel that the stuff will work its way out. As for doing a cable pattern- bite the bullet because you know you'll love it! It's not that hard to do... the worst stuff is when you get a complicated pattern. Those look nice but aren't the best first project. Just a simple six stitch cable or something would suffice, really, to get going...

The.Knitter
01-05-2011, 01:19 PM
I want to get my mojo back! I NEED to get my mojo back!

I've found a knitting group and I believe next week is the first meeting of the year. Perhaps this will help me get my mojo back!

crazykntter83
01-05-2011, 01:25 PM
I find that I like the cable needles that are more like a safety pin- lock into place and there's NO way it'll come out. However, I take knitting everywhere and all, so there's always a chance during travel that the stuff will work its way out. As for doing a cable pattern- bite the bullet because you know you'll love it! It's not that hard to do... the worst stuff is when you get a complicated pattern. Those look nice but aren't the best first project. Just a simple six stitch cable or something would suffice, really, to get going...
Yeah, that probably would be best for a traveling knitter. I mainly just stay at home with my knitting, and sometimes go to my gf's mom's house, but I just sit on the couch and knit lol.

thisisme7899
01-05-2011, 03:09 PM
I am making dishclothes for EVERYONE in my family! I want to be able to give back to all of the family members that have bought me things and givin me things for the last... 15 years of my life!
I am also going to try to learn how to do this pattern in the book "toys to crochet". It is a cow, and a horse. What I'm trying to figure out is how to "chain 5sc into 2nd chain from hook" Any help?

crazykntter83
01-05-2011, 03:11 PM
I am making dishclothes for EVERYONE in my family! I want to be able to give back to all of the family members that have bought me things and givin me things for the last... 15 years of my life!
I am also going to try to learn how to do this pattern in the book "toys to crochet". It is a cow, and a horse. What I'm trying to figure out is how to "chain 5sc into 2nd chain from hook" Any help?
That's crochet. You'll need a crochet hook and some yarn. You're going to make 5 chains(ch), and make a single crochet(sc) in the the second chain from your hook. Hope that helped some. :)

Raven Fyre
01-05-2011, 04:18 PM
I want to finish all everything on the needles, which is todate, garter stitch slippers, a bouncle hat which might become a buncle sweater, a dishcloth patterned blanket, and finish a set of fingerless gloves.

I'd love to learn to crochet this year or even how to do socks which sound like the hardest thing in the world to do or to cable knit.

However with two kids under the age of 3 it might be hard enough just to finish everything lol.

I'm also hoping to knit all of my xmas gifts again which will probably be more dish cloths (I think) scarves and fingerless gloves or just plan xmas gifts.

MoniDew
01-05-2011, 04:19 PM
resolutions:
I'm taking a break until next christmas on grandkids sweaters. if you saw my christmas post on this topic, you know why. LOL!

I'm going to focus on lace & socks for a while. Those are the things *I* enjoy! :D

As far as the rest of my life is concerned: yoga & running, eating health(er), gardening, painting, enjoying life!

shaunak93
01-06-2011, 01:42 AM
To not be afraid when I look at a pattern that has more to it than knitting and purling and actually try it! Be fearless! I need to do this in many other areas in life too actually :)

HSRCampbell
01-06-2011, 07:27 PM
1. Not buy any yarn except for a specific purpose
2. Learn to use DPNs and circular needles, projects enumerated below
2a. Learn socks
2b. Learn mittens (I like the Bella mittens even though I don't care for the books or movies)
2c. Learn gloves? Optional
3. Finish the Palindrome scarf for Joseph by his birthday (Started today!) Speaking of which, how do you count rows if you lose track?
4. Make something for myself (mittens? wrist warmers?)
5. Make something with two colors (even if it's just stripes)
Edited to add:
6. Make something for charity.

crazykntter83
01-06-2011, 11:18 PM
3. Finish the Palindrome scarf for Joseph by his birthday (Started today!) Speaking of which, how do you count rows if you lose track?

I always just get some kinda piece of paper(just some scrap will do really), and make marks on it after each row to keep track. It works great for me, bc I lose track easily. Hope this helps. :)

Mokumegane
01-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Lol, I'm horrible about being orderly about counting rows but I usually remember where I am. If I think I won't remember, I put a tick mark next to the line in the pattern that I'm going to start next, with a pen or pencil. I don't like to carry too much stuff with me, really... anywhere I can get rid of something, I will lol. That's probably why my purses I buy/use are never that big...

Shandeh
01-06-2011, 11:45 PM
:: raises hand :: I'll knit for you!
:muah:

I think the heel and the gusset take the most concentration. I usually tie myself to my knitting chair until those parts are finished. :teehee:

1. Use up some stash yarn - its getting a little unmanageable and I want to tackle it before it gets any worse!
Gosh, I know what you mean! My stash is INSANE! :shock:

I want to get my mojo back! I NEED to get my mojo back!
Christine, just pick a simple project that you REALLY want, and use your favorite color yarn, with your favorite needles. Your heart will be happy. :heart:

I want to finish all everything on the needles
I have the same resolution! :thumbsup:

I'm taking a break until next christmas on grandkids sweaters. if you saw my christmas post on this topic, you know why. LOL!
I SAW those sweaters. A LOT of work for you! :thud:

To not be afraid when I look at a pattern that has more to it than knitting and purling and actually try it! Be fearless! I need to do this in many other areas in life too actually :)
Love it!

1. Not buy any yarn except for a specific purpose
You're kidding, right? :out:

Mokumegane
01-06-2011, 11:49 PM
(snip)

You're kidding, right? :out:

I know what you mean! I mean... NEVER buy yarn unless I have a project lined up?? But... but... that wool over there is just calling my name... I swear I'll find a project! I'd so break that resolution on day one and never look back...

Shandeh
01-06-2011, 11:55 PM
I know what you mean! I mean... NEVER buy yarn unless I have a project lined up?? But... but... that wool over there is just calling my name... I swear I'll find a project! I'd so break that resolution on day one and never look back...
Exactly! And when I see a nice set of yarn on sale, all the same dye lot, I just HAVE to buy it! It just breaks my heart to think it would be broken apart! :pout:

Mokumegane
01-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Lol, that's funny... buy the whole lot. If I had the money, I'd probably do that, actually... without knowing it! Speaking of... the other day, my mom bought Lionbrand fun fur at Walmart and didn't check the skeins for dye lot. Well, she found out they were two different dye lots and went back. When she got there to exchange to get the same dye lot, they had about five different dye lots there, no two were the same and none were the same dye lot of the two she got... makes you want to rofl but I know it's aggravating, too. She just used them anyway... made a scarf for my brother's wife. I know she won't care too much and the color change isn't huge... one's a little lighter.

luvmykid28
01-08-2011, 02:10 PM
:p I want to resolve to:
- knit something other than scarves and socks, afghans and hats...maybe a sweater? gadzooks, no courage for this, would need a class, or a ....what are those people called who coach you? ...oh yes, a "coach", hehe.
-

Here is a simple sweater that on requires a small amout of sewing. It's made in 2 pieces with chunky yarn and size 13 needles. I am about 75% finished with mine and I have only been working on it since New Years Eve. When I first looked at it I couldn't get my mind around how it would work, but when I got started I began to see the simplicity of it. I expect to have it finished this weekend or early next week. The pattern is free from Interweave.
Here's the Rav link:http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/side-way-ribs-cardigan
This is the Interweave link for the booklet of 7 free cardigan sweater patterns (It's called the Side-Ways-Ribs Cardigan:
http://www.knittingdaily.com/7-Free-Cardigan-Knitting-Patterns/

HSRCampbell
01-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Shanendeh: Broke. Thoroughly broke. And I was given a big bag of yarn for Christmas. I have enough to fix me for 6 or 8 months, notwithstanding a specific project (such as the cardigan I'm about to talk about).

Woodi: You can do it! You just have to be brave. The worst that can happen is that you have to start over, right? I mean, tentacled sweater-monsters won't attack you in your sleep. (yes, I have issues)

Luvmykid: Thanks for the link, I love the sweaters in there, but they're all for women.

