PDA

View Full Version : Changing colour problem ..

kw899899
01-05-2011, 04:54 PM
HI, im a knitting newbie and have a very frustrating problem. I am knitting a scarf alternating every 6 rows from black to white yarn. I am knitting every stitch. My problem is that every last stitch on the row turns out to be the wrong colour, ie changing from black to white yarn, every stitch is fine even the joining one but the last one will always stay black.

Seeing as i am knitting every stitch how can this be?? I have started a new scarf several times to try and recify but its justnot working and no matter what i try. any body know where i am going wrong??

thanks

Ingrid
01-05-2011, 05:16 PM
It could be that since the last stitch of a row tends to be loose, when you knit the next row the stitch from the previous row gets pulled a bit to tighten up that slack.

I'm not quite sure how to correct it except to try slipping the last stitch of the final row of the stripe so it will be a bit tighter.

kw899899
01-05-2011, 05:31 PM
hi thanks for your reply, if i slip the last stitch tho wont it just start the next one off in the wrong colour? so it will be exactly the same??

Ingrid
01-05-2011, 10:56 PM
What I think is happening is that the stitch from the previous row gets wrapped around the needle and show it's color rather than the new one. If you slip that stitch, it just might be tight enough not to wrap around the needle when you tighten up the first stitch.

For example, if you slip the final black stitch in the final black row, hopefully your first white stitch will shine through.

kw899899
01-06-2011, 04:27 AM
many thanks im gonna try that today..illl keep you posted. how come this doesnt happen to other people?? my stitches are quite tight which is why i cant understand? any thanks again

Mokumegane
01-06-2011, 08:59 AM
The last stitch in a row is typically looser... that happens to everyone, really. Most people compensate and tighten that as they work, do something so it doesn't go too loose, etc.