PDA

View Full Version : Newbie and getting frustrated

JLynn
01-06-2011, 07:47 AM
I have posted once about this pattern that I found for a patchwork afghan http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/proj_kn_0899.htmlhopefully the link works, but any way it calls for working with 2 strands of yarn and working on 13" needles, my 1st ? is can I work this pattern with one strand of yarn and smaller needles and just CO 66 sts instead of 33?

Next ? is working on circular needles do you keep the cord behind the project your working on or in front?

TrikkeAddict
01-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Yes, you can use one strand of yarn and smaller needles. If I were you I would take the yarn and the needles you plan on using and make a small swatch. Then see how many stitches there are in one inch. Decide how many inches you want your final item to be and multiply by the number of stitches in your swatch to get the number of stitches to cast on. I hope you understood that!!!

When I use circular needles the needle part is closest to me and the cord is behind.

Mokumegane
01-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Yeah, you can use different yarn or whatever... just do a gauge swatch and see how far off you are from the pattern. If you knitted half the stitches they say for the gauge swatch, then you need to increase stitches and either use larger needles (a lot) or more rows. If you're bigger, try smaller needles... etc.

suzeeq
01-06-2011, 10:46 AM
This needs an odd number of sts, so 65 or 67 works better with the pattern.

Before you CO though, knit about 20 sts and see how many sts per inch you get. It may be that you really need 49 or 57 sts, not double or it will be too big.

JLynn
01-10-2011, 11:47 PM
TrikkeAddict, If I understand what you are saying I did a swatch it took 5 sts to equal an inch, so if I want my finished block to be 10", take 10 x 5 = 50, or should I make this 51 co.

suzeeq
01-11-2011, 12:13 AM
51 sts will be fine, you need a multiple of 3.