PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Art....

TEMA
01-03-2011, 03:10 PM
For a long time I've been a fabric artist, making pieces for the wall out of tiny little pieces of fabric.
These days, I'm 'just' knitting because it feels good. I've been sick for a long time and my creative juices have all but dried up so knitting socks, hats and fingerless gloves seemed the best thing to do.
Now, however, I'm thinking of combining my love of patchwork and applique to the knitted stitch.
To that end, and because I've been wondering if anything like this has been tried yet, I went to the Internet to look up "knitting art".
What a surprise! There are a million or so pages of knitting art and I've been spending a lot of time just looking without any hope of seeing it all.
So here I am... I've knitted a piece of yarn fabric and now I'm embellishing it with crocheted embroidery stitches, etc .... hopefully, some words will appear....
Besides that I'm wondering what Knitting Art has been, or is being done here... would love to see any of that kind of work... maybe I can get some more ideas...
In any case, it's all new to me... :)
TEMA :knitting: :knitting:

Woodi
01-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Could you post any pics of your artwork? I'd love to see it.

TEMA
01-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Could you post any pics of your artwork? I'd love to see it.
I'm on Flickr....
www.flickr.com/photos/tema360/

Thanks,
TEMA
hmmmm.... I just realized I only have one fabric piece on there... it's the last one.

RuthieinMaryland
01-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Hi, Tema! :waving:

Your work is quite wonderful! I love to see how you're exploring in different directions with different media; that always expands the creative eye, doesn't it? :)

I've been a professional artist for a long time now and I can definitely relate to how creativity can get kind of squashed when you have sickness. My best advice is to create your way out of that pit. The more you turn your thoughts to creating something wonderful the less of a toll sickness will take on you.

Working with knitting to create collages, plus other pieces as the inspiration strikes you sounds fascinating!

Please keep us all in the loop on what you come up with! I, for one, can't wait to see what you do!

Best of luck,

Ruthie :hug:

Breezed
01-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Very cool Tema! I am not very creative on my own so this is very interesting to see. I admire artists very much.

Mokumegane
01-05-2011, 09:39 AM
You should try different materials... try some felting, etc. With crochet, I've done one of the irish flowers with really thin brass wire and it turned out really three-dimensional. With knitting, I imagine you can just see the stitches more... but you could probably do something like an I-cord and twist it or something.... bend it into a flower shape. I also knit strips of tulle. That stuff is so scratchy but you knit up small squares and you have a cheap dish scrubber! Different yarns, felting, etc. can give you different textures. Also, there's yarns that knit up stripey or whatever due to their coloring. You could easily do patchwork with knitting, really!