PDA

View Full Version : Help! New to pattern

mandysilv
01-10-2011, 02:31 AM
Hello!

I'm working on a star baby blanket, and I'm not very familiar with reading patterns. My pattern says:

1st round: 12 hdc in ring. join with sl st to first hdc. 12 dc.

2nd round: Ch 1. 1 sc in same sp as las sl st. *3 dc in in next hdc. 1 sc in next hdc. Rep from * around to last hdc. 3 hdc in last hdc. Join B with sl st to first sc.

I've got the 1st round done, up until it says 12 dc, because round two has me working in the 12 hdc that I did. I'm just a little confused about what I'm supposed to do there, or if I'm supposed to do the 12 dc or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bailey
01-10-2011, 10:53 AM
I think it is just a typo - should read 12 hdc, meaning total for round 1
Or at least this is how I would read it; actually took me a minute to realize it said 12 dc instead of 12 hdc

bailey

MGM
01-10-2011, 03:47 PM
I agree with Bailey. It is just a typo. It should say 12 hdc and it's just saying how many you should have when you finish that round. I like it when patterns tell the total stitch count at the end of a round or row so that you can double check that your work is right before going on.

MGM

mandysilv
01-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Ok Thank you both. I think there might be another one in round 2, where it says to put 3hdc in the last hdc of the previous row. I think it should read 3dc in last hdc. Any thoughts? Thanks again!

MGM
01-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Ok Thank you both. I think there might be another one in round 2, where it says to put 3hdc in the last hdc of the previous row. I think it should read 3dc in last hdc. Any thoughts? Thanks again!

Yep, I would agree that it is another typo. Since the whole of row 2 is hdc, most likely it should end with hdc as well. Good catch!

MGM

Antares
01-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Oyy!

If this pattern already has two typos and you're only on row 4, I suggest trying a few other (well-written) patterns first before finishing this one. That would give you more confidence in your crochet and in your ability to read patterns.

It's just a suggestion, though. Take it or leave it.

mandysilv
01-12-2011, 12:05 AM
I picked this up as a free pattern from the craft store. It said the difficulty was easy so I just assumed it would be, but deciphering it has been a hassle. Lesson learned.