PDA

View Full Version : CAT AND DOG BEDS!!!!

thisisme7899
01-25-2011, 09:27 AM
HI! My name is Moriah and I have a place in my heart for strays and foster children. My family takes care of foster babies, and I was also born into foster care, not for long, but... yea. I almost got my mom to let us try fostering dogs, but that might be more painful then the foster babies. So, I decided, why not knit for strays? Most animal shelters will probably be cool with it! After all, most of the animals sleep on the floor since animal shelters don't have money to buy animal beds! So, Please! Please! Please! Pleeeaseee help me by making animal beds for the animals. This book called "Ghost dog secrets" by Peg Kehret has a cat blanket pattern in the very back. I make this bigger to make a dog bed. I have made several now, and would looooove help!!!!! all you really have to do is decide how many stitches to cast on, and then knit each row in "garter stitch" and do this until you reach desired length. any one in?

TrueIconoclast
01-25-2011, 07:12 PM
I also do knitting for homeless shelters, but I have a Robin Hood complex, and I feel the animals would help me fufill my need as well. I'm actually making my first dog bed for my dog right now. I'm doing it on 34" circulars; I cast on until I can't fit anymore stitches, and I'm just going to knit it in stockinette (on circulars, that's knit every row) until I feel it's long enough. Then stuff it with some goose down that I have (my down pillow ripped, I didn't want all that expensive down to go to waste, so I'm using it for stuffing other projects) and seam it up.

TrueIconoclast
01-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Although if there's no goose down available, batting would work just as well, and it's much cheaper.

cheley
01-25-2011, 07:16 PM
HI! My name is Moriah and I have a place in my heart for strays and foster children. My family takes care of foster babies, and I was also born into foster care, not for long, but... yea. I almost got my mom to let us try fostering dogs, but that might be more painful then the foster babies. So, I decided, why not knit for strays? Most animal shelters will probably be cool with it! After all, most of the animals sleep on the floor since animal shelters don't have money to buy animal beds! So, Please! Please! Please! Pleeeaseee help me by making animal beds for the animals. This book called "Ghost dog secrets" by Peg Kehret has a cat blanket pattern in the very back. I make this bigger to make a dog bed. I have made several now, and would looooove help!!!!! all you really have to do is decide how many stitches to cast on, and then knit each row in "garter stitch" and do this until you reach desired length. any one in? Do you want it in "pattern"?...

thisisme7899
01-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Do you want it in "pattern"?...
can you explain that? I am newer at knitting, not so sure with all the "K-ing slang" ;) I like to think that I know alot of them, but, who knows, lol. :lol: So... yea.. what did u mean by "Do you want it in "pattern"?..."

thisisme7899
01-27-2011, 09:24 AM
I also do knitting for homeless shelters, but I have a Robin Hood complex, and I feel the animals would help me fufill my need as well. I'm actually making my first dog bed for my dog right now. I'm doing it on 34" circulars; I cast on until I can't fit anymore stitches, and I'm just going to knit it in stockinette (on circulars, that's knit every row) until I feel it's long enough. Then stuff it with some goose down that I have (my down pillow ripped, I didn't want all that expensive down to go to waste, so I'm using it for stuffing other projects) and seam it up.

Nice!! :yay: If your dog could talk u would hear "I LOVE YOU!!!!" :heart: Thank you! :muah:
is "garter stitch" knit one row, purl one row? or is that stockinette?

And the pattern I talked about, I repeat that after finishing and sew them together to make it softer!

cheley
01-27-2011, 12:08 PM
can you explain that? I am newer at knitting, not so sure with all the "K-ing slang" ;) I like to think that I know alot of them, but, who knows, lol. :lol: So... yea.. what did u mean by "Do you want it in "pattern"?..." Knitting in "pattern"..would translate to
in "garter stitch" being the "pattern" you posted

cheley
01-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Nice!! :yay: If your dog could talk u would hear "I LOVE YOU!!!!" :heart: Thank you! :muah:
is "garter stitch" knit one row, purl one row? or is that stockinette?

