PDA

View Full Version : So hard to choose a COLOR!

CoolWool
01-22-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm going to make this spring sweater (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss10/PATTemmaline.php?printOption=printNoImages) and I'm actually going to order the classic elite verde yarn (http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-weight-bulky/webs-knitting-yarns-classic-elite-verde-collection-sprout/) that she used. And I'm sitting here, credit card in hand, ready to order it - - AND I CAN'T CHOOSE A DANG COLOR. Is there a trick to this? I naturally gravitate to bright colors like yellow, orange, and green. So my first thought was the galapogos green. But then my husband said that it needed to stay a natural color like in the picture. And I'm kind of pale so the limeade color that I like would probably wash me out. Husband suggested old lavender or mint but I really don't like either one of those. It's so ironic that when you knit, you have a ton of color to choose from which makes it more fun - - but also makes it so hard to choose. lol/cry :??

I've narrowed it down to these colors:
Glacier
Sepia
Limade
Cool Olive
Summer Rain
Candytuft

Jan in CA
01-22-2011, 01:50 PM
It's always tough selecting colors. :lol: Of your choices listed I like glacier and candytuft. Sepia is pretty if you want a more neutral color.

trvvn5
01-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Glacier
Sepia
Limade
Cool Olive
Summer Rain
Candytuft

Glacier I really like, but I think you'll have to be very fair skinned or dark complected to pull off such a pale shade, otherwise you'll just wash yourself out.

Sepia is nice but it doesn't scream spring to me, it more feels early fall.

Limeade, similar feelings as Sepia.

Cool Olive feels fall.

Summer Rain is very similar to glacier, amazing color though.

I really like Candytuft. It feels spring into early summer. It would work with a range of complexions. It's vibrant and youthful. I love it.

twoxover
01-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Glacier
Sepia
Limade
Cool Olive
Summer Rain
Candytuft[/QUOTE]

i really like GLacier, summer rain and candytuft....and i LOVE the sweater! will you knit me one next???:aww:

Antares
01-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Think about the colors you would normally wear (that make you look good) and then choose one that is similar.

CoolWool
01-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Think about the colors you would normally wear (that make you look good) and then choose one that is similar.

I usually wear white. :eyebrow2: White would be cool except if I dropped something on it, this is going to be a LOT more difficult to replace. So I better make it a different color...

Ingrid
01-23-2011, 12:30 AM
I like chickory and smokey lavender and dreamsickle. Big help, huh:shifty:

kmaclean
01-23-2011, 12:50 AM
I like Candytuft, as well as fuschia, salvia red and sassafrass tea. I prefer brighter colors too, so that I was drawn to! :thumbsup:

crazykntter83
01-23-2011, 12:55 AM
I really like candytuft, but then I love pink in any shade lol. I hope you figure out a color that works for you soon. :)

Mokumegane
01-23-2011, 10:31 AM
For me, it would be between the Wisteria and Glacier colors... the mint is nice, too, though.

CoolWool
01-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Well gang, I finally decided. Ended up going with my ORIGINAL choice (before my husband said I should go more natural) and that's...

DRUM ROLL....

Galapagos! That's right, bright green. I'm goin' for it. :woot: Spent a small fortune on the yarn and the THREE NEEDLES needed to knit it. US# 10.75's? Really?? But hopefully I'll pull it off and it'll be awesome.

Jan in CA
01-23-2011, 12:57 PM
US needles don't come in a 10.75...you mean 10.5 right? The yarn is bulky I think so that's why the big needles.

CoolWool
01-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Nope, beg to differ. This pattern calls for 10.75 aka 7mm. Check it out here (http://www.yarn-store.com/circular-knitting-needles-7.0mm.html). Yeah 10.5 would have been nice since I could find those locally - grr. I considered going up to 11 but I wanted the exact same materials this chick used. I'm not at the point where I can mix and match yarn and needles and make up for it, ya know what I mean? Hopefully I'll be that good someday so I won't have to order any more wack-a-doo needles.

crazykntter83
01-23-2011, 03:20 PM
I was looking at the prices on the website you linked and the needles were expensive. I looked on knitpicks (http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Options_Interchangeable_Nickel_Plated_Circular_Kni tting_Needle_Tips__DKPNDLETIP.html), and they have some 10.75 needles for much cheaper, if money is an object. Good luck with your project. :)

Jan in CA
01-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Interesting. I just looked on a needle size site and didn't see that. Thanks for straightening me out. :lol:

kmaclean
01-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Congrats on your color decision! :clink:

And I'm glad you stuck to your original choice and went with the Galapagos green rather than being swayed in a different direction ... I'm sure you'll love it! :woot:

Woodi
01-24-2011, 09:24 AM
I too am glad you went with your heart's choice. After all, if YOU will be wearing it, you want to feel good in your color. Also, it's impt to choose a color that goes with your complexion, your hair coloring.....not what other people like on them. Shoot, that would be just silly!

Looking forward to seeing your progress with it...