PDA

View Full Version : How much yarn should I get?

Sunshine's Mom
01-21-2011, 01:47 PM
I'd like to knit this sweater: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80389AD.html?noImages=#materialsMenu

However, I'd like to make a large and I don't know how much yarn I should buy. It says the pattern is written for the smallest size (XS) and that takes 4 skeins apparently, according to their list for what to buy. How many do you think it will take for a large?

Thanks in advance for the input.

suzeeq
01-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Oh wow, usually they say how much for different sizes. I looked and the ones on Ravelry said they used 5 total for a Large.

Sunshine's Mom
01-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks, Suzeeq. I'll get six to be on the safe side.

Another thought - - Do you think it would be possible to knit this in the round and forget about the button altogether?

suzeeq
01-21-2011, 03:24 PM
You can knit it seamlessly but unles you want to knit a tube and cut it, or make a pullover, that's not the same as 'in the round'. But it looks like it's already knit in one piece, you CO the lower band though it looks like you bind off and pick up sts for the body. That's not really necessary if you don't want to, just leave the sts live, and decrease them on the last row of the ribbing. Then work the body up to the underarms and do the bind off for them. Knit your sleeves to the underam, BO 4 sts there for each one. Join the sleeve sts to the body sts by knitting them all on to one needle and follow the raglan shaping instructions.