And the pattern I talked about, I repeat that after finishing and sew them together to make it softer! On straight "needles" knitting back and forth (exchanging needles at the end of your work) would create "garter" stitch..On straight needles knit one row, purl the next row (again switching left and right needles) will create stockinette stitch.

thisisme7899
01-27-2011, 03:15 PM
cheley
thanks for the clarification.
The pattern is just knit all rows, until you feel like it is long enough, for a dog or a cat.
Then after you finish it, repeat it so that you have a second one, same size or a few stitches larger if you want to stuff it.
Sew it together, put the stuffing in If you want to.
And then it's done! :woot:
The needles i've been using are size 11 straight needles. They work pretty well. If you want, you can prob. go larger.
Thanks!

cheley
01-27-2011, 10:28 PM
cheley
thanks for the clarification.
The pattern is just knit all rows, until you feel like it is long enough, for a dog or a cat.
Then after you finish it, repeat it so that you have a second one, same size or a few stitches larger if you want to stuff it.
Sew it together, put the stuffing in If you want to.
And then it's done! :woot:
The needles i've been using are size 11 straight needles. They work pretty well. If you want, you can prob. go larger.
Thanks! You are welcome...Anytime!!:hug:glad to help

thisisme7899
01-28-2011, 09:09 AM
You are welcome...Anytime!!:hug:glad to help

:hug: the animals will be glad too. When you finish them, jst send them to a local animal shelter! We can help animals all over the world!!

Aramis3737
01-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Hello! I noticed you are knitting cat and dog beds and wanted to introduce my non-profit to you, since we donate knitted cat and dog beds to an animal shelter that cares for abused and abandoned animals. Please visit us at www.ARCnow.info. We stand for Awareness, Respect, Compassion, and we would love to work with you!

Best wishes,

Jee Jee Kim
(Aramis3737 on KnittingHelp and Ravelry)

thisisme7899
01-31-2011, 09:09 AM
Hello! I noticed you are knitting cat and dog beds and wanted to introduce my non-profit to you, since we donate knitted cat and dog beds to an animal shelter that cares for abused and abandoned animals. Please visit us at www.ARCnow.info. We stand for Awareness, Respect, Compassion, and we would love to work with you!

Best wishes,

Jee Jee Kim

That is soooo nice! I would love to try to work with you!!

thisisme7899
01-31-2011, 09:16 AM

Best wishes,

Jee Jee Kim

Sorry, I didn't get to finish my last one.
I am supper glad to help, because I hate the thought of animals being abused. In one of the last responses that I got on this topic, Someone said that their cats don't like garter stitch blankets, and she thinks that it is because maybe their claws get caught. What have you found? Is there a different stitch we should be doing? I personally am working with like size 9 knitting needles, do you think I should go smaller?

cheley
01-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Sorry, I didn't get to finish my last one.
I am supper glad to help, because I hate the thought of animals being abused. In one of the last responses that I got on this topic, Someone said that their cats don't like garter stitch blankets, and she thinks that it is because maybe their claws get caught. What have you found? Is there a different stitch we should be doing? I personally am working with like size 9 knitting needles, do you think I should go smaller? Why don't you start a "Pet Snuggle" project? Back in the day, a group here on the Forum (Under Pet Snuggle) had a very nice group..someone starts the project, then mails to another etc etc..then donates to local animal shelter....look at all the posts...I will help

thisisme7899
01-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Why don't you start a "Pet Snuggle" project? Back in the day, a group here on the Forum (Under Pet Snuggle) had a very nice group..someone starts the project, then mails to another etc etc..then donates to local animal shelter....look at all the posts...I will help

Ok! awsome! I'll start it now!

thisisme7899
01-31-2011, 03:06 PM
Why don't you start a "Pet Snuggle" project? Back in the day, a group here on the Forum (Under Pet Snuggle) had a very nice group..someone starts the project, then mails to another etc etc..then donates to local animal shelter....look at all the posts...I will help

It will be under the "charity knitting"!

thisisme7899
01-31-2011, 03:15 PM
There is a pattern I found for making animal beds. Plz try making this and send the pattern to others! Spread the love for animals without a home!:waah:
Materials:

10 knitting needles
Worsted weight yarn
Eyelash yarn

Models were made with Lions Brand "Homespun" worsted weight yarn and "Fun Fur" eyelash yarn.

