PDA

View Full Version : WIP: baby crazy gramma

ArtLady1981
01-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Well, I'm going baby crazy. I am sweating out my Banana Tree Cardigan set for this weekend...and what do I do? On Saturday I am grocery shopping at Fred Meyer...and pushing that cart down the craft aisle...I spot some Lion HOMETOWN super bulky yarn ON SALE...from $4.59 to $3.19. With so many colors to chose from I could have died. Well...long story short...I had seen a baby log cabin blanket over at Ravelry where the knitter had used Rowan BIG WOOL for a super thick and cushiony baby log cabin blanket. I was NOT going to purchase Rowan BIG WOOL for mine. (too expensive) But the idea planted a seed in my brain that kept growing. An internet search didn't render any good results in finding a nice but inexpensive yarn!

I was so excited by my color palette that I came home and cast on for my baby log cabin that very night! Using a US15 I cast on 15st for the center (Tampa Spice) block. Here (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ArtLady/easy-4-colour-log-cabin-baby-blanket-2) is my Rav folder.

So here is what I've done by this morning. It has about 4-6 more logs to be knitted. Not sure how many...but when I'm done...the plan is that all 4 sides will represent each of the 4 colors. A Grey, a red, a cream, a black.

My intentions for this blanket are for a "floor blanket". You know, a baby must be allowed to lay on the floor so they'll learn how to get up on their hands and knees and eventually crawl. I used to put a blanket down for my babies. Warmer, and cleaner. Sometimes they'd fall asleep on it. And it's nice to have a blanket to put them down when you have to leave the room for a minute, or for times when you're visiting friends homes. I bring my own floor blanket.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5123/5368114870_2119c6054c.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5124/5367508069_457786e3d2.jpg

The center block itself measures 7.5" x 7.5" (15 st wide & 16 garter ridges)

The blanket, as is, measures 34" x 38". So definitely needs more blocks. With super bulky yarn, and US15 needles, the knitting goes super fast!

Yarn: Lion Brand HOMETOWN USA. Very soft and cushy. Washable, cheap!
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5006/5367502407_8100d6505c.jpg

I bought 4 of each color...but I think I'll be able to return 1 of each.

Jan in CA
01-18-2011, 08:09 PM
You bought acrylic?! :lol: I LOVE that blanket! The colors are awesome!!

ArtLady1981
01-18-2011, 09:20 PM
You bought acrylic?! :lol: I LOVE that blanket! The colors are awesome!!

Yup, acrylic! When my grandchildren were babies, I used a lot of acrylic! There are some very nice looking, affordably priced acrylic yarns! Red Heart Soft and a few other 'Soft' labels are my favorites. Acrylics are great for babies and kids' wearables, and being totally machine washable/dryable the mother isn't burdened with hand-washing.

I thought, for sure, a 'floor blanket' should be machine washable.

aprilbetty
01-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Love the colors you chose, and that is a perfect gift. Can't wait to see what else you will knit for the baby.

kmaclean
01-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Looks great so far! I love the colors you chose ... will be great for either a boy or a girl. :yay:

I love the look of log cabin blankets - I've seen several posted here and it's making me want to try one!

Lana
01-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Gorgeous color combo.
Looks like it will be nice and cushy too.

You seem to find the very best patterns to knit.
I can't wait to see what baby patterns you pick.

No pressure here, but get crackin'. :teehee:

trvvn5
01-19-2011, 10:17 PM
I really like that. Awesome color choices. That's a fantastic pattern.

I'm ok with acrylic, but only on baby stuff. It's easy to wash and it doens't harbor bacteria or dust mites well. Good for babies.

Debkcs
01-20-2011, 04:38 AM
Really gorgeous! I'm off to Freddie's tomorrow praying the sale is still on. Good friend is having a baben in May. Those colors are wonderful!

WandaT
01-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Love it! Those colors are gorgeous!

Breezed
01-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Love the colors, love the pattern, and mostly love your work. I say it everytime but I mean it, everything you do is so professional looking and just beautiful.

Jaxhil
02-04-2011, 09:41 AM
:muah: I LOVE this!! What great color choices and the thick, cushy, & easy-care yarn is perfect for a new baby. Love the Log Cabin pattern as well!