PDA

View Full Version : Knitting-Related Christmas Gift

NorthernIrelandKnitter
01-03-2011, 07:26 AM
My daughter gave me a sock knitting kit - a skein of sock yarn, needles and a booklet of patterns.

This gift is a challenge to me - not being a sock knitter - which I will get around to facing sometime in the not too distant future.

Did anyone else get knitting-related gifts?

Gillian

Shandeh
01-03-2011, 07:35 AM
There is a great free tutorial online, that shows how to knit socks. It was posted by Silver (a former moderator of our KH Forum).
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/
Just scroll down that page, and you'll see the different sock classes she made. They're wonderful - they helped me a lot when I was learning to knit socks. Now, I've knit over 30 pairs of socks, and loved knitting all of them.

monaliza2
01-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Hi,
Try this video.Hope it'll be helpful

How to Knit Socks (http://www.askthecrafter.com/videos/1000/Knitting-Crafts:-How-to-Knit-Socks:-Picking-Up-and-Knitting-the-Gussets)

NorthernIrelandKnitter
01-09-2011, 05:32 AM
Thank you both. I'll refer to those if I run into any problems. I haven't actually started yet.

I was just wondering if anyone else had received knitting-related gifts, such as a kit, like me, some nice yarn, a book maybe?

Gillian

crazykntter83
01-09-2011, 11:39 AM
I didn't this year, but then I started knitting again after Christmas. I do however, already have a few things in mind for Christmas this year lol.

Doublereeder2
01-09-2011, 12:20 PM
My daughter gave me a sock knitting kit - a skein of sock yarn, needles and a booklet of patterns.

This gift is a challenge to me - not being a sock knitter - which I will get around to facing sometime in the not too distant future.

Did anyone else get knitting-related gifts?

Gillian

My husband gave me two fun books:
"It Itches" and the Yarn harlot's "Things I Learned From Knitting..."

Jannette
01-09-2011, 06:30 PM
I got "It Iches" and just love it!

Shandeh
01-09-2011, 06:33 PM
My hubby gave me a $50 gift card to AC Moore, so I could buy what I want. I got 10 skeins of Vanna "Glamour" yarn, in a lovely dark blue color. I've been eyeing that yarn for a long time. Now, I'll be able to make something decent with it. :)
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5129/5324326714_e5fc2c1eb1.jpg
I also got 4 skeins of Patons Shetland Chunky Tweed in a pretty brown color. That will be a hat and scarf set. Maybe mittens too! :thumbsup:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5249/5323719797_4affee790c.jpg

Mokumegane
01-10-2011, 11:41 AM
I got two skeins of wool. I probably would have gotten more but they also sent me jump-rings from theringlord. :woohoo: Yay, maille and knits- let's go!!

NorthernIrelandKnitter
01-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Maybe I'll put those on my birthday wish list!

Gillian

NorthernIrelandKnitter
01-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Sounds like a good recommendation!

Gillian

NorthernIrelandKnitter
01-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Good for your husband! Did he know to get you the gift card or did you have to drop massive hints? The yarn looks lovely. What is it like to knit with?

Gillian

NorthernIrelandKnitter
01-15-2011, 09:41 AM
What are jump-rings? Also, maille?

Gillian

Woodi
01-15-2011, 02:54 PM
I got the yarn harlot's (Stephanie Pearl McPhee) book: "Knitting Rules". Read it all quite quickly, laughed out loud several times. It has a sock pattern in it I'm trying out now.

I followed Silver's sock tutorial a few years ago, and learned to make my first socks. Got so excited about my success that I knit 6 pairs before I knew it! I found it very easy to follow.

Shandeh
01-18-2011, 04:51 AM
Good for your husband! Did he know to get you the gift card or did you have to drop massive hints? The yarn looks lovely. What is it like to knit with? Gillian
My husband knows how much knitting means to me. And he knows that AC Moore is my favorite craft shop. So, it was easy for him to choose a gift card for me. :thumbsup:

The Patons Shetland Chunky yarn knits beautifully, and I love the way it feels in my hands. I haven't tried the Vanna Glamour yarn yet.

psquidy
01-19-2011, 05:21 PM
16 new skeins of wool and a set of AUDI TURBO CLICKS!!!!

Antares
01-19-2011, 06:14 PM
I didn't get anything for Christmas--but it wasn't because I've been naughty.

My husband and I decided last Christmas that we didn't need ANYTHING and, besides, we don't have room for it. That same thinking was in full force this year, so I told loved ones not to buy us any gifts. Besides, I have plenty of yarn in my stash and more free patterns than I could ever hope to use!

JudyD
01-19-2011, 06:38 PM
What are jump-rings? Also, maille?

Gillian

In knitting "maille" is a French word for "stitch".

Judy

Michaele
01-19-2011, 07:47 PM
My bestfriend made me a knitting caddy.