My dad has been complaining that he can't find a cardigan anymore, only pullovers and zip-up sweaters. Have you seen any patterns for masculine cardigans? (Preferably with buttons, a V-neck, and I'm adventurous when it comes to difficulty, but simple is good and NO BOBBLES)

RuthieinMaryland
01-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Hi, Sandy! :waving:

Thanks for posting this wonderful site! I've already printed out a pattern and am collecting up my acrylic yarns to rock out on these baby caps!

This is such an awesome way to use our knitting art to contribute to saving these precious little lives!

Again, here's the link if anyone wants to check it out! Please do....!

http://www.goodgoes.org/caps?msource=ncassgge1110#&slider1=1

Happy knitting,

Ruthie :hug:

RosesAreRed
01-08-2011, 03:19 PM
1) complete a cardigan
2) buy more yarn (or course)
3) use up some of my stash
4) knit more socks
5) Knit a pair of mittens
6) try new yarns
7) finish that darn Aeolian shawl
8) Attend a fiber festival
9) try 2 at a time socks
10) learn colorwork

I am terrible at keeping resolutions of any kind, so maybe if I post it here I can stay motivated. :)

luvmykid28
01-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Luvmykid: Thanks for the link, I love the sweaters in there, but they're all for women.

My dad has been complaining that he can't find a cardigan anymore, only pullovers and zip-up sweaters. Have you seen any patterns for masculine cardigans? (Preferably with buttons, a V-neck, and I'm adventurous when it comes to difficulty, but simple is good and NO BOBBLES)

Sorry bout that. Try this cardigan. It looks pretty simple and it's knit seamless. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/vermouth-english

If you are looking for patterns Lion Brand might have some men's cardigans. You will need to log in to see patterns, but it is free and a good source.

Shandeh
01-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Well, there are lots of options for men's sweaters now. Not as many a few years ago. I think the knitting designers and publishers are finally stepping it up a notch for the guys. :thumbsup: I'm very glad to hear it, because I knit for my hubby, my dad, my step-dad, my 4 sons, etc.

Men's knitting patterns can be found in Interweave Knits (http://www.interweaveknits.com/) magazine every month.

Here are male cardigans (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#fit=male&view=captioned_thumbs&sort=popularity&pc=cardigan) on Ravelry. (some are for babies or children, so just weed through the list)

Men's Patterns (http://knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/mens_clothing.php) on Knitting Pattern Central

Free Patterns for Vintage Men's Sweaters (http://www.freevintageknitting.com/knitting-pattern/mens-sweater-patterns)

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting this wonderful site! I've already printed out a pattern and am collecting up my acrylic yarns to rock out on these baby caps!
I LOVE knitting for charity! So satisfying! cloud9

offgridgirl
01-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Wow!! Good vibrations go out to all who are finishing projects!!

I want to organize my stash so that I can get it down from four bags to one!! I only have one project on my needles so I will finish that for sure and then I will be doing some of those one skein wonders!

I love the idea of knitting caps for newborns:cheering: I will get some done and send them off. I will also try to get the local school involved in a project for them.:muah:

Tamar Dohel
01-15-2011, 10:02 AM
OK, I've got some too:
knit using old plastic carrier bags. See these:

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=38660&start=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o4jIUcSo8g

http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=knitting%20from%20plastic%20bags&hl=en&rlz=1I7ADSA_en&prmd=ivns&resnum=2&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=vi

http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&hl=en&rlz=1I7ADSA_en&tbs=isch:1&&sa=X&ei=AagxTcyaCsK1tAa7kNWMCg&ved=0CDAQvwUoAQ&q=sandals+from+plastic+bags&spell=1

Recycling is now very fashionable.

Tamar

Arielluria
01-15-2011, 12:51 PM
My main resolution (I started a thread here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1311113)) is buying absolutely NO yarn this year. (Gift yarn is unavoidable :teehee:).

Otherwise, I'd like:

to make my first wearable crochet item
to make something small in entrelac just to try it
write a few more patterns which are rattling around in my head
make a stranded beret
make stranded fingerless gloves (Endpaper Mitts)

Michaele
01-21-2011, 11:09 AM
:p

Here is a simple sweater that on requires a small amout of sewing. It's made in 2 pieces with chunky yarn and size 13 needles. I am about 75% finished with mine and I have only been working on it since New Years Eve. When I first looked at it I couldn't get my mind around how it would work, but when I got started I began to see the simplicity of it. I expect to have it finished this weekend or early next week. The pattern is free from Interweave.
Here's the Rav link:http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/side-way-ribs-cardigan
This is the Interweave link for the booklet of 7 free cardigan sweater patterns (It's called the Side-Ways-Ribs Cardigan:
http://www.knittingdaily.com/7-Free-Cardigan-Knitting-Patterns/

Thanks for the link! I've been looking to make a cardi or sweater for a while now, and I think I might put one of these on my resolution list.

1. The CRAZY CARDIGAN
2. A sweater or cardigan
3. Something cute for every major holiday.
4. Get a Craft organization started at my university. Kennesaw Gets Crafty? KGC?

ArtLady1981
01-21-2011, 12:54 PM
My 2011 Knitting Resolution:

Relax and enjoy the journey, not allowing myself to stress over goals and production.

Breezed
07-21-2011, 03:53 PM
So, I couldn't remember my knitting resolutions, so I searched for the thread. Now I'm wondering, what knitting resolutions have you completed? Given up on? In progress?

Mine were
1. cable sampler scarf
2. lace sampler scarf/stole
3. master socks (failed first attempt and haven't tried again)

I successfully knitted a sock; yes a single sock. I think I did very well, but haven't got around to making the matching sock. So I would say I haven't "really" completed #3 but at least I started. As for the others, I still plan on it, but I've been busy with baby blankets for co-workers. And I don't want to try a new technique on them.

Shandeh
07-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Great idea, Breezed! :thumbsup:
We've made it through half of the year, so this is a good checkpoint for the resolutions on our list.

I didn't make any specific resolutions, but here are the two things I mentioned in this discussion:
1. Finish projects that are already on the needles
2. Knit a big comfy sweater to wear around the house

I've gotten a lot of work done on #1. I frogged about 4 projects that sat around for about 3 years. :teehee: And I finished up 7 projects that were laying around. So, I feel good about that one.

I haven't done #2 yet, but the year isn't over! :wink:

Breezed
07-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Wow Shandeh, sounds like you really did some work there on cleaning up old projects. Good job!

Shandeh
07-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks! cloud9

Shandeh
07-21-2011, 11:38 PM
I successfully knitted a sock; yes a single sock. I think I did very well, but haven't got around to making the matching sock. So I would say I haven't "really" completed #3 but at least I started.
I would say that you have mastered the basics of knitting a sock! And that's nothing to sneeze at. :thumbsup:

crazykntter83
07-22-2011, 12:06 AM
Out of my knitting resolutions so far this year, I've learned how to make socks. The scarf is....somewhere lol. I moved back to GA from OK a few months ago, so it's packed away for now. I still want to learn to do gloves. I might attempt a pair sometime. :) Actually, I'm going to make my brother a pair of fingerless gloves for Christmas, so maybe that'll be practice for actual gloves. :) I haven't learned insertia yet, but I am determined to do that that sometime soon.

Shandeh
07-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Go Jen! :thumbsup:
Welcome back to the Southeast. :hug:

crazykntter83
07-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Thank you Sandy!! :) I'm glad to be back here!! :)

Breezed
07-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Good job Jen. At least you made a complete pair of socks! I think you'll do gloves just fine. Intarsia frightens me. I don't think I'm ready for that. I guess I can't say I didn't complete cables either. I have practiced making them, and understand it perfectly; I just haven't made a project with cables yet. Also, I'm not sure if my wristbands count, but those are almost lace like. Maybe I'm doing better than I originally thought.

Shandeh
07-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Give intarsia a try, Breezed! Start out with a simple item. Like a cup cozy, with a heart design. It's not hard at all.

When you try the more complicated ones, here's a tip: If the ends start to get too tangled, just cut a few of the worst ones, leaving enough yarn to weave in the ends later. Then, when it's time to use that color again, just add a new strand. That has helped me a lot when knitting Christmas stockings.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2532/4142281647_89f56ffe8a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59646927@N00/4142281647/)
Stocking Back - Lots of Yarns (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59646927@N00/4142281647/) by Shandeh (http://www.flickr.com/people/59646927@N00/), on Flickr

Breezed
07-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the tips Shandeh. I will definitely try it at some point, maybe sooner now.

crazykntter83
07-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Good job Jen. At least you made a complete pair of socks! I think you'll do gloves just fine. Intarsia frightens me. I don't think I'm ready for that. I guess I can't say I didn't complete cables either. I have practiced making them, and understand it perfectly; I just haven't made a project with cables yet. Also, I'm not sure if my wristbands count, but those are almost lace like. Maybe I'm doing better than I originally thought.
lol oh no. I made ONE sock. I have the other one on needles in my knitting room. I will complete it one day. But right now I'm working on Christmas socks for my Mom along with a bunch of other stuff lol. Sorry if I miss-typed!!

Breezed
07-22-2011, 12:54 PM
lol oh no. I made ONE sock. I have the other one on needles in my knitting room. I will complete it one day. But right now I'm working on Christmas socks for my Mom along with a bunch of other stuff lol. Sorry if I miss-typed!!

:rofl: Me too!!!! My bf keeps asking when I'll wear my new sock, mind you he's taking a jab at me by using the singular tense. He can't believe I won't make the next one right now.

crazykntter83
07-22-2011, 01:07 PM
lol that's too funny. I went around wearing my one sock for a few hours after I had it done, bc I was just so proud of myself. It had always been one of my really big goals to learn to make socks, so I was so proud of myself for finally being able to do it. :)

Shandeh
07-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Gosh, I remember the first time I knit a sock. Was SO excited!! OMG! I could not BELIEVE that I was able to knit the shape of a HEEL! :cheering:

Now, you just need to get past the "SSS" (Second Sock Syndrome). Just cast it on, and get past the first few rows to get it going. That will light the fire in your fingers again. :thumbsup:

ShanaHoo
07-27-2011, 05:57 PM
I don't think I ever posted my resolutions, but they were/are:

1. No buying yarn to start new projects until I finish/start the projects I've already purchased for (aka Chrismas 2010 projects that didn't get finished by Christmas 2010).

2. Knit a sweater (for The Boyfriend, because I've never knit him anything, and he has worn the same sweater to Christmas dinner for the last three years).

I think my cause was lost from the begining because my resolutions are in conflict-- I did not buy yarn to make a sweater before the beginning of the year.

I was doing really well until April (deciding to buy a house this fall and resolving to save save save until then really helped).... and then everyone went and got knocked up. My stash could not spit out three baby blankets.

So, I've got about 5 months to: finish the last (please let it be the last!) baby blanket, 2 full size afghans (one started, one not), two hat/scarf sets, my still unplanned cotton project for my mom that I'm supposed to be working on for the Summer KAL, AND knit Billy's sweater by Christmas.

...You know how some people take a year off from their lives and backpack through Europe, or go build schools in a developing country. I kind of want to do that ...but instead of backpacking or building schools, I want to take a year off from work and sit in my craft room and knit. Twenty-four is almost retirement age, right?

Breezed
07-27-2011, 09:00 PM
lol @ Shanahoo - omg I hope it's not 24!!!! I'm 12 years late retiring. No one told ME! :)

Mazie
08-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Father's Day Cardigan from lion brand, I love the look of this sweater.

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L0144AD.html?noImages=&service=801&letterId=55566

Breezed
08-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Father's Day Cardigan from lion brand, I love the look of this sweater.

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L0144AD.html?noImages=&service=801&letterId=55566

That's a nice looking sweater!