This pattern is an adaptation of the Easy Knit Snuggle Pattern.

Instructions:
Work with both yarns together. Cast on as many stitches as you will need for your particular size Snuggle. Then simply knit every row.

This pattern becomes more fun as you progress. It works up very fast. The resulting Snuggle is both a toy and a security mat giving its owner lots of hours of enjoyment.

When you are done, Donate to a local animal shelter or I will be giving more choices later!:hug:

Shandeh
02-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Hi Moriah!
Cheley was referring to our "Oddball Pet Snuggles", which already has a discussion thread going in the forum. That project has been going on for a few years, and we've knit several small blankets for animal shelter cages.
Oddball Pet Snuggles (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83565)

It's not necessary for you to join our group, unless you want to. You can just keep going with the discussion thread you have started right here. Your idea is a good one! :thumbsup:

Each person can make their own pet bed, as you suggested, and can deliver their animal bed to a shelter in their area. Quick and easy! :)

thisisme7899
02-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks! I am glad I can help animals! Can You send me the pattern?? Plz? Thanks! :muah:

Shandeh
02-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks! I am glad I can help animals! Can You send me the pattern?? Plz? Thanks! :muah:

Well, it's not really a "pattern" per se, more like a simple garter stitch blanket.

We use 2 strands of cotton or acrylic yarn held together throughout, and cast on 72 stitches. 5 knitters take turns knitting 5 inch sections of the snuggle. You can see the blog for the Oddball Pet Snuggles here: http://oddballsnuggles.blogspot.com/

I've attached 2 photos of our Snuggles. One is completed, and the other is in progress after two knitters have worked on it.

thisisme7899
02-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Those are quite beautiful! It seems that cats love them already lol
I like how you're doing it, i personally can't send my projects places because I don't really have the money. I am 15, in highschool, and I think I am developing Carpal Tunnal, or something... But i applaud you! :yay: :cheering:

-Moriah

fatoldladyinpjs
02-21-2011, 07:20 PM
This is a good way to use up all those odds and ends that are too small to knit anything with but you don't have the heart to throw away. Cats love bright colors. When I was first attempting to do fair isle knitting, I practiced by making them sleeping blankets.

fatoldladyinpjs
02-21-2011, 07:32 PM
These animal blankets are a great way to use up yarn that's too small to make anything but that you don't have the heart to throw out. You can knit stripes with the remnants. Cats love color. When I first started doing fair isle knitting, I practiced by making them sleeping blankets. They have some of the prettiest in town, if I do say so myself. lol

thisisme7899
02-24-2011, 03:49 PM
lol, nice! I am pausing on making a animal bed right now, and making my mom a sweater, bc her birthday is comming up soon! And I want to make her an awsome present! It'll be my first sweater I've made!

thisisme7899
03-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Hello every one! I know I have not posted online for a while. I hope you have all been helping with the making of animal beds. I have almost finished anouther one, it is quite large. I think it will be really nice!

fatoldladyinpjs
03-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Will be happy to join you in another month or two. Right now, I'm busy knitting mittens for my local elementary school. The staff says kids are in the office looking for mittens every day. We just had a big snow storm yesterday and I dropped off several pair which were greatly appreciated. My cats love blankets knit in all garter stitch with soft homespun boucle yarn. Hope that helps you.

thisisme7899
03-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks! And I bet those children are happy for those mittens! They are probably making the other children want to pretend that they dont have mittens, so they can get ones like yours! Thanks from me and most likely, from those children also!

kitchnerkat
05-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Thank you for the clairfication and the idea. That is such a nice way to use up yarn. I know my little furry friend wouldn't care if his colors didn't match perfectly.

thisisme7899
05-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Nope! And if there are strings that you cut in the middle of the work, all you have to do with those is make them all on one side of the piece, and make that the inside, creating anouther one, and sewing them together, making them a little softer! You can probably stuff them if you want to also! :happydance:

thisisme7899
05-11-2011, 02:20 PM
lol, nice! I am pausing on making a animal bed right now, and making my mom a sweater, bc her birthday is comming up soon! And I want to make her an awsome present! It'll be my first sweater I've made!

