PDA

View Full Version : Morning Knitting Ritual

crazykntter83
01-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Hey guys. I was just wondering if anyone else had a morning knitting ritual. First I take my dogs out then let my cats out of their den. First I feed the cats(we feed them in the bathroom so they don't get into the dog food and vice versa). Next, I like to get my coffee started and then get my coffee, and have a few sips of it to get my brain functioning, and just knit and drink coffee for a couple hours. Does anybody else have something like this that they do in the morning or any time of the day really? I'd love to hear about it!!! :)
:knitting:

Woodi
01-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Nice ritual, Jen!

My morning ritual involves, after a 45-minute meditation 'sit' with hubby (been doing this for years)....

...eating breakfast in front of a full-spectrum light (to avoid the S.A.D. of Canadian winters), followed by a jaunt outdoors filling 9 birdfeeders, a deer bucket, and scattering some seed for doves and turkeys. Dang turkeys are getting messy! It's fun to go out and get a feel for the day, and who is out and about on our property.

then I come in and thaw out with a second cuppa and check emails and online weather, then forums (this one and one soapmaking forum).

After that, I head down to my soaproom/laundry room and get busy making wondrous bars of handmade soap. Sometimes I actually do laundry too! :aww:

I don't have a regular knitting time, but do keep a project on the go, next to my favorite living room chair. That's where I relax to between household tasks.

Nice thread topic! I hope more come in here and share their rituals.

Jan in CA
01-04-2011, 01:41 PM
I get up and feed the dog, take my pills, and make coffee. While the coffee is brewing I open the blinds, and clean up in the kitchen if it needs. Then I take my coffee and sit at the computer for a an hour or so checking the forum, facebook, read the news, etc. Then I get my breakfast (oatmeal and juice) and sit at the computer for a little longer if I want. Then it's time to clean myself up and do whatever else needs to be done.. laundry, etc.:thumbsup:

crazykntter83
01-04-2011, 01:46 PM
it always takes me a while to get up and get moving. Today it's taken me 3 hours. But then I like to let the dogs play for a while and it's nearly impossible to get anything done while they're out, bc they get into everything. I forgot to add, while I'm waiting for my coffee to be made, I like to sit here and read through the forums. Then usually when my fingers or wrists get sore while I'm knitting, I'll come in here and read and post. This forum is as addictive as knitting itself lol.

cftwo
01-04-2011, 01:50 PM
I take about an hour between breakfast and leaving for work to listen to NPR and either cross-stitch or knit. It's a ritual that really helps me focus/ground myself each day. I tend to get sidetracked from this ritual when I'm off work, and find it's one of the perks of going back to work after a holiday.

crazykntter83
01-04-2011, 01:57 PM
I know what you mean. Knitting helps me to take my mind off of things for a while. And it actually helps me to remain calmer throughout my day. I love it! :)

RuthieinMaryland
01-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Hi! :waving:

My morning ritual consists of groping my way to the coffee pot and pushing the button (which can be very difficult for someone still half asleep!), hanging my head over the steam to unstick my eyelids and then FINALLY pouring that first life-giving cup! Yes!

Then I wander to the sofa and curl up with whatever current knitting project I've got going, flip on the TV and catch up on any shows I regularly watch and have pre-recorded (like NCIS, Bones, various Food Network or Cooking Channel shows, etc.). One more cup of coffee (OK, maybe 2!) and I'm at least functional.

My husband sleeps later than I do since he's awake a lot during the night with arthritis pain, so I have a couple of hours before he's up and about looking for breakfast!

Throughout the day I try to grab some time to work on my knitting and I usually get a fair amount done. I've always found that I can tackle the biggest projects even if I only have 10 or 15 minutes at a time to work on them. Leaving things set up so that you can just pick them up when you have a few moments free goes a long way toward getting them done!

I love reading about all the rituals and routines other knitters have. Keep them coming, please!

Happy Knitting New Year!

Ruthie :clink:

kmaclean
01-04-2011, 05:30 PM
I envy all of your morning rituals! With a job that starts at 8am and a minimum 1hr commute to work, I'm lucky to get myself up and to work on time let alone fitting in some morning knitting! :pout:

I do usually make some time to take a break and do a bit of knitting at lunch though ....

bambi
01-04-2011, 09:01 PM
My morning ritual involves drinking about a liter of black tea and getting my daughter out the door to school.

My knitting ritual is usually at night after my daughter and husband are both tucked in for the night. Sometimes I just browse patterns or yarns and sometimes I actually KNIT! :teehee:

Raven Fyre
01-04-2011, 11:40 PM
How I envy everyone that wakes up and has a moment and doesn't hit the ground running as it were.

crazykntter83
01-04-2011, 11:41 PM
The only reason that I have a moment to knit is bc I don't have a job right now, unfortunately. I am very grateful to have the time to knit, though.

Mokumegane
01-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Man, I wish my ritual wasn't a ritual... I spend the first 45 minutes of my day yelling at my daughter to get up and dressed for school (if you let her, she'll easily sleep twelve hours straight) because... I found out that the calmer way doesn't budge her... ugh! Then, I freeze my butt off outside with her waiting for the bus. If I'm feeling good enough, I knit out there. At least I figured it out and know we'll be out there for five minutes or less, though. After that, depending on how hungry I am or if I feel especially dirty, I decide to shower and eat or not, then knitting. If I don't eat or shower straight off, I do it a few hours later. When my arthritis is really bad, I skip the shower, eating and knitting and either type on the computer to help limber my fingers some or lay in bed, moaning in pain... :waah: Ugh, I can't wait for winter and the imbalance in the weather to stop... that's for sure!

TrueIconoclast
01-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Well, I wake up about 3 times to an alarm before I actually get up (I set 3 alarms spaced 30 minutes apart, my medication makes it really hard for me to wake up). If my fiance has brought coffee home (he wakes up long before me), then I chug it right in the bed. If not, I either make tea or gulp soda just to get my body moving. Then, I make myself some coffee to get my mind moving. If I have school that day, chances are I also have some homework to do before I leave for class. If I don't have school/homework, I usually check facebook, the forums, etc, and then either head to school or stay right where I am for a while.

Go on to run any errands that I might have that day, whether it be going shopping or making calls. Then I eat, spend some more time on the internet, and knit from about 5 p.m. - 11:30 p.m.

crazykntter83
01-05-2011, 05:25 PM
You sound like me waking up in the morning. It takes me at least 3 alarms to get up, except there's no medicine involved lol!!

TrueIconoclast
01-05-2011, 06:16 PM
You sound like me waking up in the morning. It takes me at least 3 alarms to get up, except there's no medicine involved lol!!

LOL!!! To be honest, I think I just use the medication as an alibi. I do have to admit, for my entire life I've ALWAYS hated waking up lol

TEMA
01-05-2011, 08:01 PM
I don't think I have a ritual in the morning but I certainly do in the evening. My darling hubby goes to bed between 7:30 and 9:00 o'clock at night and even tho' I've been knitting most of the day (on a good day, that is), I get right into it once he is sound asleep.
The first thing I do is get ready for bed... very important as I won't feel like doing it all later... nighty on, face washed, teeth brushed and flossed...
Then I find something on t.v. that I like the look of... something from the history channel is good. Then I make sure I have two glasses of cold water on the little table by my recliner, toss the working yarn ball into the largish bowl on the floor so the yarn will ravel properly and smoothly off the ball. My quilt is nearby incase I get cold and then I'm in my recliner, needles in hand and knitting to my heart's content until I can't keep my eyes open any longer.
Then, all I have to do is put the knitting down on top of the yarn in the bowl, turn off the lights and go to bed.
I'm lucky if I make it there and one piece... thank goodness, I'm all ready! :)
TEMA :knitting:

OTN: Easy top-down pull-over..
And, for later... a long braid from my little Knitting Nancy to make art out of when the chance hits...

Daylilydayzed
01-05-2011, 08:08 PM
My morning ritual is this:
Get up at 6:00 am, get dressed
6:10 get my medicine, get my cereal ready.
By 6:15, I am con computer reading emails while I take meds and eat my breakfast.
By 6:40 I fix the bag I take out side with me, 6:45 brushing my teeth and finish getting my uniform ready to walk out door : getting vest and hat and jacket if needed. 6 :55 AM I am out side at my crossing guard duty station, I am out there till 8:15 am. After that I am free to knit or do any thing I choose, until 2 pm. Then I repeat getting ready to be out on my crossing by 2:25 pm

luvmykid28
01-07-2011, 12:20 AM
My knitting ritual starts at 2:15 every afternoon during the school year. I go to pick up my DD and get there about 30 minutes early so I can get a good spot in the pick up line. I pull out my needles, find a knitting podcast on my iphone and start knitting while I listen.

I don't really get to knit again until after 9:00 when DD goes to bed. Then I knit until about 11 or 12:00 (sometimes 1am) until DH says we should really go to bed. I reluctantly get up from my spot, check Facebook and KH one last time, then get ready for bed. Some nights I get to knti while we are watching TV as a family.

On the weekends I get a lot of knitting done, cause DH works on his hotrods and DD plays with friends.

I wish I could knit during the day while I having lunch, but I get too wrapped up in my knitting to put it down. So I don't even tempt myself.

buttonbumper
01-07-2011, 11:10 AM
I just started knitting and i love it so I have taken to knitting and drinking my coffee in the morning! usually I get up and make breakfast for my 2 yold and 1 yold then i make some coffee and while they watch cartoons I knit. Knitting is wonderful for watching the girls because I can sit on the couch and I don't have to set up this whole sewing machine and sewing area! Its wonderful!

HSRCampbell
01-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Man, I wish my ritual wasn't a ritual... I spend the first 45 minutes of my day yelling at my daughter to get up and dressed for school (if you let her, she'll easily sleep twelve hours straight) because... I found out that the calmer way doesn't budge her... ugh!
(snip)

Kids generally do need about 12 hours of sleep, only slightly less when they're teenagers, which is why an 8am school makes no sense. It would make more sense to have school start at 10am, and have kids' bedtimes at 9. Don't feel bad about your parenting (or about your DD) if your DD sleeps in, she probably needs it and just doesn't have enough time for it.

Breezed
01-08-2011, 10:19 AM
I don't really have much of a routine. Besides the basic make coffee, take dog out, brush teeth, etc ...that's about as regular as I get. The rest of my day/night is very random. To be honest, I spend more time reading about knitting than actually doing it. I am obsessed with reading KH, Ravelry, and searching for new books and patterns.

crazykntter83
01-08-2011, 04:41 PM
I don't really have much of a routine. Besides the basic make coffee, take dog out, brush teeth, etc ...that's about as regular as I get. The rest of my day/night is very random. To be honest, I spend more time reading about knitting than actually doing it. I am obsessed with reading KH, Ravelry, and searching for new books and patterns.
Oh I know what you mean!!! KH and Ravelry is as addictive as knitting itself!! I usually get on here whenever I need a little rest from knitting, which is usually every half hour to an hour.