PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Knitting Needles

VetKnitter
01-21-2011, 05:53 PM
I have tried several different types of needles and found that I love bamboo needles. Looking for advice from experienced knitters about a good brand of bamboo needles. Which ones do you like working with the best?

Jan in CA
01-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Straights or circular? For DPNs I like Clover brand myself. They are very smooth. If I wanted circular wood needles (not bamboo though) I'd go with Knitpicks Harmony.

suzeeq
01-21-2011, 06:14 PM
I have several Clover circs and like them, you do need to give 'em the hot water treatment a couple times though to straighten them. The knit picks harmonys are great though, the cord doesn't need straightening.

trvvn5
01-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Is the cord for the Harmony's the same as for the Options?

kmaclean
01-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Is the cord for the Harmony's the same as for the Options?

Yeah, the KnitPicks interchangeables are all the same ... only the needle tips are different. You could buy all three kinds of different tips and use the same cables and accessories with them. :thumbsup:

salmonmac
01-22-2011, 07:00 AM
The first set of dpns that I bought was aluminum. They kept sliding out of my work much to my husband's amusement (it seemed less funny to me). I gave up dpns until I tried bamboo and never looked back. The Clover needles are lovely and smooth and I think 'grab' your work perfectly.

trvvn5
01-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Yeah, the KnitPicks interchangeables are all the same ... only the needle tips are different. You could buy all three kinds of different tips and use the same cables and accessories with them. :thumbsup:

Thats awesome. Those cables are fantastic. They don't curl right out of the box.

STHLMgreen
01-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Me too! I love love love my bamboo needles. Mine are Drops Design (www.garnstudio.com) 10 mm. I picked them us at a secondhand shops for very little money so I thought I'd give them a try. Brilliant. Very nice to work with.

I got a 4mm bamboo crochet hook with an issue of Simply Knitting (UK) and love working with it too. It doesn't have a brand name on it though.

knitcindy
01-22-2011, 12:04 PM
I LOVE the Clover bamboo straight needles the best. At first, I didn't know there were different brands and bought some no-name bamboo ones @ Walmart. THEN I happened to buy a whole set of Clover bamboo straights at an estate sale (size 3-10) and love them to BITS!!!!!!! Feel so smooth and silky.

VERY comfortable to work with!!

knitcindy

suzeeq
01-22-2011, 12:59 PM
If you ever want some larger size Clover straights let me know; I have a 13 and 15 that were given to me and I only use circs.

Jackie M.
01-26-2011, 10:34 PM
I have several Clover circs and like them, you do need to give 'em the hot water treatment a couple times though to straighten them. The knit picks harmonys are great though, the cord doesn't need straightening.

What is the hot water treatment?

suzeeq
01-27-2011, 10:37 AM
It was mentioned above I thought....

Get some water to the boil, then dip the cords only it it for a couple minutes, hold them out straight as they cool.