PDA

View Full Version : Made This Sweater in FIVE Days

PinkRoses
01-21-2011, 07:33 AM
This is for my Daughter - it's made with red Lion Brand Homespun, and the pattern is from Bernat.com. It's Baby Boucle - knit hoodie.

I usually am no fan of Homespun, and it sure is difficult to knit with but, I happened to catch a decent sale. I figure this would make a good Valentine's Day gift. It's size 4T.

Mokumegane
01-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Nice! Yeah, I think the Lionbrand Homespun is pretty yarn... with the looks of it... but it's extremely easy to poke the needle into it or otherwise mess up with knitting it. Well, easier than most other medium weights, anyway. Compared to other yarns, it's a pain in the arse but does produce pretty results and it's not totally rough or anything... yeah... just working it is the problem I have... but I'd say, it's higher up on the wanted yarn list than Red Heart... hehe

Jannette
01-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Beautiful!

Stonington
01-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Love it!! - but agree Homespun is very difficult to work with. UGH. I tried to teach my SIL how to crochet a prayer shawl with it... poor kid... she kept plugging away because that is the ONLY yarn the churchgroup will use.

suzeeq
01-21-2011, 10:52 AM
That's cute and a nice Valentiney color.

The trick with Homespun is to use at least a size 11 needle (or equivalent larger hook) with it. The bigger sts help keep the needle from picking up the strand that's wrapped around it; also hold it loosely so it doesn't bunch up.

Mokumegane
01-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Lol, that's my problem there... but hey, I don't like the chunky-looking knits... so... eh, I just persevere! Hey, part of perspire is in there and that means you're working hard, right? :teehee: I do like the look of the homespun enough to use it with smaller needles, though. I just choose things that aren't too complicated for working with a pain in the butt yarn!

Breezed
01-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Very cute sweater, I can't believe you did it so quickly. I actually love Homespun. I knitted my first project with it so I guess I attributed the difficulty to learning the knitting itself. It is so soft and fluffy and the color combos are just wonderful to me.

ArtLady1981
01-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Very nice! It looks so evenly knit, to! Great work!

kmaclean
01-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Very nice work! I'm sure your daughter will love it! :yay:

Smee
01-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Now that is nice! I love how bright that red is. :yay:

TrueIconoclast
01-21-2011, 07:06 PM
That was the kind of sweater that I would beg for when I was a little girl lol. I hope your daughter's instincts are better than mine were when I was little - I would finally get a jacket like that after asking for so long, and then go roll around in the grass and make mud pies while wearing it lol.
It's beautiful!!!!!

salmonmac
01-21-2011, 07:15 PM
It's perfect! I love the red color and your daughter will look adorable in it.

TEMA
01-22-2011, 12:25 AM
Your daughter is beautiful. This sweater will look wonderful on her. Congratulations of being able to knit it up so fast...
Love the colour!
TEMA:yay:

WandaT
01-22-2011, 09:23 AM
It's beautiful!! Great job and you did it FAST! :) I don't like working with Homespun either but it's so soft and such pretty colors, isn't it?

RuthieinMaryland
01-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi! :waving:

That is WONDERFUL work!

And yes, I am a fan of Homespun!!! My two warmest afghans are made with Homespun and they've really come in handy with our temperatures here in Maryland heading toward 10 degrees! (With a wind chill below 0). One of the two is mine and one I made for a cousin who just had some surgery and is cozily recuperating under it! So it really was worth working with it!

The trick, I think, is to work with larger needles where possible but even working with smaller ones, keep your hands and arms relaxed and don't tighten up! You'll just get sore muscles.

Well done on doing such a beautiful project with your Homespun and for doing it so quickly! You're awesome! :yay:

Hugs,
Ruthie

PinkRoses
01-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Thank you so much for all the nice responses. :muah: I made this on size 8 needles. I think the two biggest things I needed were a lot of lighting and careful attention to detail so I wouldn't poke through the yarn.

I just finished it on the morning of a big storm we had here in MA so it was PERFECT timing. I put it on my Daughter and it was so warm and cozy for her. I got it done so quickly because I've just been so nervous worrying about differnt things (like we all do) and it just gave me something to focus on. I'm now working on a crochet sweater for her. Very basic pattern because the more complicated one I first chose just was turning into a mess.

crazykntter83
01-22-2011, 11:42 PM
Thank you so much for all the nice responses. :muah: I made this on size 8 needles. I think the two biggest things I needed were a lot of lighting and careful attention to detail so I wouldn't poke through the yarn.

I just finished it on the morning of a big storm we had here in MA so it was PERFECT timing. I put it on my Daughter and it was so warm and cozy for her. I got it done so quickly because I've just been so nervous worrying about differnt things (like we all do) and it just gave me something to focus on. I'm now working on a crochet sweater for her. Very basic pattern because the more complicated one I first chose just was turning into a mess.
I know what you mean about stress knitting! It always helps me to knit to take my mind off things. You get to concentrating on the pattern and being frustrated with that, you don't really worry about life's other stresses.
I hope whatever is worrying you gets better. :hug:

Jmstorm
01-24-2011, 09:22 PM
That is gorgeous! I am highly impressed :) I have used Homespun for several scarves for family members and I really like how it works up. Now I was crocheting it instead of knitting but I too had a little bit of difficulty with it. It's my favorite scarf though :) It keeps me nice and warm! And the other 3 people I made them for really like them too.

Jackie M.
01-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Hi! :waving:

And yes, I am a fan of Homespun!!! My two warmest afghans are made with Homespun and they've really come in handy with our temperatures here in Maryland heading toward 10 degrees! (With a wind chill below 0). One of the two is mine and one I made for a cousin who just had some surgery and is cozily recuperating under it! So it really was worth working with it!
Hugs,
Ruthie

How do you wash and dry a Homepun afghan?

Jackie M.
01-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Lisa..I love the sweater and I love Homespun yarn. I have only knit Prayer shawls, but never had trouble using the larger needle that most shawls call for with the Homespun.