PDA

View Full Version : I Do Not Crochet, But.....

Linda W
01-09-2011, 10:30 AM
I love a poncho that I saw on the TV show Charmed. Can anyone tell me if there is a pattern like it anywhere, or I guess just the pattern for the stitch.

Here is a screenshot.

http://www.fanpop.com/spots/charmed/images/12993433/title/poncho-screencap

Thanks

Antares
01-09-2011, 12:11 PM
This looks like a honeycomb stitch to me.

Here are the directions from one of my stitch guides:

A multiple of 4 stitches + 3 (add 5 for foundation chain).

Row 1: 1 double crochet in 8th chain from hook, *chain 4, skip 3 chains, 1 double crochet in next chain, repeat from * to end, turn.

Row 2: chain 5, 1 double crochet in first chain space, *chain 4, 1 double crochet in next chain space, repeat from * to end, turn.

Repeat row 2.

This is a very simple pattern which only uses two stitches: double crochets (abbreviated as "dc") and chains (abbreviated as "ch). I spelled these out for you in the pattern.

Antares
01-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Here is a link to a shawl made with the honeycomb stitch (but with finer thread than what was used in the one you liked):

http://www.k2tog.com.au/index.php?main_page=document_general_info&cPath=64_41_60&products_id=365

Hope this helps!

suzeeq
01-09-2011, 01:34 PM
You could use large needles and thin yarn, or just huge needles with a medium yarn and work something like -

Row 1 - edge sts, yo, 2tog across the row, edge sts
Row 2 - edge sts, purl across to the edge sts
Row 3 - edge sts, knit across to the edge sts,
Row 4 - same as Row 2.

then repeat the 4 rows. That will give you the large open holes, but with some body between them. Or row 3 could also be the same as row 1. If you want the holes larger, you can YOtwice, k2tog and on the next row, drop the extra loop on the yo twice. Make 2 rectangles and seam together in an L shape or make one long rectangle, fold in half the long way (short ends together) and seam about 12 or 14" from the short edge.

You could also check out poncho patterns on www.knittingpatterncentral.com and www.dailyknitter.com for something that may be similar.

Linda W
01-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the info, I really like the shawl. I would actually wear that more than a poncho.

suzeeq
01-10-2011, 03:49 PM
There are also lots of shawl patterns on the two sites I linked to. Did you want a triangular one, or rectangle?