PDA

View Full Version : Continental knitter..holding right needle?

melinda9723
01-05-2011, 09:02 AM
I taught myself to crochet and then to knit.I guess that is why I perfer the continental style when knitting. I want to get better at knitting so I decided to pick up my needles again. Have to admit it is not going very well.

I am knitting my second hat and now I remember why I stopped knitting. I spent last nite on you tube looking for another way to hold my right needle as I am knitting and did not find anything that could help me.
The top of my right hand and my 3 fingers hurt from being bent for so long after awhile of knitting. I have to take alot of breaks for this reason and therefore it takes me forever to finish one knitted project be it big or small.
Guess I should also add that I checked out a link that is posted on one of the threads and apparently the way I learned to do the knit stitch is wrong.
I go through the back loop on my left needle,wrap yarn around needle front to back and then I finish the stitch.
I really would like to get better at knitting so all advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

hyperactive
01-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Hi!
Hard question to describe... how does one hold the needle. I do not pay attention to it much - like most people that do not have an issue. Once it becomes an issue... you pay attention.

I hold my needle with my thumb from underneath, and resting on the middle finger, ring finger and pinky from the back.
My index finger lies near the tip from the top. So my needle is mostly "caged" in my hand.
Some needles are awkward no matter how you hold them. Very big and very small needles give people problems (thickness of the needle).
I personally dislike straigth needles because of the ergonomic handling. I knit on Circular needles for pretty much everything - and on shorter double pointed needles for in the round work.

What needles have you been using? And how do you hold your needles? maybe you can take a photo of yourself? (timer?) That might help.

melinda9723
01-05-2011, 10:57 AM
thanks for your reply. I hadn't even thought about the timer setting on my camera! I like to knit with circular needles also because it is much easier for me to handle. I will try to post a pic of how I hold my needle. Thanks for the great idea!

suzeeq
01-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Maybe you're holding the needle too tight? Also, take a break every hour or so, get up a move around and flex out your fingers to stretch them.

trvvn5
01-05-2011, 11:08 AM
This could also be happening because you are relatively new to this and holding your needles too tightly. I know that when I am learning something that I am not used to, I tend to grip my needles harder from the tension of learning somehting new.

I hold my needles the way you would hold a butter knife. Thumb in front. Middle, ring, and pinky in back, index finger on top.

melinda9723
01-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Ok, I am going to try and see if I can post the pics I took. They arent the best but hopefully it will give you a better idea. Thanks again. The pic that gives you a better view exceeded the limit.So I will be back.

melinda9723
01-05-2011, 02:15 PM
It won't let me upload the second picture. It keeps telling me I do not have the privileges.

Jan in CA
01-05-2011, 02:19 PM
It's probably just too large. Did you resize it? From what I see in the picture that you did post your needle hold looks fine. I think it's because as a new knitter you are holding the needles to tight.

melinda9723
01-05-2011, 02:24 PM
dont know how to resize photo. But I did crop it to make it smaller but that didn't work

melinda9723
01-05-2011, 03:04 PM
don't know what I did different but here it is! lol

suzeeq
01-05-2011, 03:38 PM
You might try relaxing the R index finger a little, maybe curl it around the needle, like holding a knife.

melinda9723
01-05-2011, 07:30 PM
thanks for the advice! I will try that now being as though I am getting ready to start another hat.