PDA

View Full Version : Knit&Purl

Desta
01-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Hi,

I am wanting to knit a shirt so it says to CO 45 sts,
Row1(WS):Knit
Row2:*K2tog,Yo;rep from*to last st,K1. First I am supposed to chose which CO I want?? Because it only says CO 45 sts and in row 1 it says to knit which makes the other side purl and then row 2 it says to K2tog
now should I K2tog on the purl side same way I would have if it were the knit side???

InChristAlone
01-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Where exactly, does it say to purl in the pattern? Because you've only given Row1 and Row2.

I can try to answer your question anyway though...

If it says K2tog, the knit two together, unless it specifies to P2tog, instead of K.

Desta
01-24-2011, 01:14 PM
It doesn't say to purl what I mean is when you knit one side the other side will be like a purl right so that's the first row then the 2nd row it says to K2tog it doesn't say P2tog so I am supposed to K2tog?

kmaclean
01-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Yes, just follow what the pattern says and do a K2TOG. If they had intended you to P2TOG then they would have said that.

You are right that the reverse of a knit is a purl (and vice versa), but you don't need to be thinking about that when you're following the pattern .... just do what they tell you to. :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
01-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Can you please link to your pattern and tell us what the pattern name is? It helps a lot for us to see the pattern when we help you. (Don't post the entire pattern)

Your poll doesn't make sense so I didn't vote.

Desta
01-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Ok thanks :)! And what about the CO do I choose which CO I want myself? The pattern name is ARIEL HALTER.

And about the poll I had no idea what I was supposed to do so I just posted it that way XD!

Jan in CA
01-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Hmm..I can't find the pattern.

You said in your first post that the pattern says to CO 45 so that's what I'd do unless there are different sizes and then you choose which size and cast on accordingly. If it's one size... cast on 45.

Just follow the pattern and don't second guess it. If you run into a problem then you deal with it. :thumbsup:

Desta
01-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Ok thanks!

Debbie
01-24-2011, 07:19 PM
If the pattern does not tell you to purl ... then you knit on both sides and your "fabric" will be garter stitch. (all knit, no purling) It will be "bumpy" on both sides rather than having V's on one side which is called stockinette.