PDA

View Full Version : Circular knitting woes

teresab
01-04-2011, 10:12 AM
How can I keep stitches from twisting? Pattern calls for 240 sts on 24 in circular needle but they keep twisting. Could I use a little longer needle to start with and then transfer over to the 24 inch?
:woot: Thanks, TeresaB

suzeeq
01-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Are you supposed to join for knitting in the round or just knit flat? A large amount of sts are going to twist around a circular, they just do. You don't have to use the 24", if you want to, cast on and knit a few rows/rounds with a 32 or 36" if that's easier for you. Later if you decrease the sts you can use the 24", but it may not really be necessary.

teresab
01-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Yes, the knitting is to be joined. I'll try using a longer needle; that makes sense. Thanks, Teresa

Are you supposed to join for knitting in the round or just knit flat? A large amount of sts are going to twist around a circular, they just do. You don't have to use the 24", if you want to, cast on and knit a few rows/rounds with a 32 or 36" if that's easier for you. Later if you decrease the sts you can use the 24", but it may not really be necessary.

Jeremy
01-05-2011, 12:01 PM
When I join to start circular knitting, especially for socks on dpn's, I lay a pillow in my lap and then lay all the needles and stitches flat on the pillow. THEN, I pick them up and I know they are not twisted.

Jan in CA
01-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Twisting and spinning around the cable is very normal when you have cast on a lot of stitches. It takes several inches before it stops. To make sure they aren't twisted when you join you could knit a couple rows flat and then join. Then you just seam up that little edge with the tail or another yarn when you're done.