Just a quick update on this post from a while ago! I have the sweater all pinned up, one side slot is sewn up, and it was Unfortunately4 inches too short! so I started making a border on it! The border looks pretty nice on it, but i have had to pause all knitting for awhile.
I was stuped, and I left my hand where it could get shut in the door of the car, and my best friend shut her car door, and I, of course, had my hand in the way, so it was shut on! It hurts pretty badly, and I am certain that I will end up will some bruses.

fatoldladyinpjs
05-12-2011, 10:02 AM
I contacted my local shelter to get the exact size they needed for the cages. This website says that brightly colored blankets will calm the animals and help them to get adopted rather than euthanized. In my sales career, I know that bright colors and patterns draws people to your product, in this case the cats and dogs, and sells.

http://volunteerguide.org/volunteer/fewhours/animal-shelters.htm

thisisme7899
05-17-2011, 02:52 PM
I contacted my local shelter to get the exact size they needed for the cages. This website says that brightly colored blankets will calm the animals and help them to get adopted rather than euthanized. In my sales career, I know that bright colors and patterns draws people to your product, in this case the cats and dogs, and sells.

http://volunteerguide.org/volunteer/fewhours/animal-shelters.htm

That is great!! I am so glad that you went that far as to do that! A million thanks to you from my 15 year old heart!! :muah: If you could forward the size of the cages, that would probably give others a idea on how big the beds/blankets should be.
Thanks!

ginas23
06-28-2011, 10:25 AM
HI! My name is Moriah and I have a place in my heart for strays and foster children. My family takes care of foster babies, and I was also born into foster care, not for long, but... yea. I almost got my mom to let us try fostering dogs, but that might be more painful then the foster babies. So, I decided, why not knit for strays? Most animal shelters will probably be cool with it! After all, most of the animals sleep on the floor since animal shelters don't have money to buy animal beds! So, Please! Please! Please! Pleeeaseee help me by making animal beds for the animals. This book called "Ghost dog secrets" by Peg Kehret has a cat blanket pattern in the very back. I make this bigger to make a dog bed. I have made several now, and would looooove help!!!!! all you really have to do is decide how many stitches to cast on, and then knit each row in "garter stitch" and do this until you reach desired length. any one in?

Hi Moriah,

This is the way i make dog and cat blankets. it's called double knitting and makes 2 layers, stockinette on each side...Very easy.

Cast on an even number of stitches as wide as you like.

K1, slip1, across...That's all there is to it and it makes the bed softer...I use worsted weight and have made them for all my friends and family's pets.

ginas23
06-28-2011, 02:03 PM
I should have said...K1, slip one as if to purl...with the yarn in front, then put the yarn in back to knit the next stitch, and so on.

Chelsea716Knits
12-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Hi Momo!
I love this idea!!!! The only downside is... I live on the other side of the city from my local pet shelter. It is a hour drive from my house and I would have to have my mom drive me. :(
Here is a tip: Try to make squares and stitch them together (Like blue, pink, lime green, So bright colours). It looks cute, is comfy and pets love it! I'm going to make a blanket for my little dog, named Rico!

From my 12 year heart,

Chelsea

cheley
01-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Hi Momo!
I love this idea!!!! The only downside is... I live on the other side of the city from my local pet shelter. It is a hour drive from my house and I would have to have my mom drive me. :(
Here is a tip: Try to make squares and stitch them together (Like blue, pink, lime green, So bright colours). It looks cute, is comfy and pets love it! I'm going to make a blanket for my little dog, named Rico!

From my 12 year heart,

Chelsea Hi all..and Happy New Year:clink: I have completed all my needle work commitments and ready to join in on the blankets...I visited our local APL ( within walking distance of me) and I was very surprised at how "chilly" it was in there..but let's face it, it's better there than 20 below zero...So here's my commitment, if anyone would like to send me there project, I will finish and hand deliver to Friendship APL, here in Elyria, Ohio..I did work on pet snuggles awhile back...So pm me I will forward my address on to you:hug: