PDA

View Full Version : Picking up stitches

AnnieF
01-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi, I need help to pick up stitches where the pattern is asking for double the amount cast off.

The part of the jacket I am knitting is the hood with 25 stitches cast off each side of the crown section, which wilkl form the border. Now I need to pick up [B]51[B] stitches over the 25 cast off on each side, so from initial 75 worked stitches I will end up with 134 overall for ribbed border.

How on earth can I pick up so many over such a few - my only thought is to 'make' a stitch in each one picked up!!

Anyone know a better way?? :)

suzeeq
01-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Yes, you can pick up a stitch, then m1 with a backward loop, or you can pick up a stitch in each of the 2 strands at the edge of each stitch.

Mokumegane
01-05-2011, 10:19 AM
The most important thing is to evenly increase if you make stitches. Say you need 52 stitches and can only get 26. You would pick up a stitch then make one, then pick up then make one. If this is split to two sides, you want to increase evenly on each side. If you make a stitch on the left, you make one on the right. Now, if it ends up coming out one stitch odd, just choose a side to put it and stick it on the end. One stitch more on one side won't make a really big difference, as long as it fits with the pattern. So, make sure it's even and make sure it fits the pattern (same number of stitches, etc.).