PDA

View Full Version : Hi All. Knitters elbow had me missing for some time.

MsB
01-07-2011, 02:35 PM
I haven't been able to knit for over a year. But I would like to give it another try. I'm looking for a pattern for a headband for a man. Ideally I would like to line it. It would be for my almost 21 year old son. He has super curly hair and can't really wear a hat. But when it is cold out there he would love something to keep his ears warm.

Has anyone seen something out there like I've described?

Thanks in advance.

Jan in CA
01-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Oh no! I hope it doesn't give you any trouble now.

If you're on Ravelry (free) here's a double knit headband.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/simple-double-knit-headband
http://letsknit2gether.com/2010/02/28/lk2g-068-double-knitting/

If you can knit in the round and make a tube you can make it double layered and as long as you need then graft or seam the ends together.

Or cast on like a hat, but make it much shorter. Or make it longer and fold it over and seam for a double layer.

MsB
01-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Jan, thank you so much.

What great links. I showed my son the headband and he liked it, I think I'll give it a try. Keep your fingers crossed that I can knit again. It was a very difficult habit to break :(. But I had tried everything and nothing but stopping the knitting allowed my elbow to heal. To be honest I still have problems with it but not like before.

I use round needles but have never knit in the round. But I'm sure there are lots of great videos here to help.

Thanks again for your help :)

Mokumegane
01-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Yeah, like she said... lots of patterns online or you can do your own. Headbands are basically a few inches wide and go around your head like a hat. You can either knit it in the round and make it mostly seamless or you can knit flat... either way! Also, if you want it to have a backing to make it thicker or warmer, you can try instead to get wool roving and strand that in with your yarn you're knitting with. That will do the job, as well!

TEMA
01-10-2011, 03:05 PM
I made a partial hat... from the brim to the top... just didn't do a top and called it at ponytail hat... my giftee loved it!
I've also used neckwarmers as hats... sort of the same thing...
Nice and easy on circular needles.
TEMA:knitting: