PDA

View Full Version : Sport weight yarn

cakelady
01-24-2011, 03:52 PM
I have a pattern that calls for 9 Luxury sport weight yarn 50gram balls, 110 yards each. I substituted Knitpicks Wool of the Andes sport weight yarn 50gram balls, 137 yards each. I have the correct gauge.
I thought I would have enough yarn since I bought 9 balls of Knitpicks Wool of the Andes which has more yardage but I don't think I will have anywhere near the amount to finish the sweater. Why is there such a difference in yardage for a 50 gram ball? And why is a bigger yardage not going as far as the pattern would indicate?
Thanks again.

Jan in CA
01-24-2011, 04:35 PM
What is the pattern..can you link to it? It helps when asking questions if we can see the a pattern.

Are you sure you got enough yarn for your size? Are you using the same needle size? The only thing I can think of offhand other than that is that the yarn itself is not quite the same weight..it should be though. :think:

cakelady
01-24-2011, 07:09 PM
I bought this pattern at a show. I contacted the designer who said I must have gotten an old version of the pattern that was using a different yarn and that the current instructions call for LUXURY, 100% Superfine Alpaca. The yardage needed is -- 19 balls -- 3,496 yards (3,192 meters). Needle size US 7 (4.5 mm).

Now I see why I don't have enough yarn since I purchased the amount that was printed on the pattern!
At least I know why I didn't seem to have enough yarn. Since I have the correct gauge using Knitpicks Wood of the Andes I will order more of that yarn so I can finish the project.
Thanks for your help.

Jan in CA
01-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Oh no..that's awful though! What a pain in the neck! I'm glad you were able to contact the designer so she could help you out!

Sheri
01-25-2011, 07:54 PM
I'd worry about the new dye lot not matching the yarn you have. Can you send it back if it's way off?